“Excellent Customer Service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Groton
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
“Excellent Customer Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I needed to get away for a day over the last weekend, so on February 8th, 2014, I booked a room with a whirlpool online and headed to Groton. This hotel was easily found right off of I-95, but far enough away from the highway that there wasn't any appreciable noise from the traffic.

When I entered the hotel Bethany greeted me with a big smile and a very welcoming personality. Check-in was quick and painless. My room was nice and clean upon my arrival. I felt that the price of the room was on the high side, but given the location and how close to Valentine's Day it was, I could understand it.

There was plenty of parking around the hotel. An added bonus was the onsite spa, where I received a wonderful deep-tissue massage.

Mystic was close by and, unlike some of the other reviews, I did not find the distance to be disagreeable. What I did find troubling was the mold spots over the vending machines on the fourth floor, particularly over the ice machine. I was very surprised to see this considering how clean the rest of the property was.

Check-out was easy as well, with Dowdy providing another pleasant experience. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Needham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We had a large family gathering at the Marriott Mystic Hotel. I can honestly say that the staff was the friendliest and most accommodating I have ever encountered. On top of that, the hotel is beautiful and in a great location. The in-house Starbucks is also a special treat. Only disappointments was the pillows and bed were not that comfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Boston MA Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I stayed in this hotel a couple of weeks ago for a dance competition. I have never stayed in a hotel that was totally unwilling to accommodate every single request I made. I specifically requested a room with 2 beds when I made the reservation - apparently there is a difference between "requesting" a certain type of room and "reserving" it, and making a reservation 7 months in advance was not enough notice. I found out that it isn't that they don't have this type of room, its just that they wouldn't give me one even though we made sure to get to the hotel at check in time. I also asked for a late checkout (till noon or so instead of 11AM) - again, they couldn't do this (I guess all the rooms in the hotel are clean by 11 AM?) . A couple other requests were declined as well - politeness is great, but what I really wanted was to get what I asked for.
The hotel rooms are OK, but not by any means outstanding. All of the pillows on the bed are either massive (like sleeping on a Pilates ball) or smaller than a throw pillow. At times you can hear the conversation (or other sounds) in the room next to you loud and clear. Also, the ventilation in the room is very poor - the room was so stuffy in the morning that we actually felt a little sick. I didn't bother with the $15 breakfast buffet, but I got a coffee, juice, and pastry at the Starbucks in the lobby for a mere $10! The parking a long way away from the hotel doors - there is no door on the South Side of the property, and the lots are designed so that most of the parking is a walk from either the front or convention center doors (and why they have a big field in the middle of the north parking lot, I don't know). The pool is designed for lap swimmers and not much else.
This hotel is a ways from everything- it is at least 2 miles to any other store.
I don't think I'd stay at this hotel again unless I had to (for a competition) or they had a fantastic promotional rate.

Room Tip: My best tip is to choose another hotel, but if you're going to stay in this one, be aware that t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
MysticM88, Director of Guest Services at Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time and sharing your recent experience with the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa.

You indicated in your review that your recent stay at the Mystic Marriott was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

I am concerned about the discontentment experienced during your recent stay and I fully appreciate your inconveniences of not being able to get a room with 2 double beds.

Unfortunately the majority of the rooms in the hotel were reserved by the group you had reserved with for the dance competition which you were attending, and a large majority of attendees all requested rooms with 2 beds and thus we had to adopt a first come first serve basis for 2 double bed room requests.

While we tried our up most best to meet all guest requests we ran in to a situation where by most attendees made their room reservations within days of the group block opening up for reservations.

I have also looked into your concerns regarding your late checkout requests and we do honor these requests when we have the availability. Unfortunately on the checkout date in question we had limited availability due to high occupancy.

On behalf of the Mystic Marriott Hotel and Spa I would like to apologize for your unfavorable experience. I also want to thank you for staying at the Mystic Marriott Hotel and Spa. You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience

Nemas Nemakonde
East Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

From check in to departure everything was outstanding. The welcome of Jen at check-in and her courteous attention throughout our stay put the service over the top, staff like her is a reason why guests become stockholders.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We are here for the Annual Catboat Association meetings, and we're glad the association chose this hotel. The meetings room are nice, and the pool is great for the kids. My ten-year old said "It does feel like a Marriott. This is wonderful." Breakfast buffet was afforable, and there were a lot of choices, but not great tasting. . . maybe some improvements are needed in the food department.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Marriott must add Boca Burgers to the Hotel Room Service Menu. Today, everyone is really into a delicious veggie burger or veggie cheeseburger, side of fries and a cheese quesadilla on the menu with the mac and cheese or pasta with garlic butter and mozzarella. Simply comfort foods for vegetarian palates.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mystic, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is a nice looking property. Large , lots of conference space and a spa and restaurant. It was very busy when we were there and we didn't mind that part at all. We did mind though when we got to our room and could hear every conversation in the hallway and in the rooms on either side of us...all night long.
The bed was wonderful and the room was very nice. We called room service a few times and they did not answer so we went down to the restaurant to order some food to bring up to our room. The $12 hamburger was ok and the $7 side salad was tiny even for a side salad.
They have a large interactive display to find restaurants and activities. We tried it out and most of the restaurants were in Hartford an hour away. We know there are a lot of places within minutes of the hotel so we were baffled.
The hotel is in Groton. Mystic is part of Groton and Stonington but this property is not actually Mystic so it is a bit disappointing.
Not sure I would recommend this for a good nights rest. An event probably but not to stay overnight.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MysticM88, Director of Guest Services at Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your valuable feedback regarding your stay at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. We are focused on ensuring that we create wonderful memories for all our guests.

The Octagon and The Octagon Lounge are geared to serve not only our hotel guests we also cater to the local patrons on the New London / Groton areas and we believe we are comparable in pricing to other local offerings. I thank you for the feedback regarding our interactive concierge display, I have thus contacted our interactive concierge display vendor and we will be working on the content shown on the display.

We continue to strive to offer all our guests brilliant service while ensuring that we continue to exceed expectations.

You are correct, although we are located in Groton; Downtown Mystic is only minutes away. We offer shuttle services to all the local areas so our guests have an alternative option to driving themselves. We have also partnered with the local vendors so we can offer our guests discounted tickets for various local activities.

Thank you again for providing us the opportunity to have you as our guest and for sharing with others your experience at our hotel. All guest feedback is very important to us.

With Kindest Regards,
Nemas Nemakonde

Been to Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!