“Not really getting all of the glowing reviews” 3 of 5 stars

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Griswold
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   375 Voluntown Road, Griswold, CT 06351   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Griswold
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
“Not really getting all of the glowing reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I booked a 2 room jacuzzi/fireplace suite here for 2 nights for my family of 4 based on price and all of the great reviews. I really loved the idea of being able to have a separate room for my kids during part of our trip, and of course the jacuzzi! We were pleasantly surprised by the lobby when entering and the staff and check-in was very friendly and helpful recommending a restaurant nearby. We took our bags to room and noted that there were only 5 pillows for 4 people and 2 bath towels- no big deal, it is not uncommon to have to call desk for these items. My kids wanted to swim so my husband went to front desk while I took kids to pool. Staff gave him towels and said they would look for pillows (no housekeeping staff in hotel). After swimming for a while (pool was nice enough, if not a little cool for being heated) we went back to room to change for dinner. A knock came at the front door, my husband answered and a minute later came to tell me that apparently there were no more pillows in the entire hotel?! Apparently they suggested that we give our children some of the "extra" pillows from our bed. When I booked the room it was stated that it would accommodate up to 4 people so why only pillows for 2? And since when are guests only allowed 1 pillow each? That pretty much set the tone for the rest of our stay. Fireplace would not even turn on (didn't bother to complain because I figured it would not be taken care of anyway), checked 3 times for the coffee and snacks we were told were in the lobby but coffee was never made after breakfast, breakfast was less than fantastic but atleast it was free. And the worst part is that upon check-out, after being asked if everything was okay, staff stated that they were having a "pillow shortage". In other words, they already were aware of the fact that there were not enough pillows to accommodate guests BEFORE fully
the rooms. May I suggest a drive to WalMart?!
For the price we paid I would have been happy with the property if not for the annoyances we experienced during our stay, but I don't think I would take another chance staying here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Griswoldct, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Griswold, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for the review. I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. I appreciate your comments and would be more than happy to discuss your experience. I can be reached at 860-376-3200.

Regards,
Laura Wheatley, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
West Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the online reviews. I was a little suspect of the abundance of 5 star ratings. Just seemed too good to be true. Well, you made a believer out of me. My husband and I stayed on 7/19 and both at check in and check out the front desk staff were incredibly helpful. At check in Melissa was kind enough to correct an error I made in reserving the room online. The rooms were above average in cleanliness, there was no mini fridge or microwave like most hotels offer these days. The room was very quiet…I don’t know if that’s because no one was occupying the adjacent rooms or if the rooms are sound proof. In either case, that plus the comfortable bed made for a good night’s sleep.
Its location, right off Rt. 395 made is convenient to the casinos without the price tag of the large hotels that are a little closer. For me, service and cleanliness out-weighs the extra 5 minutes it take to get to the casino. There is a shuttle to the casinos, but we didn’t use it. It’s nice to know that it is an option.
We did use the pool and hot-tub area. It was very clean although no towels were available at pool side. We just used the ones from the room. There was a problem with the filter during our stay and the chlorine levels must have been high, because it bleached out my bathing suit. I did mention it at check out and the clerk went out of her way to make it right for me. She was wonderful, although I wish I had gotten her name to acknowledge her properly. I wasn’t expecting anything I just wanted to bring it to their attention so it could be corrected.
The breakfast area was clean and well stocked with eggs, sausage, cereal, yoghurt, bagels, toast, fresh fruit and my favorite make your own Belgium waffles. Outstanding employees who go the extra mile made our stay exceptional! If this is the caliber of all the staff, then management is doing something right. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is planning to stay in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the great review! Our staff takes great pride in making each and every guest feel at home. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Mechanicsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

