“Slept on the Floor” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Slept on the Floor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

My husband and I were attending a wedding on the east coast and I wanted to stay in Glastonbury as I had lived there once before. After searching here on TA, we decided to spring for this property. It was more expensive than we had budgeted for, especially since we'd be staying just one night, but decided it would be worth it for good sleep.

Unfortunately we arrived much later than planned because of rain delays at the airport. We flew in to Albany since we had to return from there for the wedding, so it was a long drive into Connecticut and we were very tired. The owner came down to let us in and show us to our room. It was very cute and clean and we were delighted we'd chosen to spend the extra money.

Until we got in the bed. The bed had a huge divot in the middle, causing us to roll into each other all night. It was also very hard and lumpy. And every time someone moved it squeaked so loud it was jarring. After waking up for the 100th time (it's a torture tactic for a reason), my husband decided to sleep on the floor. Yes, he pulled a blanket off the bed and literally slept on the hard floor so at least one of us could get some sleep. (I know, I have a keeper).

When we checked out in the morning, I let the owner know about the problem to save future guests. She took $20 of our room. I mean, I don't know about you, but if guests told me they slept on the floor because the bed was broken, I would have been mortified.

To add insult to injury, I received an email today from the hotel that prompted this review. They sent an email saying they checked out the bed, it was indeed broken, which caused the loud squeaking and the sagging. I thought, "how nice, they're going to credit our room?" but NO. No, instead they said that they apologize, but when guests arrive late, it doesn't allow them to opportunity to fix these things.

Oh, I see. It's OUR fault that my husband had to sleep on the floor because the bed was broken because we arrived late. I mean, seriously?? That's just terrible customer service. Thanks for going out of your way to let me know YOUR bed was indeed broken but it was MY fault you didn't do anything to fix it before we arrived. I would have understood that it went undiscovered, but once you confirmed you put someone on that torture trap, make amends! don't blame them! Just awful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
PatriciaB2010, Owner at The Connecticut River Valley Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
We are sorry that our guests had less than a positive experience during their stay at our property. Our goal is have all our guests leave with the feeling that they made a great accommodation decision.

After breakfast with other guests and light hearted discussions, upon checkout the problem with the bed came up only after I asked how their room was. They had not said anything previously. I was surprised that they were unhappy with the bed as guests usually rave about them ( see other reviews). The guest described the bed as "broken and extremely squeaky" , so bad that the husband slept on the floor.

Very puzzled, immediately after the guests left, we went to their room to find out what could have been wrong with the bed as no other guests had made any negative comments to us and we did have other guests just the night before who used that room. After pulling the entire bed apart we noticed that the right side vertical rail on the frame was out of alignment. Why or how or when that happened we are not sure, but we were able to adjust it in less than 10 minutes and reassemble the box springs and mattress.

The next day I sent a note of apology to the guests to let them know we found the problem and fixed it. Usually our guests are happy we take the time to follow up with them. The note was not to insult or upset them.

Sleeping on the floor was not necessary however as we had another available room we could have moved them to, if only we had been notified. All guests are given our cell phone number (we are on the premises) upon arrival and we stress that if they need us for any reason, if something is not right or malfunctioning in their room to please call us.

We also have very comfortable movable beds we could have set up for them in a few minutes if other rooms were not available.

We cannot stress enough that when staying at a B&B, owners want you to have a positive experience so it is very important to communicate when things are not right with your room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband & I were there to attend a family reunion in Portland. Glastonbury is a lovely town. The main street is one stately home after another. Good restaurants, coffee shops, wine, gift shops.
We loved our two night stay at CRVI. Pat & Wayne couldn't have been more accommodating. Comfortable surroundings, excellent breakfasts, lovely grounds. The Inn was very quiet, although full. Lovely bed linens, towels. Updated bathroom with steam shower-wow! The Inn, built in the 1700's, has been maintained and is full of character.
We would definitely stay there again, hopefully longer in order to explore the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
conn.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

The best B&B we have stayed at yet. It has all the conveniences of an excellent hotel with the warmth and friendliness of a family home. It is the ideal place to stay whether one is on a business trip or simply wants a quiet place to relax and enjoy the grounds. We will definitely return when we are able to spend more time.

Room Tip: They are all good, 2nd floor off the deck overlooking the grounds is very nice.
Green Features: We found the Inn to be very friendly environmentally especially with towel and water usage.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed two nights at the Connecticut River Valley Inn and would happily go back. Pat and Wayne are great. The house and grounds are very pretty and exceptionally well-maintained. Our suite took up the top floor of the house and consisted of a spacious sitting room, separate bedroom and a good-sized bath with a rain shower. There was plenty of storage in a large armoire. The only downside was that lighting in both rooms was a bit dim.
Breakfasts were a real treat - yummy omelets one day and multi-grain French toast the nest. Both served with fresh fruit and yoghurt.
A choice of several good restaurants are close by for dinner.
Two doggies provide entertainment.

Room Tip: Make sure that the bath is large enough for your needs. One is a bit crowded. All rooms are up at...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Stayed at the Inn during a college reunion weekend. House has great charm and is in the perfect location to be able to walk to stores, restaurants and the CT river. The rooms are nicely appointed and the bed in my room was very comfortable. Beautifully landscaped yard and the back patio was a great place to enjoy a morning coffee. Breakfast was very good and the innkeepers were a joy to speak (and deal) with during my stay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Harrison, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 10 year anniverssary here. We enjoyed everything about this place. It was very nice, clean. Pat and Wayne were very kind and accomidating. The suite we stayed in was fantastic. Had everything we needed. The rainforest shower was exceptional. We didn't go without anything. Wish we could've stayed longer. Mike

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
East Coast, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

A very comfortable place to stay. The innkeepers are terrific, the rooms are spacious and comfy, the grounds are beautiful. An oasis in Glastonbury CT. Breakfast was excellent. There 's always tea and coffee when you want it too.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Connecticut River Valley Inn? Share your experiences!