“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 hotels in Groton
Amman, Jordan
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The service and staff at this hotel are both exceptional. Rooms are new, clean and spacious. The spa is great and the fitness room has all what a traveler needs with an indoor swimming pool. The location of this hotel is also great because you have many attractions nearby. At the hotel I recommend trying the Octagon Restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

511 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Room was clean.. Bathroom was adequate. noisy hallway at night. Walls must be paper thin. Could here room next door clear as though I'm sitting in room. Pool was nice. Overall I guess you paying for location.

• Stayed September 2013
Denver, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I started staying at the Marriott Mystic Hotel in October of 2011 and have stayed there 3 weeks per month for the last two years.

In short, the hotel is pretty standard Marriott fare, but the staff makes the place exceptional. Within the first couple of trips, the entire staff from the valets, to the front desk, and the folks at the Starbucks, would greet me by name.

Over time, they kept track of which rooms in the hotel I preferred, and started booking me into specific locations, and setting up the room to be feather-free (whether I remembered to book it that way or not). They also surprised me occasionally with treats or upgrades to suites.

Mostly, they were amazingly accommodating, and helped me find my way around town, they'd give me rides to and from the ferry when I went to Block Island for the weekend. They even stored a bicycle and a leave behind bag for the entire two years of my stay.

And, the valets kept track of my arrivals and would deliver my bag to my room before I arrived.

In short, they turned what could have been an arduous travel arrangement, into a delightful welcome home every week.

The only complaint I have about the hotel, is that the internet is abysmal. When I needed more than an occasional internet check, I would often have to tether my phone.

If they had adequate internet service, I'd upgrade this hotel to a 5.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I planned a quick getaway for our 2nd Anniversary. We were looking for someplace quiet, pretty, and clean where we could relax. The biggest draw for us was the Red Door Spa. My husband had the hot stone massage. I had the Stress Melter Treatment. It was hands down the BEST spa treatment I've ever had. The facility is beautiful and the staff is very friendly. I have to praise my therapist Jill. She truly read my body and adjusted her "routine" to make sure my needs were met. I didn't feel like just another client - she was making sure I had the best possible experience. I would go back to have another session with her in a heartbeat.
The hotel itself is gorgeous. The front desk staff was attentive and cheerful. When we arrived I noticed something very unsavory on the headboard of our bed. It was a series of stains that would have made any "CSI" watcher cringe. We went downstairs and told the front desk attendant about it. She apologized and said it would be dealt with. When we returned hours later it still hadn't been attended to. Although we weren't thrilled with the double bed room when we originally walked in, we moved into the second bed for the night. The next morning we again informed the front desk. This poor girl was horrified and said that she would take care of it. When we returned later in the day it STILL hadn't been cleaned.
We decided to have dinner at Octagon. My husband and I are both in the hospitality business. When we made the reservation the host asked if there was a special occasion - we told him yes, our anniversary and he made a note. When we arrived for dinner there were about five other tables in the restaurant. We were sat next to the server station. We noticed that the table was covered in crumbs, my water glass had lip and food stains on the rim and body, my husband was missing a water glass, and the wine glasses on the table didn't match. I caught the waiter right before he poured water into my dirty glass. Despite the "leftovers" on the table, we ordered a bottle of wine, appetizers, and entrees. My lobster bisque was luke-warm and appeared to be a watered down corn chowder with three small pieces of lobster as a garnish. It took a lot of salt and pepper to give it any flavor. My husband's steak had obviously been frozen, thawed, cooked, and recooked. The creamed spinach was so heavily weighed down with parmesan cheese it was almost inedible. When it was time for dessert I was sure since they asked about our anniversary that it would have been acknowledged, but, no. The service was average and the food was pretty awful. We laughed at the "Four Diamond" hotel award on the wall as we retired to the bar and had another drink. Back in our room, we were thrilled to find the stains had been removed! We still slept in the second bed.
When we checked out the next morning, the desk attendant said that the manager had left a message for us that "no such stain was found on the headboard." I was furious! We spent a LOT of money at the hotel and then were not apologized to for the disgusting headboard but told we were WRONG. If we hadn't been in a hurry to get home I would have given the "manager" a piece of my mind about what enlightened hospitality means.
Do yourself a favor and visit the fabulous spa but steer clear of the hotel unless mediocre is your thing.

Kinnelon, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The staff was very enthusiastic about me trying out the new Marriott mobile check in. It is neat, easy and efficient. They forgot the rest of the reception program though. I was not recognized as a Gold Elite member as I am accustomed. I had to ask about access to the concierge lounge. We stayed for their Romance package with dinner and Spa credit included. I needed to ask about how this all works. They nearly forgot the Champagne and Strawberries, I had to call for. They did forget the VIP turndown service - whatever that is. The breakfast coupons were not in the welcome package and I needed to ask about this in the morning. The restaurant had a great steaks but the service was only fair even though we were the only ones there initially. Things picked up about 30 min after our arrival and we were forgotten. Wish it was better - we had high expectations.

Room Tip: There is a concierge floor. Be sure to request if you qualify. Corner rooms are larger.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WHGGuestService, Manager at Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay We have noted all your concerns and we are refining our processes to ensure that we meet all expectations going forward, amongst our concerns are the oversights on what was included in the package you booked. We have spoken to the appropriate staff members to ensure this doesn't happen again. We hope to see you again to show you the world-class stay you deserve.. Thank you again for bring this to our attention and thank you for being a loyal Marriott rewards, Elite member.
Lawton, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Arrived late in the evening at the Mystic Marriott Hotel adn Spa, so I did not have much time to scout the area. I can definitly tell you abou the morning breakfast which was very good to a hard working morning.

Room Tip: does not applied
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have stayed at this location a few times. This is the first time I am writing a review.

The hotel is clean and an excellent location. It is 15-20 minutes drive from Mystic Seaport, several wineries, and both casinos.

I typically favor Marriott hotels and this hotel was the same as the others. Clean in, stay, check out. There was no reason to stay at the hotel except to sleep. there is an onsite restaurant and starbucks that we did not go to. There is also a spa- which I have been to in the past- it is just so expensive we skipped it this time.

I could not figure out if the cooling was working in the room. I could not figure out if it was my room or me so I did not complain about this though. Just seemed cooler in the hallways than in our room.

There were several wedding parties staying in the hotel. We could hear them going in and out of each others rooms in the late evening and in the morning and yelling down the hallways to each other. It kept my boyfriend up - although it did not disturb me. This must be a common occurrence as we noted that a list of night hour/quiet hour rules were posted in the evening (on Friday night).

At checkout the trainee at the front desk asked me if we enjoyed our stay and I indicated "it was not the best". She failed to ask me why.

Rooms have excellent TV selection.

Room Tip: There were several wedding parties staying in the hotel. We could hear them going in and out of eac...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!