“Corporate hotel, not a a vacation getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Groton
Darien, CT
“Corporate hotel, not a a vacation getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

This Marriott, in Groton, CT advertises itself as a vacation getaway for families visiting Mystic. But, it is really a corporate hotel for employees of nearby pharma giant Pfizer, who get a much lower rate. There are pluses and minus associated with this.
Pluses: Upscale corporate clientele, cool bar scene, great rooms, and generally, a higher standard than many Marriott properties.
Downside: Not many families here. If you want a family hotel, suggest you stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: It helps to be with Pfizer
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Waterford, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We stayed here when booking a last minute overnight on our way home to Virginia from Maine (my kids wanted to go to the Mystic Aquarium) on Saturday, Aug 13th, 2011. Many other hotels or B&Bs I tried were booked, so granted, they did have room and I suppose life could be much worse than staying in a Marriott. But with that caveat, I will say I was surprised at the disorganization, nickel & diming & mediocre standard of the room for the high price.

First of all, I had booked a room with a breakfast rate and requested queen size beds (since my kids - 9 & 12, husband & I were sharing the room it gets a little squished in dbl beds). When we got there, we had to wait a few minutes to check in - understandably given it was a busy "wedding" weekend on a Sat night. When we got to our room, we had only double beds and yes, as other reviewers said, VERY small pillows. Can't quite figure that out! So I thought, what harm could it be to ask if they have another room. After waiting about 10-15 min., the manager came up and took us to the door of another room. She was already down the elevator by the time we entered the room and found a woman's cosmetic bag, suitcase & pajamas in the room (though otherwise it looked unoccupied) - weird! So back downstairs to the lobby.

We waited again another 10-15 min to speak to the front desk staff. Finally we explained the problem and said perhaps it was just easier if we go back to the original room. In the process, I found out that we were NOT booked for a breakfast rate and the front desk woman acted as if she didn't believe me that I had booked that rate. I was also supposed to get Marriott points for booking the room, which were not registered. To her credit, she did check and fix these things later, but if I had not been diligent about checking in the first place, we would have had to pay for the expensive breakfast buffet and would not have gotten our Marriott points.

Finally, they gave us another room, which was no better than the first (perhaps worse re size, etc.), but never did explain why the supposedly unoccupied Queen-bed room was actually occupied. And of course there were no more Queen-bed rooms available.

And then there are lots of little things that bugged us. For example, no free coffee-service in the hotel - you have to pay for coffee at the in-house Starbucks at the hotel. I won't go on & on because other reviewers have mentioned much of this before. But basically, trust the other negative reviews. I didn't - kept thinking, "how bad can a Marriott in Mystic, CT area be?" Well, if the price was at least $100/night lower & included breakfast w/o having to argue for it, perhaps I wouldn't be complaining. But the price of the room was outrageous for what we got. And that comes from someone who travels a lot, is usually understanding about high prices on busy weekends on the East Coast, and rarely complains.

Room Tip: ask for extra pillows and queen beds WAY in advance & insist on it when you get there.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for the second time during the last week in September. We loved it just as much the second time as we did the first! Clean, modern, spacious hotel with a beautiful lobby. We ate breakfast at the Octagon restaurant and really enjoyed our dishes. During the day we visited the Mystic Aquarium and downtown Mystic. Very quaint, cute town on the water. At night we went to Mohegan Sun Casino which was only a 15 minute drive. We had the most amazing steak at Michael Jordan's Steak House and had fun losing money in the casino. The hotel was perfectly located right off of I-95. We used their spa services which were well worth the prices. We are planning to return shortly, just to enjoy more spa services! We absolutely loved this hotel and know you will too!

Room Tip: All rooms were incredibly quiet and private.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I visited this hotel several times on business and my experiences were mixed.
Positives:
It's a large hotel with good facilities and nice rooms. Gym and pool area are nice, and the restaurant is very good. Salads are highly recommended. They offer a nice breakfast in the morning, with a hot or cold buffet and other made-to-order dishes.
Negatives:
Staff at the Octagon breakfast room are slow and often overcharge. I had to review and dispute my bill on three occassions.
I had a situation where I checked into my room and there was no toilet paper. I had to speak to staff at reception desk several times before they sent somebody upstairs with rolls of toilet paper.
Checking out can be slow - so if you are in a hurry, try to go for an automated check-out option.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
MMHSAdmin, General Manager at Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
We apologize that your visits to the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa have not fully measured up to your expectations. We greatly appreciate your comments as they help us improve our level of service.
CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

stayed here two night as a pass thru for a wedding at another location. Nice hotel, comfortable, good food, friendly staff, nice pool...but I dont understand how a concierge level could be closed thru the weekend when the hotel is pretty much booked solid. how very inconvenient. Oh how can I forget..checked and found "NO" bedbugs :-)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to recount your experience while staying at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. We value your feedback and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. To clarify, it is a Marriott brand standard to close the Concierge Lounge during the weekend but we truly apologize for the inconvenience that this policy caused.
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

The room was clean, the service was great, food at the Octogon was very good - they had a great vegan dish, and sleep was restful! The spa was very relaxing and my services were great. No complaints!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Travel the area very frequently for business. The only things consistent are that I am consistently disappointed and that the rooms and hallways are consistently filthy.

On my last stay, there were debris, trash, and room service trays in the hallway at night when I arrived. They were there the next morning when I headed off for meetings. I notified the desk staff on my way out. They were still there that evening on my return. I called the desk staff. And it was all still there the next morning.

On this stay -- candy wrappers stuffed in the bag with the hair dryer, the water bottle in the room (the one that says its $$$ if you drink it) was half empty.

I just don't feel like things are clean. I'll stay (and save) at the Hyatt Place up the road.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators. It gets noisy.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
MMHSAdmin, General Manager at Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention and sharing such candid feedback. We deeply regret that you encountered such challenges during your stay. Please know that we took actions to resolve these issues. We hope that we have the opportunity to accommodate you in the future. Feedback from guests like yourself is what makes us better; thank you.

Been to Marriott Mystic Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!