“The Best Hotel in the Groton/Mystic Area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 13 hotels in Groton
Orlando
“The Best Hotel in the Groton/Mystic Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is the best business hotel in the area. The rooms are very nice (Marriott standard). The Concierge Lounge is good. They had issues keeping the breakfast foods stocked up while I was there. The only major complaint is that the hotel still hasn't seemed to supply decent towels for the bathrooms. Most of the bath towels and floor mats are threadbare. If they could fix this one area, I could give a higher rating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

517 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I typically stay at the Hilton in Mystic, CT when I'm in this area, but decided to give the Marriott offering a shot. I was very surprised to see the AAA rate was a $75 savings- $125 vs $199 regular rate- whoa! That's more savings than my yearly dues with AAA!

This property has ample self-parking (free) and check-in was a breeze. I was not upgraded as MR plat, but was told I wasn't upgraded (as MR plat) because no king rooms were available on the club floor (no problem for me, I don't mine getting what I paid for!). I arrived around 9:50, and the club lounge closed at 10. I quickly dropped my bags in my room and headed up to check out the lounge before closing. The lounge was empty, aside from the attendant and offerings. Typical spread of cheese and crackers, fruits, and veggies, pretzels. I was told by the attendant they had hot offerings (dumplings if I remember correctly) but they "went fast", as far as beverages, they had wine, Michelob ultra, a local pale ale, and a disappointing assortment of spirits; canadian club, etc... one of the worst spirit offerings I had seen.

I filed out a card at the honor bar itemizing my consumption of alcohol and left it, along with a tip for the friendly but not over-bearing attendant and headed down to the restaurant for dinner. The food downstairs was fantastic, I had the scallops & risotto, the scallops were fresh and cooked perfectly, as was the risotto, very rich but fantastic.

As for the room itself- modern furnishings, clean. No complaints at all. This property uses lodgenet (big + in my book, I love to watch a movie while going to sleep.) but the room lacked a mini-fridge, which combined with the icky spirit offerings in the lounge account for the 4, instead of 5 stars. mini-fridge is a necessity for some of us! I don't eat breakfast or drink coffee, I need my morning energy drink and prefer it cold!

Room Tip: AAA rate for great savings!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
surfinginflorida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed here after a day at a nearby casino. I was really surprised because I expected more for a Marriott resort – we have been staying at a Marriott Residence Inn which is much nicer. The room was comfortable; we had an excellent night sleep. We had a view room, but the reservoir was pretty far away. I thought the hotel looked much more majestic from the outside than from the inside, but it could be because there were several events in the ballrooms, and a college basketball team was staying there. We would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed her back in August 2012. The service was excellent. It is somewhat in no-mans land location wise. The hotel is very nice and the staff was very helpful with recommendations and accommodations.

If you have a car and don't mind driving a bit, this is a great place to stay.

We did not eat in the restaurants or use the spa. The spa looked expensive. We did have coffee from the starbucks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ossipee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Our stay was great, the spa experience was wonderful. All the hotel employees were so friendly, helpful & always said 'Hello, how are you ladies doing?' Made us feel special. We have stayed here before--it's one of our favorite places for one of our get-aways.

Room Tip: We've never had a bad one.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
long island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We enjoyed our stay very much, the beds were very comfortable - very clean in the room as noted by other reviews.
We picked this hotel as it was only 25 min. from Foxwoods and much less than staying right on the premises of the casino. It was an easy drive and well worth it. Our room was very far away from the elevators - room 660 so I wouldn't advise choosing that particular location unless you like long walks.
Front desk staff was professional and friendly and we enjoyed the breakfast buffet the next morning.
It is always a plus for a hotel to carry bath and bodyworks products.
If I return to see another show at Foxwoods, we will definitely choose this hotel!

Room Tip: Unless you like corner locations and a very long walk - don't choose room 660
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

After traveling from MA to CT for Thanksgiving, we decided to make a couple night stay out of our visit and take the opportunity to visit local attractions like the Aquarium and the very charming main street in Mystic. The hotel was very conveniently located to these sites which was a huge plus for us. The hotel staff was extremely courteous at check-in although we didn't require much of them after that. Our room decor was up-to-date, modern amenities, and clean. We're not super experienced travelers as far as traveling post-children....we decided to merely get 2 double beds which was fine in that we got there late the first night (Thanksgiving night) and didn't get back to the hotel late after a wonderful dinner in Mystic the 2nd night. However, in that we were traveling with our 6 year-old and 3 year-old, if we had stayed longer, I would have gotten double rooms. The mattresses on the beds were just ok...seemed to be sagging a little in the middle. My only real complaint was that I thought we would enjoy the indoor pool more. However, it was so over-chlorinated and wasn't very warm, that my children only lasted for a 10 minute stint.

Room Tip: I had read on many of the reviews that the hotel can be loud when there's functions. Luckily, i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!