“Family Vacation” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Groton
Sobieski, United States
“Family Vacation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Centrally located to area attractions. My son is stationed at the Naval Base is Groton, and the hotel is located within walking distance of Base Housing. The breakfast that is included with the room charge was hot, but had limited options, but was still good. We stayed four nights and only had one day where we didn't get maid service because when she came through we had not left our room and had a do not disturb sign out. We were out of the room by 10am but they did not come back to the room. Overall, it was a good hotel for what we paid and what was included with the price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Latham, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Shuttle was a treat considering how far they are from the casinos. The breakfast was well worth the stay. But the maintenance department was on vacation because we had many broken items but was never fixed. We don't think they cared much about correcting the issue either.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Winsted, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Next time I will pay more and stay at the Best Western Cristata! I only needed a room for 1 night to attend a concert at Mohegan. I stayed in Room 416 which was in need of some updating. The couch had several dark stains, the bed sheet and pillow cases had "mystery" stains. The bathroom had mold and the counter was in need of repair. There were two tiny bars of soap and 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner....no lotion etc. You can tell they provided the bare minimum. The room had a strange musty/air freshener smell, maybe housekeeping tried to cover the musty smell up? They didn't have any hotel pamphlets/local area info etc in the room and they didn't even provide the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign for the door like every other hotel I've ever stayed at. The free shuttle to the Casino runs hourly which is inconvenient. The Best Western Cristata provides a nice LIMO that is constantly making runs back and forth. I only chose the Olympic Inn because it was fairly cheap compared to the Cristata for 1 night in a King room. The free buffet breakfast was edible but I should have walked next door to Dunkin Donuts and just bought breakfast. The buffet area was messy, scrambled eggs on the counter, the cups for juice were sitting on a tray that looked dirty and had several hairs on it, gross! The unfriendly hostess that sat us down and then just hung out in the bar area should have spent some time cleaning up the food area. I don't think I'll stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicopee, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Every time I stay at this hotel I have a good experience, from the desk people checking us in,the shuttle bus drivers, housekeeping, and the waitress's and bartender's are always friendly. Rooms always clean. I always recommend this hotel to my family and friends.

Room Tip: I have stayed here several times and I haven't had a bad room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Loreto, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Upon checking in late, due to plane and train delays, the night manager wasn't very helpful and was down right rude. Credit card was not authorized, due to possible fraud, as my husband was out of the area of the usual charges By the time it was straightened out the next morning, he had enough of the office staff and for some reason the manager did not want to talk to him. The rooms were not that nice for the price, nor was the so called breakfast. He moved to another hotel that actually was cheaper and nicer. We always stay at a Best Western and this hotel was just not up to the others standards. It definately was not the "best". Our future trips to Groton, will not be at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
bwolympicinn, Owner at BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Jill Alley,

Thank you for your recent stay at our property.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is most important to us. I have you as checking in at 12:34 am on 6/27 and checking out less than 10 hours later. I am very sorry about your travel troubles and your credit card fraud. Apparently, this soured your perception of our property; staff, rooms, breakfast. We did extend the courtesy of holding the room for you even though your credit card had declined. The manager was diplomatic and cordial even though being screamed at. When we attempted to obtain an approval on the credit card given to confirm the reservation, an approval for the credit card transaction was declined. At that time, your reservation ceased to be a guaranteed reservation and therefore usually is cancelled.
Assurance of payment is needed by all hotels to guarantee payment and hold hotel rooms. Only this guarantee of payment allows hotels to turn away other potential paying guests. In the future, please be sure to guarantee all hotel reservations with a credit card that contains sufficient credit available to cover the charge of your hotel room. We certainly regret any inconvenience this has caused you.
There have been several guests in that room since your stay and they brought up no issues. We have VERY satisfied guests staying 45, 60 nights or more. They love it here, the friendliness of the staff, all the extra amenities at no charges, etc. They also comment on our huge free full hot breakfast buffet as an excellent free amenity. I'm so sorry we didn't leave you with that warm, fuzzy feeling as well.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 860-445-8000.

