“Excellent downtown Fairfield choice!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Excellent downtown Fairfield choice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Pleasant atmosphere, excellent food, attentive staff, nice outdoor dining area.
The food is consistantly good at OPT; well prepared and srved by a knowledgeable staff - never had a bad or even OK meal!
The grand seafood raw plate is to die for.
The only possible downside is that it's sometime tough to find a parking place - unless the bank across the street is closed!

Visited October 2013

Fairfield, Connecticut
“Delicious food and great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had a very enjoyable dinner. We ordered from the Restaurant Week menu-$30 per person. I ordered salad, salmon with asparagus and cauliflower, and the sorbet trio. Everything was freshly prepared and tasty. My husband had clam chowder, herb roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and mushrooms,, and NY cheesecake. H enjoyed his as well. In addition we had excellent service.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Grove City, Pennsylvania
“Outstanding menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We were recently in Fairfield and searching for a restaurant for a late night summer---by good luck discovered the Old Post Tavern. We had outstanding service, delicious food (everyone ate every bite of food---nothing left!) excellent desserts and a lovely atmosphere. If ever in Fairfield again---we will be sure to stop in for another delicious meal. Kudos to the chef, the owners and the servers.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Westport, Connecticut
“One of our "go to" places”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I started going to the Old Post Tavern when I decided to have my milestone birthday party in their private room upstairs. That party, over a year ago, was a wonderful experience, and even though the staff seems to have changed almost completely, we still find the same friendly, accommodating service, and tasty food. We like sitting in the bar and go specifically because they often have live music - everything from a full band, to two people playing acoustic sets. Any place that regularly supports musicians gets my vote! The bistro menu works for us, since we usually come in the middle of the week. The Caesar salad is crisp and flavorful, with large shavings of parmesan cheese and just the right amount of dressing. The crab cakes are not too bready, and are served with a very flavorful pepper sauce. The mussels are great - an appetizer portion is enough for dinner for me, with a wonderful broth. The pasta, burgers, fish entrees - we have found to be fresh and well prepared. We have also been enjoying the raw bar selections - oysters and clams, which have again, always been fresh and tasty. We have always found the service to be friendly and helpful, and of course, we keep coming for the live music.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Happy hour, not so happy!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My experience started off great as I am visiting my sister in Fairfield, CT. We stopped in to meet a friend for happy hour, 2 for 1 I guess it is.. Unfortunately we did get there maybe 30 minutes before happy hour was ending. Needless to say we had our first drink and as 6 o'clock was approaching the nice bartender came over and said do you want the next round or a drink chip? We opted for the drink chip since we weren't finished with our beers. What wasn't stated by the bartender is that you can apparently only use the drink chip between 3-6pm. This is where things went a little sour as we tried to get our next drink with the chip. The bartender said we couldn't use the chip I was a little disappointed in hearing this cause being from out of town I would have taken the drink if this was fully explained. To make matters worse we asked to speak with the unhelpful manager who stated that's there policy and its posted. I would like to know where it's posted cause I didn't see anything that stated drink chips can only be used during 3-6pm. Our friend that we met up with went over to speak with the manager on the side and he continued to say it was policy and he didn't care if we ever came back to the restaurant. I could not believe this when she came back to the table. A suggestion if you want to stay in business and have a job, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! As patrons come in you should be doing your best to have people want to come back word of mouth is what's its all about. I was very disturbed by this experience because I come from the tourist city if Fort Lauderdale, FL we would never treat our visitors this way. To make matters worse my husband is a Partner at a restaurant down South so it's not like I don't know the business. I can only hope that this GM or owner would want to know how his employees are running his business. Realistically the only problem was is that the bartender never stated that we couldn't use the drink chips after 3-6pm and the manager could have cared less about this situation. In most bars drink chips are used to help the bartender remember you have another drink coming. On another note we were drinking draft beer, not top shelf liquor. So I can only hope that the next visitor that comes in doesn't have this experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere