“Terrible staffing.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 79 Restaurants in Glastonbury
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Delivery
Description: Our creative menu is sure to excite your palate. We pride ourselves on our seasonally changing menu selections we refer to as “Kooky Konkoctions”, or, of course you can always create your own. We cater all types of occasions from elaborate full service special events, weddings, parties, corporate meetings, private dinner, backyard picnics to simple delivery drop-offs and everything in between.The Spicy Green Bean, more than anything else, is about great taste and quality food. Variety comes in a close second. You'll be able to return again and again and have something great and different, every time.Our bakery selections are baked fresh daily so each day the selections vary - Stop in and see what we have or call in advance to place a special order. Each day we usually have a varied selection of fresh baked cookies, cupcakes, brownies, bars, cakes, and homemade ice creams!!
“Terrible staffing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Let me preface this review by saying that I have dined here at least 10 times and have generally enjoyed my experience here each time. Today, however, I am sitting in a completely packed restaurant staffed with one server and one cook. There have been five walk outs due to lack of service in the time I've been here. Needless to say, SGB needs to figure it out. I will not be dining here for breakfast again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Hi Foodie8249: I am aware of what happened that morning. We usually have three servers scheduled to work and that morning 2 of the 3 no showed. This was unfortunate for us as well as our customers but it obviously was not planned. I am happy to hear you have been in 10 times and I hope you have noticed we always have multiple servers on at once. We did have three cooks that morning and one of them started working the tables until we were able to get more staff in at 11AM. I am sorry you had to experience this and I do hope you will give us another chance.

Hope, Rhode Island
“Great food, great prices, love the BYOB”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had a great time at this restaurant with a group of friends. The food is excellent, the prices were great and the service is fantastic. We were the only people in the restaurant during a snow storm, they stayed open for us and were wonderful.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thanks so much Lauren L for your awesome review of us! We appreciate it!!

Farmington, Connecticut
“Best at off-peak times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Eclectic menu -- delicious food. Love this place. Reminds me a bit of throwback hippie era but with a modern edge. Very small, so off to slightly-off peak times are best -- otherwise you risk being stuck in too small a space with a group of bombastic men or cackling women -- neither is enjoyable. Many good meatless options. Lots of interesting specials and for dinner you can also order from lunch menu for lighter fare. Very reasonable prices, friendly staff. Bring your own wine for dinner, no corking fee. Great lunch take out -- build your own delicious sandwiches with so many choices of fresh real foods! Tiny storefront. convenient location. parking in back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Hi LimerickRoscommon! Thanks for the great review. As a small business owner I truly appreciate the time you took to review us. Thanks!
Glastonbury, Connecticut
“Great brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I love going to the Spicy Green Bean. The weekend brunches are amazing! You have to wait but it is well worth it. I love the unique sandwiches. My favorite is the zucchini sandwich. So delish!!

Visited April 2013
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hi Mozdzierz:
Thank you so much for your great review of us! Hope to see you again soon!
Sunrise, Florida
“Very unique, very eclectic, very worth visiting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The bad news: the restaurant is tinyand very noisy. The good news: the food is excellent. The menu isn't very large and apparently changes weekly. Everything is made to order. Portions are quite large and easily shared. We all had tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons (bite size grilled cheese sandwiches) and shrimp. I usually hate tomato soup but this was really good. Pulled duck quesadillas, shrimp egg rolls, pork ribs, a very tasty white fish I had never heard of were all outstanding. The desserts, while mostly made elsewhere, are delicious. BYOB. Ask for the table in the kitchen where it is much quieter and more spacious than the main dining room. Prices are very reasonable. Be careful where you park. At least one neighbor likes to have cars towed.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hi Howie8471! Sounds like you came in for our weekly changing dinner menu! We are glad you enjoyed! Yes our landlord and the Diamond next door like to tow cars, they will not tow anyone as long as we are open though so you should be safe - and the tow drivers usually don't come until 11PM and they will check to make sure we have no customers left. Hope to see you soon!