“Perfect Location - Perfect Staff” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   224 Gold Star Highway, Groton, CT 06340   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Groton
South Salem, New York
“Perfect Location - Perfect Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel while on a mini vacation for a Wedding we were attending. We decided to take a day trip to The Big E in Springfield, MA before arriving at the hotel later on that evening - after a wonderful day at the fair we ended the day with an unfortunate situation with our car that was out of our hands.

It was my Mother birthday on top of everything and she was extremely upset about the car situation. I decided to call the hotel, unfortunately I do not remember the wonder woman’s name that helped me (she was the Sales Manager) and we worked something out that a delicious piece of chocolate cake would be awaiting her in her room upon our arrival.

We drove the hour and change to the hotel and as soon as we walked in, the same woman whom I had spoken to on the phone was waiting at the desk with a beautiful smile on her face ready to check us in. She was extremely polite and JUST what we needed after a long day. My mother was completely blown away by the gesture of the cake waiting in her room, and she said it was delicious!

I was able to take advantage of breakfast the next morning - reasonable priced and greatly staffed.

This was my second time at this hotel and I promise that I will indeed return back to this property as it's in a perfect location and the staff exceeds expectations!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I liked this hotel. The room was clean, spacious, well-decorated, and very comfortable. I slept soundly here! The front lobby was lovely and the location was convenient. The indoor pool and hot tub were clean and nice, although the hot tub never really got hot.

I did have a few problems, not dealbreakers, just annoyances. My room key deactivated pretty much every time I put it in my purse, and I'd never had that happen before and I've stayed in a lot of hotels! The magnetic strip on it must've been very weak, or maybe it was the door lock itself...

The door lock to my room completely died when I was returning late one night. No one could get me into my room, so the front desk had to call a maintenance man off site. They offered me another room to sleep for the night, but I really needed to get into my room for my things. It took about an hour altogether and was after midnight by the time I got into my room, and even then I couldn't leave and come back into the room for any reason until the maintenance man could do additional repairs in the morning, otherwise I would've been hopelessly locked out again. I was understanding and I know that these things do happen, and everyone was professional under the circumstances. Even the maintenance guy arrived within about half an hour which I thought was impressive. The next day, the front desk sent a thank you card and a fruit and cheese tray for the trouble. A discount would've been much more appreciated, especially since I was never around to eat the food they sent, but at least they took the initiative to acknowledge the inconvenience I experienced.

Lodging choices in the Groton and Mystic area aren't very appealing, but I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is a fine option for a stay in the region. Biggest praise is due to FAST CONSISTENT WI-FI! So few hotels manage this; some deliberately cripple their wifi to sell more in-room pay-per-view. Rooms and baths are compact but adequate - bathroom door was oddly laid out and wouldn't stay open if you wanted it to do so. The restaurant / bar is inelegantly carved out of the lobby but the execution and value were fine; you pay $6 to $10 for breakfast, but the make an effort to make it better than the typical free buffet. We enjoyed our simple but tasty late night dinner after arrival. Pool area is simple but satisfactory; gym is spacious and well-appointed.

Location is great for Groton military stuff but I noticed no uniforms; perhaps priced over government rate? It's an easy 10-15 minute drive to Mystic depending on your destination, the drive to Watch Hill and Misquomicut are a solid 30 minutes due to lots of surface driving required.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Everything was great. The room was clean, the sheets fresh, quiet. One complaint I had was the quilt on the bed was heavy and too hot. I was hot under it - too hot - but too cold just under the sheet. Why such a heavy quilt during the summer?

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Taipei
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We have chosen to stay here for the past three years when traveling through the area. Large, clean rooms. Very nice breakfast options. Nice facilities (pool, hot tub, fitness room), friendly staff. Ample parking. Simply put, I really like this hotel and after driving hundreds of miles, I always look forward to retiring there. Singles, families, couples, etc. would all be comfortable.Close proximity to highways, Connecticut College, Coast Guard Academy. I've never had a problem at this hotel. It has always met expectations.

NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We recently spent three nights in the Hilton Garden Inn Mystic-Groton.
Pros:
-Convenient location
-Attractive lobby
-Very friendly and helpful staff
-Pool with adequate towels
-Comfortable beds, nice linens
-Free WiFi
-Business center free of charge
-Free parking

Cons:
-Rooms showing some wear-- stained carpet in rooms, stained caulking
-Loud air conditioner
-Refrigerator wasn't very cold
-Some issues with cleanliness- bathroom could have been a little cleaner. (Nothing disgusting but not as clean as I prefer.)
-Lacked some attention to detail- for example, missing tissues in one room, broken coffee pot in another room. But staff took care of the missing/broken items.
-Lukewarm shower one day.

Overall, this hotel met our needs. It was one of the highest rated in the area. We would return if we received a good rate, but it wasn't a fabulous stay that would ensure a return visit in the future.

Lake Grove, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was not very happy with my stay. When I made the reservation, I requested 2 cribs. When I got there, we had no cribs in the room and I had 2 very tired babies with us. They were going to try and "find" some cribs but that was going to take a while, so I just brought in my portable play yards from the car. It was a pain and I think the hotel should have been better prepared for us. Also I did not like the attitude one of the front desk attendants gave me - when we were talking about if the rooms had cribs, she said "before we get all excited..." in a patronizing tone to me. Very irritating. And to top it all off, I complained to a different front desk attendant when I checked out and she said the manager would be in contact with me - 4 days have since passed and nobody has contacted me. Sorry but this is no way to treat a "valued" Hilton Honors guest.

BTW, I was not going to post this on Tripadvisor. I gave the hotel 2 opportunities to contact me about this experience. When I checked out, I gave my feedback to the front desk attendant and she said the manager would contact me - no contact. Then, I filled out Hilton's automated email survey and again - no contact.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Mystic Groton? Share your experiences!