“Pleasant Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 hotels in Groton
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Pleasant Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a little over a week while on a business trip. This hotel is quite nice. The rooms are big, with a small couch to sit on, and the beds are comfy, with multiple firmness pillows to choose from. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There are connections to the TV on the side of the bureau you can use to connect your laptop or other device to the TV, so I was able to stream movies, which was good. The heating system was noisy. I was able to tune it out, but I know some people would find it irritating. The room I was in (348) overlooked to roof of the banquet area of the hotel. I was usually only in the room at night and don't care about a view, but for those that do, you may want a room in a different section. There is a Starbucks in the lobby area, but I did not get coffee there because I had to leave each morning before they opened (6 AM). I did eat at the restaurant, however, and it was excellent, although expensive. I expected that though. The pool and hot tub were nice and clean. The fitness area was decently equipped, although most of the time it was too crowded. There is a Red Door Spa in the hotel, which is a nice feature. I made use of the spa once and it was worth every penny. The only complaint I had for this stay is that every day, the coffee supplies in the room were not completely replenished. I had to go ask for more creamer, sweetener, stirrers, cup lids on several occasions. I'd stay here again for a quick trip, but I think on my next trip of this length or longer I'll opt for a hotel that has small kitchens in the rooms or at least a microwave and fridge. I may also look for a hotel that has other businesses in walking distance. This one did not.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

541 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
North Haven, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed one overnight with my husband for personal not business. I had read good things about the hotel so we decided to give it a try. I am a Hilton honors member but also have a Marriott card. I just never really stayed at Marriotts much because I didn't think they were as good as Hiltons. Lol

This place was beautiful. You walk into a very big lobby and it is nicely decorated and clean! The staff at check in were very friendly. Check in was a breeze. The room itself was beautiful. Again it was nicely decorated and very clean. The bathroom was amazing. The tub and the shower were separate and the tub was a large jacuzzi tub.

The only negative was the bed which was not terrible but my side sloped. And the pillows were a little too firm for me. I need them a bit more pliable. All of the staff seemed really friendly. A very good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We went to the this hotel over Christmas and had a wonderful and peaceful Holiday time. The hotel's pool and hot tub were the feature for me and I totally enjoyed them. I swam every day and wound down in the hot tub. We ate in the hotel restaurant (Octagon) and found the food far above average. We had quite delicious dinners on 2 evenings and 2 very good buffet breakfasts as well. Service was quite too. This restaurant had become primarily a steakhouse since the last time we visited (2 years ago) at which time I recall a fabulous duck preparation that was no longer on the menu. Also, I missed the chocolate cherry bread pudding that I had eaten there previously. Who knows, next time they will have some new surprises in store. I would say the quality was very similar to our previous visit.

The only difficulty we had at the hotel was their reluctance to provide us with complimentary breakfast (we should receive this, especially when the concierge lounge is closed, as we are platinum elite guests). When I pointed this out to the desk staff, they did give us some coupons for breakfast (but not every day). Overall, we are very pleased as the staff was gracious, cheerful and accommodating.

Room Tip: Its nice to have a room overlooking the lake
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I've been coming to this hotel frequently since 2009. Plus are a large parking, great lobby, and a Starbucks on site. The service is always excellent, the staff is great very helpful with good recommendations. If you are in the area, this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Follow staff recommendation, they are great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We chose the Marriott Mystic for a quick romantic getaway over the holidays with a special AAA rate of $99/night. We requested a high floor with a view and early check -in. Upon arrival Rebecca at the front desk was very helpful and got us into a lovely corner room on the 5th floor. Rebecca also recommended a great local breakfast place called, 'Somewhere in Time.'The room was very comfortable and we had a refrigerator put in for convenience. The King bed had great linens and was very comfortable. My husband wouldn't care but I enjoyed the warm gold and red color scheme of the decor. The TV pay per view movies has a delay so that the images and sound were slightly off...sort of funny during action movies. We enjoyed the pool, spa tub and fitness area. The Red Door Spa looked inviting and will take advantage of a massage next time we visit!

Room Tip: The corner room on the fifth floor is quiet and has 2large windows and a view of the water across th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I've been coming to this hotel frequently since working in the Pharmaceutical Industry. Maybe it is because of the area supply/demand, but I would expect more from a Marriott catering to large pharma business clientele and boasting a Red Doos Spa.

Positives: Workout facility OK, plenty of parking, lobby, Starbucks on site.

Cons: Rooms are standard to below average marriott (remind you of busy airport Marriott) and seem to have more wear and tear over the years I've stayed, particularly bathrooms; rooms are not particularly well cleaned; checkin is not usually a quick process.

I've actually started just staying in Providence since I fly in there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Acton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Visiting Mystic Seaport for the Holiday Night Lantern Tours (great!!!!) Mariott is my prefered hotel when going anywhere. I have found them to have the most wonderful beds, nice furniture and decor, friendly and helpful staff and most reliable and consistant brand. That said, this Mariott met my expectations for high quality. I'm giving it only three stars for a couple of reasons - but understand that I am nit picking here and rating it three stars against other mariotts and luxery hotels. [You may say this is wrong, that the rating should be against all other gotels. Maybe, but I also paid premium Mariott prices but wasn't 100% premium satisfied, So against the bang for a buck factor it also was a notch below great.]

Internet was very slow. TV was a nice, large flat screen, but the signal cut in and out every minute or so with a second or two of black screen. The in-room coffee was enough for only one cup (I am used to two at least.) Not surprisingly, there's a Starbucks in the lobby. So if you have more than one coffee drinker be prepared to go without or be squeezed for a $4 cuppa joe. The view (from the upper floors mind you) is only of the parking lot (ample and free).

Again, those are the reasons I found it not a 5 star stay. It's still a very *nice* hotel which is comfortbale, clean and friendly.

-- Additional. I wrote the above before having breakfast. It was not a good experience so three stars now seems high and totally justified. "The Octagon" is the Mariott's restaurant which is a steak house. For breakfast... they have a cold buffet (straight forward fruits, cereal, yogurt, milk). The 'hot buffet' is you order food (she rambles off options like omelets, waffles, etc) and they bring it to your table. That IS NOT a BUFFET!!! And whne we arrived there was no one to great us. We had to wander in after a few minutes and then encountered a waitress who seemed miffed we wandered in. I explained there was no one at the greeter station. She explained she was the only one and 'apologized' (seems feint). $64 for wife and two kids. Okay, dropping the review to two stars. This is a sub-standard Mariott.

Room Tip: Eat elsewhere for breakfast. There are manay choices in a ten minute radius.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!