“Didn't come for business” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Farmington
Richmond, Virginia
“Didn't come for business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Located in a technology park, the hotel is not within the charming Farmington community. The lobby is open and large with a seating area. The bar is open early (I was with a wedding party), and the bartender was very amicable. It has both an outdoor and indoor pool. Although it was in the 90's, the outdoor pool was too chilly to swim in (!), so everyone was at the other. Many families with young children were at the pool. There is a short running trail behind the hotel that is probably a mile or more loop. The rooms were very nice and I liked that they claimed to clean everything, including the white duvet cover every day. Can that be true?? Be sure to ask for a room close to an elevator; I felt as if our room was in the next town and I'm a runner. The housekeepers are as friendly, if not more, than those at the front desk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the hotel but not next to the ice machine.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Freehold, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Nice retreat area. There is an indoor and outdoor pool and whirlpool. Courtyard for the outdoor pool is nice and lobby is attractive. The rooms were nice and bed comfortable, but no refrigerator. Restaurant has good food, but slightly expensive, however, the angus burger was worth it. The property needs better maintenance however. The pool area bushes were overgrown, the women's bathroom needs attention as some of the tiles were in poor repair. Staff was courteous. The "gift shop" could be a lot better as there were no newspapers. Also, the sushi bar closed before 11 arbitrarily so that was disappointing. Also, they forgot to give me "elite" keys, etc. The property is not near any breakfast places, etc. I would stay again, but would encourage Marriott to do some maintenance on this property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nanuet, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

When you've only stayed at Marriott Fairfields, Courtyards, Residence Inns, etc. you're taken aback just a little by the elegance of this property. Everything from the setting in the trees to the nice brick work of the walls tells you from the exterior that this is not the Marriott you stayed at by the airport a few years ago. Inside, there's a large sweeping lobby with cookies and flavored water, and the desk staff were the most friendly and polite I've ever seen.

The room was well-appointed, and while I do find certain things "dated", the bed has definitely been upgraded to the pillow-top mattress that I've come to expect out of a mid-priced stay. That said, there are signs that this place never left the 1980's. First, at the edges of the property and on the roofs are these enormous satellite dishes, I thought we could get by with dishes that were the size of a large pizza pan?

The next thing is the card on the desk that says wireless Internet is $12.95 a day, The "Guest Services Directory" in the room refers to this gee-whiz technology as "Up to 50 times faster than a normal dial-up connection" and "Use your in-room voice line at the same time you're on the Internet." Wow, what will they think of next??!! Ok, maybe I shouldn't make fun of it, but I wouldn't have even bothered to look at that section of the Guide if they didn't announce openly that I wasn't going to get free wireless Internet like I'm used to getting in this part of the 21st Century from even a Motel 6.

While the place needs a bit of touch up here and there (inside and outside, my room door looked a little worse for wear) the thing they really need are modern grab bars in the shower. Now, this isn't the first hotel I was ever in that thought that a towel rack IN the shower was a good idea, but is it really screwed in there tightly enough to hold the weight of a potentially falling person? The only thing I had to hang on to in the vicinity of the shower nozzle was the short (and low) grab bar on the soap rack, at least it looked as securely fastened in place as the tile below the shower head that said, "Please Place Curtain in Tub Before Using Shower". At least they could have provided a rubber mat for the very slippery (non-textured) tub floor, I'd have appreciated that far more than a "Shoe Mitt".

I realize this place is for business travelers on expense accounts who don't mind paying $14 plus service charge and tax for buttermilk pancakes delivered by room service, but there are a few things they need to deal with that ultra-fancy soap doesn't quite make up for. Still, the legendary Marriott politeness is here in abundance.

Room Tip: The hallways here are pretty long, and it can be quite a hike from your parking space to the lobby...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We've stayed here in the past, and have moved to the Hampton Inn since it openend. We thought that since we always stay at the Hampton Inn for our 10 or so overnight trips to Farmington a year, we'd give this a shot this past weekend for old times sake (and I think MPS was having its graduation as the rates at the Hamton were significantly higher than usual).

The rooms...the rooms use nice linens but it doesn't cover the fact that the hotel is old and in need of repair. We were in room 378, which had a large swath of peeling ceiling near the window, and the bathroom was mildewed and the interior door and walls were pretty beat up. Heavy use of the "Marriott Spray" (the cloying air freshner all Marriotts use) didn't mask the underlying mildew smell from the A/C.

Also, I agree 100% with the person who said the pool was "taken over" by unruly kids. We went down to use it and there were 6 people in the 18-22 range who were obnoxious, doing cannonballs, and having splash fights in the pool, and literally staring down anyone who tried to get in the pool at the same time. They chased out three poor kids who were in there when we arrived. There was no one keeping an eye on the pool area and it was very disappointing that anyone who came in immediately turned around and left. The pool itself was murky and so full of chlorine that even though I was in it for less than three minutes I had to get up in the middle of the night to wash my arms and hands to try to get the bleach smell out. Hot tub was nice, but definitely in the high end of the hot range.

Hotel bar had a very nice bartender, with a super heavy pour. Front desk was very nice at check in. Given how dated it is, we will continue to stay at the Hampton Inn the 6-8 times when we visit.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators and housekeeping/service entrances.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Dissappointing stay. The hotel was dated and the front desk disorganized. The manager on duty tried his best to salvage the stay but there were just too many mixups. There was also a soccer tournament AND weddings going on so it was very crowded, our daughter could not relax in the pool as the teams were splashing around and "taking over" the pool. Upon check-in the manager noticed I had almost renewed my "Platinum" status with Marriott and it was only May and remarked, "you have to stop traveling so much". It was nice to be recognized but then they made some basic mistakes. The cot for my daughter was not in the room - had to ask twice and call twice. They were unable to accomodate my request for an upgrade which I know is subject to availability and then for two double beds. I have a Marriott Travel Card which I wanted to use for incidentals as I stayed using my Marriott Points. Nobody at the desk knew how to use it. They assured me at check out I could put all incidentals on the card. I was skeptical based on other experiences so far at hotel. Upon check-out the manager on duty did a nice job and was able to put my incidentals on my Marriott Travel Card - however, as feared the charges ALSO hit my personal credit card. I called a week ago and they told me that it was just an automated charge that would fall off in 72 hours. Never happened. I spend a half hour this morning (a week later) calling their accounting office to explain that what they told me would happen did not happen. I was then transferred to a supervisor who is working on it as we speak. All in all, the worst of my 70 stays at a Marriott so far this year. Unfortunate because this was one of my few trips where my family was joining me and it was for pleasure. You'd like to think that all of your business trips earn you a nice family vacation once in a while. Not at this Marriott and I LOVE Marriott properties. Hope they can make it right. Not impressed with the level of service or lack there of.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kaysville, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

This hotel needs a makeover, inside and out. The hotel is in a wooded area and from the outside it looks dingy, moldy, and stodgy. The lobby and common areas look like they've been updated, but not the right kind of updates.

I was put on the concierge level in one of the outer buildings. I liked that when you arrive on the concierge level, you are immediately in the lounge. The rooms have also been updated, but again, not the right kind of updates.

I'll try and stay somewhere else next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: They're all the same. I think I might rather stay in the main building.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

This hotel is not as nice as a lot of Marriotts, but for the middle of Connecticut, it is pretty good. They have an outdoor running path through the woods, which is cool.

Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hartford Marriott Farmington? Share your experiences!