“One night stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Groton
Rensselaer, New York
“One night stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

It was clean, staff was friendly and helpful but the place really needs to be updated. The rooms had a slight odor in them when you entered them but they did appear clean. For a Quality Inn chain, they should take the time to update all outdated hotels. This is a motel style place, the lobby smelled strongly of chlorine as the pool is inside. We did have some breakfast in the morning and much to our surprise, the area was pretty emptied for a Sunday morning breakfast. Basic stuff, a couple of cereal choices, muffins, toast, hard boil eggs, sausage, yogurt and a waffle maker with juice and coffee. Probably won't stay here again. I prefer better updated rooms.

Room Tip: The parking spots in the back are very small but the back rooms were quiet. Not a lot of noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Norwalk, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

At the last minute we decided to attend a show at Foxwoods and stay overnight. This place is about 25 minutes from there.Since we were staying at the last minute, we did pay a premium price of about $150+ for one night. When we checked in, the front desk staff was friendly and efficient. The lock on the door was a little tricky and I never did figure out how to open it from the outside. Thank goodness my husband was quick enough to get it to open. When I entered the room the first thing I saw was the old furniture which looked like it had mud on it. Upon further inspection, I could see that it was not mud but the finish had been rubbed off from years of use. The maids had done a good job cleaning but that didn't make up for the true need for this hotel to be renovated. The carpet was vacuumed but really needs to be replaced. The tile in the bathroom had been cleaned but the grout and the corners need more attention. The fixtures were clean but again they were worn. We did not use the pool and did not have the continental breakfast.
I'm giving this place two stars. The staff was friendly, the maids did what they could with a run down room but give me a break....$150 for this was highway robbery!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Under ideal circumstances, this is a slightly below average Quality Inn that would be worthy of a 3-star rating on tripadvisor, if for no other reason than it offers good value in an expensive motel market. We're talking 1970s-style Holiday Inn here, with exterior doors, small bathrooms and stairs. The property has seen enough TLC, though, so the rooms are reasonably modern and there's a somewhat surprising indoor swimming pool on premises (we didn't use it).

What made my stay unpleasant, though, was that my family couldn't grab anything for breakfast. The motel was hosting some sort of youth group of about 50 people who all descended on breakfast at the same time. The property had one toaster, with 2 of its 4 slots broken, and a single waffle maker. They put out some sausage patties, and no other hot foods. The pastries looked terrible. Unwilling to wait on a 10-person line to use the toaster or waffle maker, we left un-fed.

I know it can be lucrative business for a motel to host a group, but you can't make your other guests suffer. Reasonable preparations must be made for a group (like providing extra food and cooking equipment) or at least ask them to stagger their breakfast times.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
North Dighton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here on a recent trip to Foxwoods and The Mohegan Sun.We had priced hotel rooms at both casinos and found the weekend prices absolutely ridiculous. The rates here were reasonable and the staff friendly. The walls are a little thin but we offset it by running the fan on the AC unit. We found our room clean and the the bed was comfortable. We didn't get a chance to try the free breakfast but the couple we traveled with did and said it was good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rockaway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Good location and close to casino (Mohegan Sun). The rooms were clean, spacious and the bed comfortable, but no frig in the room - just a microwave and coffee pot. Breakfast was free; however, I have had better. The entrance to the all the rooms are on the outside of the building. My major complaint was that at 7:00 pm at night, we were told that we were too loud (we booked four rooms and we're discussing who was driving who outside our rooms). At that time, we were also told that no one is allowed to hang outside their rooms past 10:00 pm. So if you want to stay up past 10:00 pm and hang outside your room - do not book here. Again, good location for the casino, but I would not stay there again because of the "curfew".

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Fairfield, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

On Thursday, April 25, 2013, I stayed in Room 357 (2nd floor), all the way at the end, because I requested a quiet room. It was definitely quiet - no highway noise and away from stairwell so no foot traffic noise. The building is older and it's 'motel style' in that your room door opens to the outdoors (covered) and you can access your room directly from the parking lot. So you have to be OK with this motel-style to stay here. The walkway outside my room was concrete and needed re-painting, hinges were a bit rusted, and there was a little peeling/dents in the wallpaper in my room, but that goes with older buildings. For the price, you can't beat it! The desk staff were professional and friendly when I called to make my reservation, when I checked in, and every time I passed the desk to go to and from my room. Because I got such a great deal on the room ($49.50 per night on a Thursday night with AAA discount), I was a little worried that maybe the location wasn't great. I'm a small female and I was traveling alone, so I think about safety. But the location is fine. Safe, but remote. The hotel is not very close to any other buildings, but there are 2 restaurants right around the corner (I didn't eat at either), a motel across the street, and access to 95 is easy. No evidence of shady characters loitering or anything. I stayed here because I was attending a conference at the Marriott, but at $149/night, I couldn't afford to stay at the Marriott. The Quality Inn is only 2 exits away from the Marriott (6 minute drive), 13 minutes form Mystic, and since the Inn is right off the highway, it is so convenient. Nice bedding, comfortable mattress, amenities, new TV, heat that turned on immediately and heated my room quickly. Clean room. The 1 downside is that I called 2 times in the AM around 7:00 AM Friday to ask a question, and no one picked up the phone either time. I chalked this up to them being busy, but it was a tiny bit annoying. I didn't try the continental breakfast, but I saw that they served a few pieces of fresh fruit but mostly muffins/bagels and coffee/tea. I would definitely recommend the Quality Inn in Groton.

Room Tip: Room 357 is very quiet. It is all the way at the end, away from the front desk and from foot traffic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were in town for a wedding in Old Saybrook but it seemed like all the motels there weren't that great so we ventured to Groton which the GPS says is 30 mins away but it never took us over 20. Very pleased with the Quality Inn! clean room and good bedding, not the gross floral polyester comforters that budget hotels often have. The bathroom even has a sauna in it! Heated indoor pool was a nice addition considering the other options in the area were the same price and didn't have an indoor pool. Really good bang for the buck, decent amount of options for the free breakfast every morning and friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!