“Not as nice as their website implies, not very clean” 3 of 5 stars

Farmington Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   827 Farmington Avenue, Farmington, CT 06032   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Farmington
Mission BC
“Not as nice as their website implies, not very clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

I stayed for 3 nights for business. It was paid by the local corporation we were visiting, I was told it was well under $100 a night. It's ok but I wasn't totally impressed. Expedia rates this hotel 2.5 stars which is about right. Some of the furniture is quite nice for the price of the hotel, but they are definitely not antiques in the rooms. I liked the decor, not the typical budget hotel room . The bed was nice. The bathroom and main room areas were clean, the daily maids are doing their jobs but under the bed was very dusty and had used cleanexs on the floor. The corners and behind chairs etc were very dusty. I found 8-month-old adult mens magazines behind the dresser, I am pretty sure thats how long they had been there, the plastic wrapper was there too! Not really what I would call a clean room. My co-workers room had new carpeting but the installers didn't bother to clean up, carpet remnants were all over the place, it had not been vacuumed since installed. Breakfast was decent and the hotel felt safe. I think for the money its OK ,I would stay again for business but over $100 a night I would try elsewhere.

• Liked — Doesn't look like a cookie cutter hotel chain
  • Disliked — Dirty Room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2006

Came across this property late on rainy night. Walked in, was greeted warmly by the clerk and given one of the suites at the rate for a regular room. The suite was large, well furnished, and very comfortable. A great bed with a lot of pillows and a well stocked bathroom was very welcome on this rainy night. Breakfast the next morning was above average. All in all a great discovery that will be a destination on some future trip

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

We had about 40 of our wedding guests stay at The Farmington Inn in June 2005. From the first to the last interaction, we found everyone at the hotel to be very pleasant and accomodating, including Carter and the front desk staff. They answered all of my questions, gave us a reasonable group rate, helped us keep track of the incoming reservations, and handed out gift bags. They even gave us use of one of the meeting rooms as a place to gather after the reception and continue to celebrate, and they took receipt of about 12 large pizzas that arrived before we got back from the reception. All of our guests (about 19 rooms worth) commented on what a lovely place it was and how much they enjoyed their stay. Even after the wedding weekend was over, Carter was very helpful in addressing a billing question I had. Before booking our rooms, I had read some of the more negative reviews on this and other websites, and I have to say, our personal experience at The Farmington Inn was wonderful from start to finish!

• Stayed June 2005
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2005

Stayed there last week (Feb 05). Everything was clean, but it is NOT a "charming New England Inn", which is what I believed it would be from the website. It is more like what another reviewer said: a spruced up Econolodge. Rate for 1 Sat night in Feb: $122 inc. tax. It is right on the main road, so request a room facing the rear parkinglot. Also, not every room has four poster beds and cute wallpaper. Our room was run-of-the-mill econolodge style, but the bed was VERY comfortable with nice sheets , lots of pillows, and duvet cover. (we peeked into a 4-poster room, and it was much nicer). Bathroom was utilitarian but they offered Gilchrist & Soames amenities, along with a glass crystal ice/wine bucket and real glasses (no plastic). Towels were clean and nice smelling, tho not luxurious. Breakfast was muffins, cereal, yogurts and coffee/tea in a decent breakfast room with a TV on CNN. Large TV in room, along with a little storybook placed on our pillows at night to tell about the local area (cute idea). We had to be in and out for a family event, and this place sufficed. If you stay here, make your stay better by requesting a room with a four poster bed. Then it'll feel more "authentic".

Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2004

Whatever they are paying their promotions people, it's not enough. This is not at all the charming New England inn that it is purported to be, it's more like the nicest Econo Lodge you've ever stayed in. The rooms are nice (not elegant), but the walls are paper-thin and the views are of the parking lots. The continental breakfast is a joke. It doesn't matter whether you go early or late, there is almost nothing available and nobody seems concerned about restocking the empty trays, or the coffee, or milk for the cereal, even when you tell them that they're out of everything. For all I know those same trays have been sitting there for years, because I never saw a muffin, or a croissant, or a baked good of any kind sitting on them. Every morning it's the same thing, a basket of white bread for toast, a tray with a few (and I mean few) melon cubes, and little boxes of cereal. But if you want coffee, or milk for your cereal, be prepared to beg, and then wait, for it. Caveat Emptor!

New Port Richey, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2004

My husband and I have just returned from a two night stay at the Farmington Inn. We were very satisfied with the service and beauty of the inn. We were in town for a family wedding and the Farmington was an excellant place for the guests to stay. The rooms were beautifully furnished and the beds were beyond comfortable. Most of my family, along with many wedding guests were there at the inn and each room was designed differently. That really added to the charm. The complimentary continental breakfast was wonderful, and was served in a lovely location. I would definately recommend this inn to anyone, it is an understated gem of New England!

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2004

I needed to fly to Ct. on the spur of the moment for a funeral. Having stayed at the Farmington Inn before, I felt that logistically it was a good choice. Well, on Fri. morning the toilet started to overflow. It just filled up and never flushed. I called the front desk who sent up the maintenance man. I told him it was NOT clogged, it just wouldn't flush. He plunged, and plunged and plunged. My friend and I had to go to the lobby to use the public facilities. I offered the desk clerk, Debbie, to change rooms but the maintenance man pronounced the toilet fixed. On Fri. eve. into Sat. morn the toilet literally overflowed rendering it non usable. We again had to go to the lobby to use the toilet facilities. At checkout, I wanted to speak to the manager, Carter, but he was unavailable and we had to pay and leave, very unsatisfied. He did call me and offered me first a $25 discount and after much haggling a $50 discount which I told him was totally unacceptable. When I stay in a hotel/motel I expect a working toilet with my room. He thinks charging $150 for the two nights with no toilet facilities is fine. I am putting this charge into dispute with the credit card company, who hopefully will understand that a room with a working toilet is what is appropriate. This general manager does not practice good business policy. I hope someone higher in the management of this facility sees this post as he would not tell me the owners and would not allow me to speak to his superiors. With proper plumbing this is a fine facility, but under the circumstances, I would never stay there again.

Been to Farmington Inn? Share your experiences!