“Worst meal I ever ate!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 16 Restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: American, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Description: Located in the “storybook” village of Essex mere steps from the Connecticut River, this 1776 landmark offers three distinct dining experiences. “Historic Dining” is offered in four handsome rooms - The Covered Bridge, The Gun Room, The Library and The Essex Room – where a renowned maritime art collection fills the walls. The Inn’s New England heritage and connection with the sea is apparent in the classic seasonal cuisine offered; diners may enjoy a more contemporary culinary experience in the stunning wine bar featuring tapas-style dining and an extensive selection of wines by the glass; tavern fare is offered in the atmospheric, award-winning Tap Room where lively music rings out nightly. Patio dining is an option May through October, weather permitting. Lunch and dinner served daily, Hunt Breakfast on Sunday.
connecticut
“Worst meal I ever ate!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

I ate at the restaurant and I have to admit it was the worst meal I have ever had! My salad had so much vinegar on it I couldn't eat it. I ordered the Venison pot pie ($29) - It was Alpo in a bowl with an awful moist crust - the crust also was only on the top of the pot pie. The pieces of venison were too big and very tough. The vegs in it seemed like they were the frozen type - yuck! THEN when I thought they couldn't screw up the deserts, I ordered molten chocolate cake with ice cream - I was SHOCKED to say the least when the smallest piece of "cake" came with, I swear, a teaspoon of ice cream next to it - it also was unsatisfying. Anyone looking for a spot to make some money in Essex, please open a restaurant, because the "Griz" (for grizzle!) has a monopoly and is getting away making a ton of money for nothing!!!! It also looked dirty in the place - where's Chef Ramsey?

laguna hills,ca
“boring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

I guess I am naive but I expected something more akin to a New England type cuisine or better yet something I could have imagined served in the Inn's past.
But much to my dismay the menu read like any menu in 2007 from connecticut to california.
Frankly,I have no recollection of what quality the food was...it was that boring.

Milford, CT
“New Remodeled Wine Bar is amazing!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

The newly remodeled Wine Bar at the Griswold Inn is amazing. The woodwork of the entire place is beautiful and hand made. The service was prompt and courteous - we had a party of six people. We ordered every "small plate-Tapas" plus a fondue. Everthing was exquiste. At the wine bar, they also offer "Flights of Wine"- that's 3 samples of different wines (about 1/3 of a wine glass full). We went to celebrate my brother's engagement with my other siblings. It was quiet, intimate, and fun. The ambience really added to the night and if you want you can walk over 2 rooms to the old pub that's more in line with the historical feel of the Griswold Inn. Would Recommend. Our age group was 27-37.

Englewood, Florida
“Don't go if you expect a meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

Went to the Griswold Inn Restaurant tonite with my parents for their 65th wedding anniversary. I remember it had a great reputation at one time and was a quaint, pretty restaurant at the shore with good seafood. To my dismay, their "meals" were more like appetizers....with no potatoes, no rice, no bread.....they were just food morsels in an attractive presentation....But really......for an entree...called Crab,Crab, Crab...I received one Crab Rangoon (yes, one), one half-size crab cake with a tasteless accompaniment they called mango salsa, and a few greens with some lonely crabmeat on top....and i do mean small amounts. ( for $16). I am not a big eater by anyones standards, but this was ridiculous. My husband ordered two small plates (instead of one regular plate which I had) and he received 3 small scallops (not the large ones, the small ones) in gorgonzola cheese, which was tasty, and 3 pieces of chicken on skewers, over a bed of greens. That was his meal. I am not saying that what we tasted was not tasty...some of it was....and the presentation was pretty, but really..........they can hardly call this an entree...a meal....we even had to ask if they had any bread......and then the waiter brought us some dinner rolls...i am left wondering if this restaurant is just a place to come to for a drink, conversation and a bite...(and i do mean " a bite" or 2)...but not for dinner.

Alpharetta, Georgia
“Charming Place to stay, eat and shop!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2005

I grew up 15 minutes from Essex in Killingworth CT and have eaten and stayed at the Gris many times. We have always enjoyed our meals here - the food has always been excellent. When we're in town we often go to the Gris for a cocktail. There's always a crowd and a great piano player (my old HS band teacher used to play there!) in the bar area - the atmosphere is comfy and charming and the Inn is filled with history. It's such a great place to go for out of towners. They also have a great brunch there but in all honesty the best brunch you can get in the area is at The Water's Edge Resort on Sunday (but for a hefty price tag). Still, the Gris is pretty tasty and Essex is the most beautiful charming town. The streets are lined with shops there all within walking distance of the Gris and they have the most beautiful homes along the CT river - it's a great scenic drive.

The Inn part of the gris is also quaint and charming. It's a VERY old building so expect that the floors have settled and might lean a bit and the rooms are smaller in size but if your looking for old historical charm - you've got the place!

We've always enjoyed our stays and the food here and would recommend the inn to anyone visiting CT as it's historical landmark along the shoreline towns.