“Where do I begin???” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Groton
Hebron
“Where do I begin???”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

OK. We have stayed at this hotel several times with our family as well as a couple. My husband is a platinum with Marriott and has always been given excellent customer service from this property. This particular stay was NOT SO. Where do I begin??? We always book through the Marriott reservations and call the hotel prior to our arrival to confirm the accommodations. We did this time as well. Our family always gets a room that is termed a "24". It is a corner room that has 2 queen beds with a pull-out sofabed. It fits our family of 5. We ALWAYS get one of those rooms and NEED it for our family. Anyway, when we arrived, after driving all day.....we were told that we could not have the "24" room we requested and would have to purchase 2 rooms given the fact that we have 3 children!!! WHAT??? We attempted to discuss our confirmation from Marriott for the room we requested and were told that there was nothing they could do. It was based upon availability and they did not have any "24" rooms available. What were we going to do??? After asking to speak to the front desk manager (who never did come out to address our issue) they said that one of the "24" rooms was indeed open but we would have to pay a $50 surcharge!!! WHAT??? It would be applied to all 5 nights including the 3 that we had on points! They told us that it was an upgrade and could not offer it complimentary. It was discretionary. What does PLATINUM status get you if not a complimentary upgrade??? So, after much run-around....they said that the room was not ready and to come back later. We waited til 5 pm and came back to get into our room. When we entered it, ALL of the furniture was on the beds!!! The room was not ready!
I went back down to the desk and told the girl at the front desk. She apologized and said that they would get someone there to ready the room. Then, she came back and said they would put us in another room! Wait a minute, I thought there weren't any "24" rooms available and now you have 2! We checked in to our room and calmed down. When we came back from our evening, we had a message that they indeed removed the $50 surcharge.
Now to the POOL. My children have swam in this pool on our many previous stays. You can't get them out! They have always loved the pool. This time, they swam for an hour and said they would not go back in. My oldest daughter said it was cloudy and could see hair in the bottom with her goggles. She was pretty grossed out. All of my kids complained of the cloudiness of the water and the dirtiness of the pool. They never went back in the whole 5 day stay.
The room was not vacuumed the entire stay. There was a cheerio on the carpet when we checked in that was not from our family. I left it there purposely just to see if the staff was cleaning the carpets and room. I did the same for a strand of my daughter's hair that was in the shower. At no time during our stay did either of those items leave their spot. I even asked the housekeeping staff one morning if they vacuum and clean the showers and they assured me that they did. No way!! They didn't change our sheets either. I can't tell you how disappointed I was in this stay.
We were informed that the hotel had a "change of staff" and boy let me tell you......it was obvious. We have always truly enjoyed this property and it's staff. Especially the front desk staff. The front desk staff this stay was extremely inexperienced and most had "in training" badges on. The front desk manager, Nemis, Nevis, whatever his/her name was, NEVER came out to address any problems with us or anyone else's complaints, and there were plenty of them.
When I checked out, I addressed my issues with the person at the front desk (still not the manager) and they apologized. I told him that I was paying cash and he took it and gave me a receipt that had my credit card charged!! He had a tough time figuring out that I paid cash and how to give me a receipt that showed it. He eventually got it right, but it was trying to say the least. I called my bank that day to make sure that I was not double-charged.
Overall......a very hectic stay and one I wouldn't repeat.
We have looked at other area properties to give our business to. It's too bad because they really had a great thing going before they changed their management.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Carmel, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Love it! We go every year! Very clean, the staff is always going above and beyond. However they MUST do something about the refrigerators they give in the rooms! They are old, filthy, no room for anything except maybe 2 water bottles, I would expect more from a Marriott! I think an upgrade is needed ASAP! The staff is also knowledgeable on places and attractions around town! Also once in a while I think they need staffers to watch over the pool area, while we were there there were 4 teenager that the parents did not seem to be bothered while they were playing ball in the pool Meanwhile other little ones were trying to go in and a few almost got hit by their ball. This hotel is gorgeous if you ask for a room with a view you will get it! The bar is nice as well! Octagon is a bit pricey but good food!

Room Tip: Don't do their breakfast buffet its pricey while you can go down the road to Somewhere in Time!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pleasantville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have stayed at the Marriott Mystic Spa several times and always enjoy it. The staff is very friendly, the beds are super comfortable and the brunch in their restaurant is great! You are close to Mystic, the casino, the RI beaches. It is a great spot to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
WHGGuestService, Manager at Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for making our hotel your home away from home. We are thrilled to hear that you have stayed with us several times and we truly value your continued patronage.

