“Average food, Unbelievably Poor Attitude” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 16 Restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: American, Seafood
CT
“Average food, Unbelievably Poor Attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

It is one of only two restaurants on Main St. I, as well as my family have been going there for sometime. Recently they have hired a male waiter who is rude and insulting. The food isn't good enough to put up with his attitude. After asked where my grilled cheese was after having watched 4 other tables seated after me served, I was told it was in the kitchen and would be out when it was done. This was said in an insulting manner to the point he was lucky I was with my father. I will write this on every review board out there and as a local, I recommend The Griswold Inn if you want friendly service and great atmosphere. Don't waste your money here. The only reason I am giving one star is because there is no 0!

Doha, Qatar
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2007

I went out for dinner to the Black Seal on April 4th. The Prime-Rib steak was excellent and my wife really did enjoy her salad. The service quality is average. - Nice place for casual dining.

Taiyuan, China
“Small, casual place with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

The Black Seal is a very casual restaurant. It is very small, and tables are close together. The food is very good and prices reasonable. The decor has not changed in about twenty years, and I still remember loving their BLT and french onion soup (still on the menu) as a child. Service is friendly, unobtrusive and efficient--in part because adequate staff were working.

The menu is not too large and includes local seafood. In my opinion, the Rhode Island clam cowder is to die for (although people debate what RI chowder is, this is clear broth and full of big chunks of clam and potatoes. Truly exceptional.) The hamburgers are also superb. We choose special of the day pasta and a fish sandwich. Both very nice.

Didn't have salad, but those on other tables looked very nice.

If you are not expecting anything fancy, you will not be disappointed!