“so close to mohegan sun” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Groton
nyc
“so close to mohegan sun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

my wife and i stayed one night,, 1st good rate on room,, 2nd clean room we always check top of t.v. for dust and there was none, we are also freaked out by bed bugs,, so we check all over the mattress all bedding,, pick up the sheets and around the head board,, room was commom size but with a microwave and coffe pot,, and also a mini frigde. ,, very close to all attractions.. would definately stay again,, why would i pay a arm and a leg to stay at the main casino... .. ....... for more travel tips you can check my site REGULARJOETRAVEL.COM

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
peachland bc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

We search out Best Westerns as "you know what to expect" and are seldom dissapointed. Our stay at the Olympic Inn was great. The breakfast as noted by others was outstanding. The beds are a wee bit hard but better than saggy and old. Mystic Seaport should be on the "to do" list and so is the tour of the submarine. There is a KFC near by if eating in your room is what you like to do. Thanks, The Rodgers

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Martinez, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

The staff at this Best Western hotel went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. The rooms were clean, the staff was very accomodating when we needed to use the laundry facilities. Shirley, the front desk person helped us find our way about town and supplied as much information as we needed to visit an old neighborhood. Dee from the restaurant was a fountain of information.
The entire stay was very enjoyable, rooms clean, location perfect for touring surrounding sites.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

When I was checking in on the 19th September, this hotel asked for a credit card, which I gave them but I said I would pay in cash when I was leaving on 23rd. They said that was not a problem as they were only "blocking" the card. When I was leaving on the 23rd I asked if I paid in cash would they "unblock" my card right away? The checkout assistant said that it would be "unblocked". I asked specifically if they had already taken payment and the clerk said they had not. So I paid in cash. The reason that you would do this is that every time you use a non-dollar credit card to pay a dollar account you pay the bank a fee and an adverse rate of exchange. So in reality the bill costs a lot more, whereas blocking and unblocking costs me nothing.
On 25th I examined my bank statement online and discovered that this hotel had actually debited my bank account the full amount on the 22nd, that is the day before checking out. So I called the hotel, and got no satisfaction. In fact the supervisor, John was quite rude, said that there was nothing he could do, blamed my bank and then hung up on me quite politely. So this hotel knowingly (and criminally) took payment from me in cash on 23rd for a bill which they had already successfully charged me for the day before checking out. I tried to explain to John that I had stayed at 7 different hotels while my wife and I were touring New England, and that although I had treated payment the same way on each occasion, I had never been charged on the card. This fell on deaf ears. John assured me that I will get the payment back on my bank statement "within 7 to 10 days" but could not explain why this same treatment had not occurred with the other hotels we had visited. I have tried not to let this sour note otherwise influence my review of this hotel. The room was good value for the money providing you are paying just once. We asked for a quiet room, and were assured that the ground floor room was such. They did not tell us that the aircon was so noisy that you could not sleep with it on and did not mention that a local worthy parked his motor-cycle right outside our window every night and that he went out for ride every night at 2.30 am. The breakfast was a saving grace for this joint, but I could not recommend it for the reasons given. Simply put, if they had said to me honestly on 23rd that they had already been paid the full amount the day prior, I obviously would not have paid them again in cash when I was leaving. I would give “Best Western” a big miss if you are from out of town.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
bwolympicinn, Manager at BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn, responded to this review, October 2, 2010
At no point was this guest charged twice! The accusation that we have engaged in criminal activity is unwarranted and perhaps legal defamation, and I will pursue whatever legal recourse I have with tripadvisor and with this guest. When guest checked in, he paid with a debit card. Guest had decided to pay cash at check-out, at that time we issued a credit to his debit card but depending on issuing bank of the debit card, that credit may not show up immediately in your account. Guest was explained all of the above in two different conversations with guest representative Dwight and with myself over more than a half hour of discussion. Guest had insisted twice I was a thief during that conversation.

With guest's permission, I am more than happy to post a copy of guest's bill that will prove his debit card was credited when he changed his mind to pay in cash. And that we did NOT at ANY point charge his card twice.
hartford, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I planned a day at the beach and a night on the town for me and my special man. I live in CT and went onto the CTvisit.com and found Best Western has a Mohegan Sun Special. I have had very great experiences with Best Western. I called and booked the room and the room was to include free breakfast in the morning and a coupon voucher to play and eat at Mohegan Sun. I check in got my keys, got my free breakfast voucher and when I asked for my Mohegan sun voucher I was told that the only way to get it was the take THEIR shuttle to the casino so if I drive myself I can't get the voucher. I explained that that was not told to me nor is in on the CT visit website and that was a main reasons why I booked that special and I was told a rude Sorry those are the rules... proceeded to the room and when I opened the door was met by a very stale and stuffy smell like the window or AC weren't run in months.... the beds were hard as rocks and they had those flower coveralls that you know they don't wash. I called and ask for another room because the smell was really bad and guess what…. They gave me the room right next door. HAHAHA! Same smell same bed just on the different side of a wall...I couldn't believe it....We used the room for is purposed and left out on the town....Breakfast next morning wasn't all that great either! Never Again!er. Never again! Spend the extra and stay at The Hampton Inn right up the street. Wish I did!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Hartford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised with my stay. The room was really clean, and even though the room was hot (since they turn off the ac, and unplug the fridge), there was no lingering oders. The TV was equipt with a cable box and full channel guide (info) and 6 HBO channels. The room had a mini fridge (again, you had to plug it in), but it worked great. The staff was friendly and fresh cookies are made in the afternoon. The free buffet breakfast was in the dinner next door and included eggs, bacon and french toast. The breakfast was very generic and average, but it was great for FREE.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Scottsville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

This was a great hotel !! Nice rooms, and a very friendly staff ! Some things could have used a little updating but overall a great place to stay. They have a restaurant on site and the room service was a little slow for dinner cause they said they were very busy, but the breakfast buffet was pretty good. Lots of restaurants near by too and close to the highway.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn? Share your experiences!