“Last Minute Trip to Ct” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Groton
Upstate, NY
“Last Minute Trip to Ct”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

I chose this hotel for the indoor pool and the price. My husbands company was working on a job in nearby Waterbury, so I drove from upstate NY to CT. for the weekend. I found the hotel to be clean and the front desk staff to be very friendly. The pool was clean but the workout/fitness room is very small. Overall we had a nice stay with our 2 children. The only down side is that the walls are VERY thin. We could hear everything from our neighbors room (and I mean everything). All in all it was a nice hotel, very clean with a nice staff. The front desk even printed my directions for my return trip home.

• Liked — Easy access to the highway
  • Disliked — Thin Walls
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

Please read this before you consider staying there. I brought a group of ten people down for a bachlorette party, they didn't charge the room to the alloted credit card so two people in the bridal party had to pay for the rooms after already giving us their share of the money, a fuse whet out when we were staying and was not tripped until what we believe was a half and hour (we all congregated in the one room that still had power), this caused us to miss our "free" shuttle, in which they told us they couldn't get us another one because it was all booked and we should pay for our own cab to the casino, we had to cancel our dinner reservations because of the blown fuse, and then when we tried to reconcile all the payments on to one credit card, the managers wouldn't call us back, it took me four days and numerous phone calls to track them down when they were "avaliable" only to have one of the managers name Chris yell at me on the phone and not even allow me to have a discussion with him about what when on during our stay. I was infuriated, and never have been spoken to like that by anyone in the hospitality profession....I have never had a bad experience at a best western before, ******BUT I DO BELIEVE IT IS HOW THE MANAGERS RUN THIS INN THAT CAUSES IT TO BE A DISGRACE TO THE BEST WESTERN CHAIN.*********

• Liked — The cost
  • Disliked — How I was treated by the manager
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
cahorn2, owner and manager at BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2008
Chris manager owner here. I feel compelled to set the record straight on these guests. They had 6 girls in one room, They said there was 2 . They tripped the circuit themselves overloading it with hairdryers, curling irons, etc. It took only five minutes to reset circuit breaker. This is not the reason they were late. After they came back to hotel, police had to be called because of the noise. At check out, they never mentioned they wanted to split the bill, we could've done this no problem. I called guest to see if they wanted us to charge another credit card and credit the one that was charged. She became loud and abusive, not me. This guest is not allowed to stay at this property again. Chris Armaos Manager / Owner
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western Olympic in on Feb 15 - 17 for our Anniversary weekend. When we arrived we were an hour early for check in and they had no problem giving us our room early. When we checked in we also signed up for the complimentary shuttle to Mohegan Sun. The gentleman at the desk (Dwight) was very friendly and informative and gave us $10 in fun money to spend at the restaurant that was in the Hotel, Flanagans. Each night you stay, they give you $10 fun bucks.

We had a room with 2 double beds non smoking. (Im a smoker but hubby is not so I don't smoke in the room anyway) The room was clean and had a cube refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot. There is an ice maker on each floor so that was nice too. The heater worked great we actually had to turn it down. The beds were comfortable and the pillows seemed like new. Plenty of them too being there were 2 beds.

There is a pool and a jaccuzi in the hotel but we did not use it. We did take a walk on by it and it looked nice and was clean.

Shuttle... now this was great. Not only was it complimentary, but they gave you a coupon for a $10 bet at Mohegan and a coupon for a free buffet or $10 off at any other restaurant. (That is one coupon for each of us so we both ate for free and had a free bet.) Michael, our driver, was very friendly and had great stories to tell of people that have won at the casino whom he drove. He was the shuttle driver both nights and both nights he had a great smile on his face and seemed genuinely happy to be there. We didn't do as well at the casino as we hoped but hey... we had fun.

The restaurant in the hotel had very good food. Both hubby and I enjoyed it very much. One complaint is that they close at 11 PM. We got back to the hotel at around 11:30 and it would have been nice to have been able to have a night cap in the bar but it was closed.

The only complaint I have about this hotel was that the walls did seem a bit thin. We could hear the people in the next room during the day but at night it was all quiet.

We would definitely stay there again and plan on it for the next trip we go to donate money to the Mohegan Sun.