Mr. Christie Armaos
Vice President / Owner
New Haven, Connecticut, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here 6 months ago and was not very impressed. Many of the maintenance issues I posted about have been fixed. There are still some upgrading issues, but I do see the management has been addressing things. As before, staff is friendly, very courteous and helpful. Both in January and June, the mattress was great. No problem sleeping at all.

I am concerned with what looks like a structural leak in the ceiling by the pool area. That should get fixed quickly! The pool and gym area are clean, looks like it was recently re-tiled.

I would definitely come back here. Based on the changes from my earlier review, I think the management is serious about reading comments and getting things fixed, and that means a lot to me, that customers are taken seriously.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were in town for a family event, who insisted this was the best and closest hotel in the area.

For the rates, we were highly disappointed. Our average nightly rate was over $122/night (not including taxes). The rooms were mediocre, at best. We know this is the NE, and things are just smaller and more expensive here - but the upkeep and comfort was really lacking.

Just some examples in our room:

- The fire suppression sprinkler head in our room was missing its covering, just a big hole in the ceiling.
- The bathroom counter was falling apart
- The door lock kept failing - we went through 5 different keys in our stay, each time the staff insisting it was keeping the keys near our cell phones. Even when we never placed them in our wallets/purse - they still failed! We were locked out of room on way too many occasions.
- Our refrigerator never got cold enough to keep bottled water chilled.

And let's talk about the beds - they were terribly uncomfortable. I've seen comments from management around the web saying they were in process of replacing all mattresses as part of their updating. I have no clue if our room had old or new ones. If they were the old ones - they need replacement ASAP. If these were the new ones - really? You couldn't get decent mattresses?? These things are definitely the bottom of the barrel cheap variety.

The walls are also paper thin - we could hear our neighbor's every word to each other, including their phone calls. (Which meant they could hear ours too.) And we could hear every step in the hallway all night long.

The morning hot breakfast buffet was nice - but after two mornings, grew quite old with the limited selections. And after paying an inflated rate for our Saturday night stay, we were very disappointed that there were *less* options on Sunday morning than any other day! Really wished for more healthy options like fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, etc. Only so many morning's in a row that scrambled eggs and potatoes are interesting.

If we had paid half the rate, this would be more in line with our expectations. But at the prime rates they're charging - the expectations are just higher.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
bwolympicinn, Owner at BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Serolynne,

Thank you for your recent stay at our property.
We are very proud that your family member insisted we ARE the best in the area. Our returning satisfied, happy guests think so too, and we have heard that before so thank you. We are family owned and operated. We strive to treat each guest like family, we believe this practice of providing outstanding service and superior customer care is what sets us apart from our competitors.
Thank you for reporting the issues in your room, I wish we could've addressed them while you were here but I don't have a record of you reporting any of these to the front desk staff to alert maintenance or housekeeping to recify ANY problem in your room. Another option would have been to offer you a different room to your complete satisfaction.
Hotels always face the dilemma when purchasing mattresses of which level of firmness to buy. Some guests prefer a firmer mattress. We are sorry if this was uncomfortable for you. It is NOT bottom of the barrel cheap variety as you describe.
Your room rate is in line with comparable hotels in the area and less than the casinos and Mystic. Keep in mind you stayed on a weekend which is the highest in demand and therefore higher rates; supply and demand. If you can adjust your traveling to off peak times, you will enjoy the savings. We do include extra ameneties other hotels charge for: FREE unlimited breakfast buffet with extended serving times of 7 am - 11:30 am, FREE Mohegan Sun Casino shuttle service, FREE wired and wireless internet, FREE coffee and cookies. These "extras" that would add to your bill at other hotels make us a outstanding value.

Mr. Christie Armaos
Vice President / Owner
BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn

Been to BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn? Share your experiences!