Next time you stay with us be sure to check out mystic.org, it's a great resource to find local area activities. Thank you for your great feedback, we hope to see you again soon.
Sylvania, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

enjoyed the stay here, we were only here one night. it is a short drive to the town of mystic. the staff was very friendly and helpful. totally enjoyed my stay. the bar waa very busy at night. the staff was great at offering suggestions about activities and restaurants

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your comments! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at The Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. I'm happy to hear that our associates were friendly & helpful. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stay at Marriotts regularly, and I have a 99.9% satisfaction rate with them, this hotel only carried the satisfaction rate further. The room was clean and spacious, however it had a view of the conference center's roof and treeline, which I suppose there is nothing that can be done about that because the hotel is built in a semi-wooded area. The staff were very friendly and even brought me extra towels quickly early in the morning as I began to get ready. However, you should know this hotel is not actually in Mystic, it's in Groton, Conn. Downtown Mystic is about a 10 minute drive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Spent part of Fourth of July weekend here for a wedding. I was traveling with my husband, a platinum elite Marriotts reward member, who in fact suggested the property to the groom...who in turn took the advice & arranged for 60+ people to stay at the hotel for 3 nights. I digress.....upon check in at 4:20pm, we were told our room wasn't ready. When I mentioned we had a cocktail party to attend, the gal basically said " sorry for the inconvenience". I asked if my family could use the showers & get ready in the spa & the gal agreed. Well, this "spa" is really tiny..there was no place for our luggage, so we basically were forced to plop our bags on the floor in front of the lockers, which didn't make the couple other guests happy. The lighting was terrible for applying makeup & overall the entire experience just made me more mad at the inconvenience. To top it off, our room wasn't ready until 5:25!!! I proceeded to talk to the manager to tell her of my dissatisfaction, to which she too said "sorry for the inconvenience." That's it!!! I was fuming so I told her of the 70 guests staying there because of my husband.....and...nothing!!! Just another "sorry for the inconvenience." Finally, after my blood pressure was obviously rising, she offered to send up a bottle of wine to my room....Really? We were attending a cocktail party on the hotel patio!!! I was amazed at the terrible customer service!!! At that point, i realized i hadn't received the wedding arrival gift bag--a gift from the bride & groom. when i asked for it, i was told that since we were staying on points, we werent entitled to one-- what? we were staying on points because my husband has earned a ton of points (see above)!!! when i pressed further, the gal actually quizzed me about the bride & groom-- what is their last name? what is the groom's mother's name?, etc. It was unbelievable!!! when we finally arrived at our room, it was fine, typical for a Marriott in the suburbs (Groton). Water pressure in the shower, however, was awful and the hotel ran out of shampoo! The staff was not particularly nice or helpful with the exception of Larry, the omelette maker, and Lauren who worked in the spa. Will stay somewhere else if I ever find myself in that area again!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wethersfield, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed one night over the July 4th weekend. The stay was just o.k. and the service was below what I've come to expect from the Marriott brand. The hotel is NOT in Mystic. Rather it is located in Groton, several miles from all of the attractions in Mystic. I used Marriott's new on-line check-in which did not work. Prior to our stay, I used Marriott's Virtual Concierge to request a rollaway bed and extra towels. Neither were in the room upon arrival and the front desk was not aware of the request. The concierge lounge was closed "for the weekend" on a Friday - I guess they have 3 day weekends at this Marriott. That was not an issue, except that the lounge was locked up tight and I could not get bottled water for the room. My experience has been that concierge level guests have access to the lounge for water and soft drinks. Such was not the case at the Groton...I mean Mystic Marriott. The front desk told me that the one small bottle of water already in the room was complimentary. To be fair, the hotel did meet the request for the rollaway and towels and did send 2 small bottles of water to the room. But, Marriott should not set the expectation with the on-line check--in and Virtual Concierge if the property is not able to meet those expectations. We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, "Octagon". I had a coupon for 2 free continental breakfasts (I am Marriott Rewards Platinum). Our server asked us, "You only have one coupon for all four of you?" leading me to believe that we had been short changed somehow. The breakfast buffet was typical and the variety of fruit was particularly nice. However the staff seemed overwhelmed and the buffet needed more frequent replenishing. The atmosphere was semi-chaotic and not relaxing at all. All in all, this is a standard Marriott property and the service left me a little disappointed. But then I stay at a lot of Marriott properties and when you tout service and set expectations, you need to be able to meet them. Overall, our stay was just O.K.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!