“Average Marriott, Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Groton
Atlanta
“Average Marriott, Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stay at Marriotts regularly, and I have a 99.9% satisfaction rate with them, this hotel only carried the satisfaction rate further. The room was clean and spacious, however it had a view of the conference center's roof and treeline, which I suppose there is nothing that can be done about that because the hotel is built in a semi-wooded area. The staff were very friendly and even brought me extra towels quickly early in the morning as I began to get ready. However, you should know this hotel is not actually in Mystic, it's in Groton, Conn. Downtown Mystic is about a 10 minute drive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Spent part of Fourth of July weekend here for a wedding. I was traveling with my husband, a platinum elite Marriotts reward member, who in fact suggested the property to the groom...who in turn took the advice & arranged for 60+ people to stay at the hotel for 3 nights. I digress.....upon check in at 4:20pm, we were told our room wasn't ready. When I mentioned we had a cocktail party to attend, the gal basically said " sorry for the inconvenience". I asked if my family could use the showers & get ready in the spa & the gal agreed. Well, this "spa" is really tiny..there was no place for our luggage, so we basically were forced to plop our bags on the floor in front of the lockers, which didn't make the couple other guests happy. The lighting was terrible for applying makeup & overall the entire experience just made me more mad at the inconvenience. To top it off, our room wasn't ready until 5:25!!! I proceeded to talk to the manager to tell her of my dissatisfaction, to which she too said "sorry for the inconvenience." That's it!!! I was fuming so I told her of the 70 guests staying there because of my husband.....and...nothing!!! Just another "sorry for the inconvenience." Finally, after my blood pressure was obviously rising, she offered to send up a bottle of wine to my room....Really? We were attending a cocktail party on the hotel patio!!! I was amazed at the terrible customer service!!! At that point, i realized i hadn't received the wedding arrival gift bag--a gift from the bride & groom. when i asked for it, i was told that since we were staying on points, we werent entitled to one-- what? we were staying on points because my husband has earned a ton of points (see above)!!! when i pressed further, the gal actually quizzed me about the bride & groom-- what is their last name? what is the groom's mother's name?, etc. It was unbelievable!!! when we finally arrived at our room, it was fine, typical for a Marriott in the suburbs (Groton). Water pressure in the shower, however, was awful and the hotel ran out of shampoo! The staff was not particularly nice or helpful with the exception of Larry, the omelette maker, and Lauren who worked in the spa. Will stay somewhere else if I ever find myself in that area again!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wethersfield, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed one night over the July 4th weekend. The stay was just o.k. and the service was below what I've come to expect from the Marriott brand. The hotel is NOT in Mystic. Rather it is located in Groton, several miles from all of the attractions in Mystic. I used Marriott's new on-line check-in which did not work. Prior to our stay, I used Marriott's Virtual Concierge to request a rollaway bed and extra towels. Neither were in the room upon arrival and the front desk was not aware of the request. The concierge lounge was closed "for the weekend" on a Friday - I guess they have 3 day weekends at this Marriott. That was not an issue, except that the lounge was locked up tight and I could not get bottled water for the room. My experience has been that concierge level guests have access to the lounge for water and soft drinks. Such was not the case at the Groton...I mean Mystic Marriott. The front desk told me that the one small bottle of water already in the room was complimentary. To be fair, the hotel did meet the request for the rollaway and towels and did send 2 small bottles of water to the room. But, Marriott should not set the expectation with the on-line check--in and Virtual Concierge if the property is not able to meet those expectations. We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, "Octagon". I had a coupon for 2 free continental breakfasts (I am Marriott Rewards Platinum). Our server asked us, "You only have one coupon for all four of you?" leading me to believe that we had been short changed somehow. The breakfast buffet was typical and the variety of fruit was particularly nice. However the staff seemed overwhelmed and the buffet needed more frequent replenishing. The atmosphere was semi-chaotic and not relaxing at all. All in all, this is a standard Marriott property and the service left me a little disappointed. But then I stay at a lot of Marriott properties and when you tout service and set expectations, you need to be able to meet them. Overall, our stay was just O.K.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lakeville, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We went back and forth when considering places to say for a recent Mystic trip and eventually chose the Marriott Mystic. I couldn't be happier with the choice. The hotel is two short exits away from the "downtown" Mystic area and the quick trip was very pleasant. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are very nice and the amenities can't be matched in the area. The only thing missing is an outdoor pool. Great place, without a doubt I'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
WHGGuestService, Manager at Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review with us. We strive to be the hotel of choice in the Mystic area and look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
Westchester, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel. Beautiful lobby. Great and convenient location to all Mystic attractions. Nice indoor pool. Concierge level very nice, however, the lounge lacks supplies, utensils and attention. Hallways could use a vacuum but overall a very nice place.

• Stayed July 2013
Ridgefield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stay at Marriott and Hilton properties often. This Marriott is very good. It is true that it is in Groton, not Mystic, but if Mystic is what you seek it is just a few miles up the road. The hotel just off I95, yet not so close as to hear highway traffic, easy to find, and provides easy access to all the quaint towns of southeastern CT - Stonington, Mystic, Noank, the submarine museum...The hotel is well kept and the staff very warm. Starbucks in lobby, high end restaurant, spa, and more.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed 1 night. It was like all Marriotts. We enjoyed our stay and really wished we would have stayed longer here instead of going to the Mystic Whaler Inn(it was AWFUL). I would without a doubt stay here again! It was great, like all Marriotts are!

Room Tip: Book early