“Remember - - it is a diner.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 102 restaurants in Groton
Cuisines: American
Groton, Connecticut
“Remember - - it is a diner.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I showed up around 2:00 for lunch and there were only about eight customers in the restaurant. The Shack has a policy not to sit you until your entire party shows up. Our son and daughter were meeting us for lunch and had not shown up yet. Because of this policy, the hostess did not want to sit us until the other two showed up. I looked into the dining room and counted 12 empty booths that would fit the four of us and numerous other tables that were open. I can see sticking to your seating policy on Saturday/Sunday mornings for breakfast but at 2:00 on a Monday afternoon - - when there was no one in the restaurant is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. My wife and I wanted to sit down and order some appetizers and iced tea while we waited for our children to show up. This put us off right from the start. After having us mull around the waiting area for about 10 minutes, the hostess decided to offer us a seat. Once we sat down, we ordered our onion rings and iced tea. The onion rings were great - - light battered and cooked perfectly. They weren’t greasy what so ever and the honey mustard dip was superb. The Shack is basically a diner so be smart and order diner food. My BLT was great. The sandwiches and wraps which my wife and children ordered were enjoyed. French fries and cole slaw was good. But our daughter also ordered spaghetti - - not a good choice (remember to order diner food at a diner). Our waitress was pleasant and attentive. Outside the seating policy, our lunch as very nice - - probably a 3.5 but no half voting. Enjoy.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
Jewett City, Connecticut
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I went there and will NEVER return. How can you serve under cooked scallops?? The clam chowder was runny and a dirty, nasty bathroom/ used tampon on the floor. DISGUTING!

• Visited June 2012