“Still The Best Spot in Greenwich for Special Occasions” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Thomas Henkelmann is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 142 Restaurants in Greenwich
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“Still The Best Spot in Greenwich for Special Occasions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Another Christmas (sometimes it is Christmaas Eve) for us at the Currier and Ives spot locals refer to by its Inn name "The Homestead".
It is perrfect for times when one wants a a quiet ,very elegant dinner by the fire, with all that goes with it.
Not much ever changes, including Ashley at the Bar for 13 years, and one always gets what one goes there for, excellent food, from a traditional continental menu, well prepared and well served.
Not inexpensive but well worth it.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Fairfield Connecticut
“Best of the Best -every time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I can't help but contrast my experience here with my experience at the four seasons restaurant last night in New York. I have been a long time devotee of both places. The four seasons sadly has dropped off the charts. By contrast, The service here was impeccable including the valet service the welcome the ordertaking the wine service. Everything was as perfect as you could expect. The dishes were hot. The flatware was placed perfectly and Neatly with each course. I ordered a trio of pate Foie gras that was as good as any I have tasted including the best that Paris has to offer. The bread was toasted perfectly. Therack of veal was cooked to perfection with an exterior crustiness that was memorable – as was the accompanying sauce and mushrooms. The vacherin dessert with velvety Smooth vanilla bean ice cream was heavenly. This Charming country inn Just off the Connecticut Turnpike is a great place for New Yorkers to go For a change of pace.l

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Place for a Quiet Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We had a business dinner here, but if you were celebrating a special occasion and wanted first rate service, nice atmosphere and great food/wine, this would be nice.

Visited September 2012
“How the Mighty Have Falllen”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

As you will drop a bundle for a meal here I will review all that was wrong in some detail - and you can decide on your own if its worth it.

Where to begin? OK - from the beginning. We were a party of 5.

1.Upon arrival there was no attendant out front (or sign to indicate there was one) so we pulled into the parking lot. While walking to the restaurant a man called from across the lot telling me to leave my key in the car. Upon asking why he indignantly said, "Because I am the attendant". When I offered him the key it was too much for him to come over to get it and he said in a huff, "Fine. Just leave it there." OK....

2. Our appetizer order was not taken correctly and we all waited (a long time) for it to be corrected. Meanwhile they made no attempt to cover our plates or remove them to keep them warm. Subsequently they got cold.

3. The white wine ordered to go with the appetizer was off (seriously so). We chose another and despite the long delay awaiting the correct appetizer, the second wine appeared only when all were half done with their food. We therefore passed on having it opened.

4. There was one benefit, however, to our appetizers sitting so long. It allowed enough time for an inch-worm to crawl out of the salad atop one of them. Another wait ensued for that to be 'corrected'. (And still the second wine came too late.)

5. As entertainment, two staff got into an argument right next to our table. (You can't make this stuff up!).

6. When the red wine came I asked for a piece of bread to clear the palate before tasting. Not a unreasonable request for a $180.00 bottle of wine. Fully five minutes later, it arrived. (We were told it had to be baked!?)

7. Our main course was not good. The veal was bland, as was the lobster, which was also dry, while the accompanying risotto was tasteless.

We've been here before (but are not "regulars") having followed the chef when he moved from La Panatiere years ago. All previous visits were at least 'very good', if not 'excellent' This one was a complete waste of money.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wilton, Connecticut
“Went Here for New Years Eve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

The food was good, but not as impressive as I would have hoped. The service, I will say, was excellent. I would like to try them again seeing as my fiance and I did go here on a holiday.