“Great lunch spot!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 79 restaurants in Glastonbury
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Delivery
Description: Our creative menu is sure to excite your palate. We pride ourselves on our seasonally changing menu selections we refer to as “Kooky Konkoctions”, or, of course you can always create your own. We cater all types of occasions from elaborate full service special events, weddings, parties, corporate meetings, private dinner, backyard picnics to simple delivery drop-offs and everything in between.The Spicy Green Bean, more than anything else, is about great taste and quality food. Variety comes in a close second. You'll be able to return again and again and have something great and different, every time.Our bakery selections are baked fresh daily so each day the selections vary - Stop in and see what we have or call in advance to place a special order. Each day we usually have a varied selection of fresh baked cookies, cupcakes, brownies, bars, cakes, and homemade ice creams!!
Vernon, Connecticut
“Great lunch spot!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We saw The Spicy Green Bean on a friend's Facebook page. We're always looking for different restaurants so I wrote it down and the note has been on my desk for a few months. On Friday (August 2), we were looking for a place to have lunch and decided to finally go to this restaurant. It doesn't look like much from the outside and there's not much parking but the food was great and definitely worth the trip. I had the chicken salad with bacon and cranberries and my husband had the kielbasa and sauerkraut sandwich. Both were excellent. The service was good as well. We'll definitely go back again in the future. It's not a place I'd take my kids because the menu choices weren't up their alley but it was definitely a quirky yet delicious choice for lunch.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
spicygreenbean, Manager at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hi Rita C! Thank you so much for finally coming in and checking us out! We love to see new faces and hope to see you again soon!
We do have a kids menu and can always make anything they want!

74% Recommend
Hartford, Connecticut
“Unique atmosphere, and very good food...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

The food sells it's self. I would recommend the veggie burger to anyone! The service, on the other hand... Not that great. They are nice enough, just not to great with "checking in". I have since gone back and will go back again, because yes the food is THAT good.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Hi KDreamBear!

Thanks for the awesome review of our food! I am constantly working on the service and hopefully we will be better at that soon!

Jacksonville, Florida
“Funky, quirky and charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

One might expect to find a place like this in New Haven, Cambridge or Ann Arbor instead of Hartford. The atmosphere, decor and menu are funky, quirky and eclectic rather than elegant or even hip. The food is pricey, but the portions are large, and the food is well-prepared. The place is small and crowded, and the HVAC system was obviously unprepared for temperatures in the mid-90's. it's definitely worth a visit if you are in the Glastonbury area.

Visited July 2013
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Hi sjgatl and thank you for the awesome review of us! We appreciate the kind words and hope you will be back if you are ever in the area!

Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“A Good Hearty Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Spicy Green is a family-friendly restaurant with a laid-back and chilled atmosphere that makes tasty breakfast dishes. They bring creativity to your ordinary breakfast items and it makes for a delicious meal. I've eaten their a few times and I haven't had a dish I haven't liked. Be warned that their pancakes our a bit on the heavy side, so even if you think you want two, I would recommend one.

I love their Breffie potatoes (a mix of fried red, purple, and sweet potatoes). I also recommend their corned beef hash and their pastrami as a side of in a breakfast sandwich.

They have a small dining room, so if you have a party of more than six people, I recommend you make reservations in advance.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hi Aaliyah M! Thanks so much for coming in and taking the time to write this awesome review! Come back soon!
Kathy!
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“good food poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This was a first time visit for my wife and I. We were amazed at the outstanding flavor and portions of the food. The wait time for the food was probably 15+ not bad. But the service could really use a adjustment. We had one server for the whole resturaunt. When we were eating another waiter showed up and started going around lighting up the candles. We were empty on our drinks our server was lost somewhere so we asked the waiter who was lighting candles to refill our drinks took awhile but we did get our drinks. The floor was sticky and the dining area was hot and sticky humid. For the amount of business you are doing you need to make the investment !!!. I told my wife that the food was out of this world BUT if the dining area was uncomfortable and not up to parthan I can only imagine what the kitchen and storage areas are like.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Hi Thomas S:
Thank you for coming into the Bean and taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed the food! The service issue we are aware of and constantly working to try to make it a more enjoyable experience. As far as improvements to the temperature, we do not own the building so there is not much more we do, we have installed new air conditioners each year and put a large in the kitchen area to circulate air as well. The flooring we do apologize for, we are currently working with the landlord to get permission to change the flooring. You are more than welcome to come into the back next time you are in to see the kitchen and storage area, we have never gotten below a 96 score from the health inspector.
Thanks and hopefully you will be back!