“A lovely stay in a quaint, historical town” 4 of 5 stars

Farmington Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   827 Farmington Avenue, Farmington, CT 06032   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Farmington
Wapakoneta, Ohio
“A lovely stay in a quaint, historical town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

My husband and I have stayed in the Farmington Inn when his company sent him to the town of Farmington for work-related classes. The rooms were clean and comfortable; the staff at the hotel is very friendly and accomodating. They host a continental breakfast in the morning, consisting of hard boiled eggs to waffles, and yogurts to fruits. The chamber of commerce is located right in the hotel to assist with anything you'd like to do in the area. There is a nice walk down Main Street, which allows you to view some incredible historic houses, some dating back to the 1600's, that take your breath away. It is located close enough to attractions that enable you to visit such places as the Mark Twain and Harriet Beecher Stowe houses in nearby Hartford, and a semi-short drive to the Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods Casinos about an hour away. The town was also a critical point in the underground railroad, hosting everything from Amistad gravesites to a French Revolution cemetery on a hillside (Momento Mori). You can also reach the ocean beaches of southern Connecticut in an hour as well. I recommend visiting the Hill-Stead Museum, which was left to everyone as a museum by the previous owner, one of the first women architects in the United States. For a small entry fee, you get to tour the home, which was built in 1898-1901, and view original artworks by various painters. All in all, for never have been in that area of the country before and getting to go there twice in a little over a month, I came back with a lot of nice memories, and would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: The four-poster bedrooms are beautiful!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
CHOC-GM, General Manager at Farmington Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your stay. It was a pleasure to hear of your enjoyment of the stay and the area. Our employees are always happy to recommend things to do in our town, and we are pleased to offer a hotel that is part of the unique and historic area. We look forward to your future stays.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

I've stayed at Farmington Inn for business several times. I've found the service and friendliness of the staff unparalleled. The rooms are very nice and always clean. The added bonus is the historic nature of the Inn. The WiFi is free and works well. Ask about the availability of the hotel's shuttle. The drivers are also very friendly and helpful. If you're traveling on business, I always recommend a surge protector strip. Hotels seem to not have enough outlets for all of the electronic devices people have nowadays. I don't think you'll be disappointed with your stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Florence, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

This hotel is rather dated (the television had a VCR built into it) but our room was spacious enough to accomodate a king sized bed, desk with chair, television armoire, two nightstands and two chairs easily. The fitness room was limited but suited my needs perfectly - cardio machines and free weights. We did not use the housekeeping service per se, but rather would trade out glasses, towels etc. when we saw them in the hallway. All staff was exceptional in every way - professional, helpful and friendly. The breakfast cafe was great, always had something tasty and it was part of the room rental. The free wi-fi was a bonus and our cell phones worked well in the room and outer areas. Well lit exits/entrances complete with trash/cigarette receptacles. Since we had a long stay, coin operated laundry would have been a plus along with a way to store and re-heat food. Overall, a pleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Fernandina Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here visiting family and it was lovely. The rooms are beautiful and you can walk around the little town very easily. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Jersey Shore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

My friend and I stayed here for a girl's weekend. We were meeting up to attend a concert and doing some retail therapy outside New Haven. It was a quiet but convenient location just off Route 84. The room was very pretty with dual poster beds with canopies. Very clean. Standard amenities. Pleasant and helpful front desk help.
We were in a downstairs room and the floor/ceiling is not soundproof. I spent 45 minutes at 6:30am on a Sunday morning listening to the upstairs guests walk back and forth and back and forth. Ask for a second floor room.
The breakfast offerings were acceptable but it was not kept refilled and we had to ask for more coffee, more milk, more bagels.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

This is a very unique hotel experience for me. When I stepped into the lobby and received a heavy metal room key from a very friendly hotel employee, I knew I picked the right place. I stayed 4 nights there with my family including two young kids. I felt so at home. Everyday, after a busy or fun day, I sat with my hubby enjoying a cup of wine and crackers offered by manager for every guest. Kids enjoyed a piece of cookie or fruit also offered by hotel for free. They are so thoughful. There is always hot coffee, tea and water in the lobby. A binder with a lots of menu from local restaurants is also available. Manager helped me heating up kids' food using her own microwave. Another good point, besides the hotel, it is the main street of Farmington, a beautiful street with long history and stories.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Upon arrival, the staff person was pleasant for the late hour at which we arrived. (Bad rental car situation but that's another review.) There is some underground parking in case of precipitation. I was a bit troubled from a security point of view that the door into the hotel from the covered parking was unlocked despite being given a key which I was told that would work in the door that was never locked during the three days we stayed there. Room entry is by key and not computerized key cards. There is no elevator and we were on the second floor.

The furnishings were charming and I liked the beds, a bit soft for my taste but others with me thought they were fine. The carpet throughout the hotel is in need of replacement; it is a blue-grey color with stained and worn areas. I can't tell you if it was dirty as I wore flip-flops all the time in the room. I would not believe that it was as everything else in the room was clean. The wall covering was curled very slightly at the bottom in the bathroom next to the shower. Since I like blue and white, the color scheme of the room was pleasant. Bath amenities were Bath and Body Works products and a soap with the hotel's own logo. The towels were thick and absorbent. The biggest complaint I had was the variable water temperature. The shower would start out fine and about five minutes into it, it would become lukewarm to cold and after a few minutes, it would be fine again. I attributed it to the aging building's un or under insulated pipes. The individual wall unit heating/cooling system is a bit noisy but would be OK for those who like "white noise". There weren't enough guests to be able to discern if this is a quiet hotel. We would usually see about 6-8 others during breakfast.

The continental breakfast was rather standard (yogurt, bread, fruit, eggs, beverages). They did have real boiled eggs that were warm if you arrived early. Bagels and bread for toast were of a better quality (not like Wonder bread). The woman preparing the breakfast couldn't have been nicer. There were bowls of fresh fruit in the lobby and the breakfast area which I thought was a nice touch.

Their book keeping left something to be desired. I had booked with one of the travel websites and they had me scheduled a day earlier than I was supposed to arrive. I quickly pointed out to the woman who checked me in that I was NOT a no-show and backed it up with my reservation print-out. She was very pleasant about the entire thing. Upon checking out, a similar problem occurred but was quickly and pleasantly resolved. (I have yet to get my credit card bill so I may have to update this post.)

I'd say that the strongest points for this inn are the pleasant staff and the ambiance created by the furnishings (a Colonial feel). It was a decent value and close to where we needed to be in case of bad weather.

Also one of my teenagers tried to charge something while using what she thought was the hotel's wifi. When she tried to complete the purchase, it would not go through. I was reading and had not been paying attention to what she was doing. When I realized that she was not on the hotel's wifi, we called for the password and account information but I would not let her purchase anything as I think it's dangerous to do from a non-home internet connection. Two days later my credit card company called to alert me about a fraudulent charge on my card. I'm not computer savy enough to know if, but I don't believe that this is the hotel's problem.

The quasi-room service (with limited hours coinciding with the resturant hours of operation for lunch and dinner) is from the Zagat-rated Italian resturant next door. (The meal we had there was good.)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Farmington Inn? Share your experiences!