• Liked — The hotel was very convenient to the Casino and Clean
  • Disliked — The thin walls
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Rutland, VT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

We saw this Best Western from the highway / looked nice so we pulled in with no reservations. They were able to give us a nice room at a fair price. Staff was very friendly and helpful, we asked about attractions and they were very knowledgable about the area. Room was clean and restaurant was very good. We were given ten dollars in play money when we checked in good for the restaurant - excellent!! when we're in Groton again, we'll definitely be staying at the Best Western Olympic Inn again.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

We stary here for 9 nights. We actually had a second room for 4 of the nights.
Upon arrival checkin was good nothing spectacular. Lobby appeared to be remodelled.
Rooms were good and clean. Some features of the room appeared 'dated', but it also appears that the property is under some sort of renovation. Large trailers in parking lot. We saw large rolls of carpeting going in.
Property, at least on our floors was fairly quiet.
One of the nights, however, there was a party going on in the ballroom and the backlot was noisy when you pulled in.
Each room comes discount at the restauant on property. You get a $10 certificate each night.
Food at the attached restaurant was good, and reasonably priced.
Parking is a little funny. Checkin is on the side of the building. There is parking in the front, but I did not see an entrance. There is a large amount of parking in the back.
Front desk service was so-so. They seemed to be more concerned about talking amongst themselves. There was not the perky, outgoing, approach that I have seen at other hotels.

Pricing:
A) Beware that the prices vary from day-to-to. S-Th is reasonable. F jumps way up, and S is highest. (Casino is nearby!!)

B) However there is a 'deal' on their website, that if you reserve in-advance and PREPAY for a NON-CANCELLABLE/NON-CHANGEABLE reservation you get a substantial discount!

Lastly, I had stayed at this hotel before and chose it again, but am kind of shocked at the other reviews. Those did NOT match my experience!

All in all, a good value for the money paid.

• Liked — Great room for the price paid
  • Disliked — Parking was good by awkward/different from other locations
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NY,NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed there for two nights and it was just terrible. Although the room was non-smoking, it smelled mix of cigar and mold and it was absolutely disgusting. The AC was too loud so that we either had to turn it off and sweat for the rest of the night or keep it on and let it disturb our sleep for the rest of the night. Don't even think about the quality of mattress and pillows. I've never seen that kind of pillow in my entire life. Common, how can they provide such a rediculous thing to someone? Pillows were old, crumbled and simple did not qualify as something that supports your neck and head. I had to pile up some towls to use as a pillow. The walls were thin and you could hear everything they said and did. I mean, EVERYTHING (getting excited and start making out...) The room next door was young couples and they were talking loud even after mid night, so we had to call the front to complain about it. However, nobody did anything about our complain because no one called nor visited the next door to keep it down. How did we know it? Well, we could hear everything and we heard no phone calls and no visitors to the next door. The worst thing in this hotel was the service. We order the room service. It took 50 min to deliver the food to our room, and we wondered what took so long to cook a hamburger, a milk shake, and home fries. We told them to charge it to our room and we'll pay for it when we check out. But someone knocked our room to sign and after half hour later, someone knocked our room again and asked how we were going to pay for the room service. Okay, we explained to them again. Then, somehow a lady from the concierge figured out that it was okay to call someone after 11 p.m. and ask how we wanted to pay for the room service!!! I mean, after we politely told them to pay when we check out, they seemed to understand. But we were wrong. They called us again about the room service around 12 p.m. when we were already in bed and asked us about the payment of room service. We had to yell at them and we wanted to pay in cash right away to shut them out, but instead, we disconnected the phone to let them use their brain. The food was anything special but no good and yes we paid the room service when we checked out the room. sigh. This hotel doesn't even provide basic services and we won't stay there again. My trip was disaster due to the lack of sleep and tiredness from it. Horrible quality.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

We stayed 2 nights and were not happy with our stay. Pool and Jacuzzi were not heated and very unclean. The room we stayed in runned down and pillows were beyond used and needed replacement. It was not a good nights sleep. Several of the staff were pleasant but most of the other employees were very unfriendly. I have to say that this was not a comfortable stay and did not feel welcomed and would probably not stay here again. When we checked out we were not even asked how everything was. Poor customer service.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Comfort and cleanliness of pool
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to BEST WESTERN Olympic Inn? Share your experiences!