So my company sends me on an assignment in Jewett City, about 5 miles away from the Mohegan Sun casino.
Cool. I can stay at one of the hotels close to the casino and get in a bit of entertainment after work.
But then I checked the ratings, comments and especially the room rates at these hotels. It is a business trip, after all, and I have to keep expenses down.
So much for staying really close to Mohegan Sun. The hotels that fall within the expense guidelines are poorly rated and the ones that get good reviews will require lots of explanations on my expense report.
So I "settle" for the AmericInn Lodge in Griswold. I say "settle" because it's the first time I've stayed at any AmericInn.
The first thing that got me was the lobby. Airy, bright, breakfast area on one side, looks like someplace where you can sit and relax. Then there's registration. The lady at the front desk (should have gotten her name for a personal thank-you) was pleasant, helpful, everything one expects from front desk staff. The room was clean, larger than I expected, AC, TV and internet all working well. The bed was comfortable, the shower had plenty of hot water, furniture comfortable for a little after-travel paperwork.
I checked out after one night but found out later that my assignment would take longer than expected. Back to the AmericInn, without a reservation. Someone else was handling the front desk and she was just as pleasant and helpful as the lady who checked me in the first time (didn't get her name either, but thanks to both of you). She ulled the records from the previous night and even managed to get both nights on one charge. Makes my expense reporting much easier.
Bottom line--nice hotel, very pleasant staff, excellent accommodations, very good breakfast and the price is right.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Griswoldct, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Griswold, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for giving us a "try". We strive to exceed our guest's expectations. Please feel free to stop in again to see us next time your company sends you to Jewett City or if you are in the area visiting the casinos (we offer complimentary shuttle service to Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun on weekends!). Thank you again. It was a pleasure serving you.
Holliston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My cousin and I have now stayed here for two separate girls' weekends. The staff is always pleasant, courteous, helpful, knowledgeable and caring. The rooms are always clean, fresh and well appointed. This year, our greeter told us she was going to put us on the first floor as there was a wedding group on the 2nd floor and she wanted us to have our quiet time. She remembered us from last year and even remembered that I love to crochet and asked about my latest project. The breakfast is always good. It is a short distance to the casinos. Convenient location to I395. The pool and hot tub and is clean and wonderful. We love this place!!
My husband and I also stayed here a couple of years ago and had the efficiency suite which was perfect for eating in and relaxing. We love this place!

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet. There is never a bad room or location in the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Griswoldct, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Griswold, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing the AmericInn for your girl's weekend. It is a pleasure hosting you and we hope to see you again soon.
Gloucester, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed over one night with three teens for a basketball tournament. Room was nice, everything was clean and room really was as quiet as they advertise. Breakfast was good, very good at restocking. Staff was very nice. Pool & hot tub area looked nice although we didn't have time to use. About 20 minutes to Foxwoods. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Griswoldct, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Griswold, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It was a pleasure hosting your team. We hope you will visit us again in the future.
Tewksbury Mass
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

we always stay at the americinn when we want to go gambling at foxwoods or mohegan sun they have many food items to choose from at the morning breakfast like bacon, sausage , eggs, waffles, yogurt , cereals, fruit, muffins , donuts, coffee and juices The rooms are very nice and clean and the rates are reasonable .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. It is always a pleasure hosting you. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Not happy with their service and I didn't even get to stay there. Last week I called to see if they offered government employee discounts or veteran discounts and the response I got back from the girl at the desk was 'I'm not really sure but I'm gonna say no.' Gee.. Thanks for taking all that time to get me a solid answer. I later investigate online that they DO in-fact offer those discounts. I was still bothered by that customer service that I started to look at other places. I again was in limbo between a few place but really liked their suite options. So I let it go and called back today to book a reservation for the suite with jacuzzi. A nice lady answered and said she was currently with a patron and would call me back in 15 minutes. I left her with my name and number. That was at 1pm today... It's now 7 and still no call.. I booked somewhere else. The two interactions I had with the hotel turned me off. I even called back 5 times spread out after 1 hour had passed with no call and no one answered?! I also didn't love their shuttle schedule, but that was something I was willing to work around. Very disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013
Griswoldct, General Manager at AmericInn Lodge & Suites Griswold, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
First and foremost, thank you for your feedback. I do apologize that the "the ball got dropped". We were having issues with the phone system which have since been resolved and I have addressed the call back issue. I can assure you that superb customer service is our number priority. Please feel free to contact me directly to arrange another night's stay. Please give us the opportunity to make it up to you.

Warm regards,
Laura Wheatley, General Manager
860-376-3200

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Griswold? Share your experiences!