“Not Bad. Would Stay Here Again.” 3 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Hazard Ave., Enfield, CT 06082   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Enfield
Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
“Not Bad. Would Stay Here Again.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

The front desk agent is very friendly and willing to help. No problems. The room is clean smelling and very clean. Just two problems. Beds feel like they need new mattresses. Laying on them I could almost feel the box spring slats. Second, they need to get a better laundry service. The towels looked like they needed a good shot of chlorine bleach. Would I stay here again? Yes. Can't beat the price and everyone is entitled to a second chance,

Room Tip: They have rooms for handicapped. Not bad.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Marion, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is an older hotel, but I found it well kept and without obvious maintenance issues. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Laminate flooring seems to be an emerging "thing" in some hotel chains, and the effect here was pleasant. No having to wonder if creepy things lurked in stained carpeting while going barefoot from bed to bath.
The location is convenient to everything with the property almost on an interstate access ramp. I was surprised that this did not seem to create noise issues.
On the downside, there is no breakfast on-site. Also, while wi-fi is offered and free, there is no computer in the lobby or a business center of any kind. Have your laptop or smartphone or be out of the loop.

Room Tip: Try to stay close to the office. This will help with any possible highway noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

very nice rooms staff is very helpful and polite and a very good value for the price located in very good place close to restarants mall and all sorts of shopping I found a very nice sports bar that's a few mins walk away I would stay here agian

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Enfield, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

The strength of this Red Roof Inn is its front desk staff, as I am most familiar with the afternoon/night shift I cannot credibly assess the performance of RG. However, Beth, Chhaya and Monique have always been friendly, concerned with my "guest experience", and welcoming to me regardless of the maelstrom of problems the front desk is fielding at any given time. All three of these women deserve a large raise and they are the predominate reason I continue to use the Red Roof Inn, #105, Enfield CT as my primary hotel while in CT. In most other areas this hotel is deficient (and complaints long standing, 6 months or more): the soap they use on the floors and tub leaves a very sticky residue (slippery when wet), replenishment of the soap and shampoo runs at about 75% of the time per stay, for Redicard members no complimentary water is provided and USA today is substituted but no one tells you of this substitution, the TV is still programmed to the analog channels though digital service is available (depending if your remote came with the TV or is a replacement) so the TV picture is significantly degraded (to the point of illegibility) for the over the air channels and sometimes the premium channel (HBO), my IPad finds the high speed internet to be sporadic (this is unique to this hotel), I have stayed in rooms where the lock does not work, the springs in the box spring were showing, the blanket on my bed had cigarette holes burned in it (despite being non-smoking), toilet handle was broken, channel guides are pertpetually out of date after the switch of cable provider (the old channel guides are still in the room in a nice plastic holder, while the new channel guide is printed on a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper that must be picked up at the front desk for each visit). In short, it seems to me that the front desk staff is picking up the slack for an owner who seems to be more interested profit than providing a anything more than a marginally satisfactory guest experience. The front desk staff bears the brunt of this laissez-faire attitude of ownership from disgruntled guests. That's why they deserve a raise.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

my partner and i had an assignment in east longmeadow ma on wed , the day after we arrived
there was to be a very bad snow storm on thursday and the front desk clerk said she would hold the room if we ran into trouble going home
very considerate of her to offer
she also suggestted several places to dine
no restaurant in this inn
i would stay at the red roof in again

Room Tip: a south side room is quieter
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Enfield, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

This hotel is absolutely fantastic; I hope the experience that lead me to rate them so low overall is unique to me and nothing you will have to experience.

I have been staying here for a few months due to an unfortunate, very unexpected event. The majority of the staff is incredibly sweet, polite and go well above and beyond to make sure my needs are met quickly and I am happy with my stay. I thought after months of being here I would get to see the "real" people come out under their forced customer service smile, but no, the smile is legitimate as well as their kindness. I do have to say that after months of being treated well there has been a shift in the last few weeks.

For some backstreet: The manager Beth (who is by far one of the best customer service workers I have ever met anywhere, along with Monique) asked me extremely politely if I had pets in my room because they had received a complaint that there were loud pets in here. I quickly explained I do not, but I hear them often and the staff can come check my room now or at anyt ime, an offer which Beth declined and nothing more was said about the mystery barking.

I also think it's evident to the staff I am having financial struggles and they are also aware my husband that was here with me these last few months was put in jail a month ago so the financial stress got much worse overnight. The staff, with the permission of the manager who has always been wonderful to me, would let me pay for the day sometimes very late at night with no complaint, just a very polite inquiry into when I thought I could pay. Right after the pet issue was raised I failed to pay for the day and did not pay until the following day at which point I paid for the current and previous day.

So which one of those issues, or if it was another one entirely, prompted the change I won't know.

So why my review is poor: Since the time both events occured I don't get greeted like I used to, the staff doesn't smile or ask about my well-being like they used to, and every single day without fail I either get an aggressive knock at the door or a call to my room demanding that I pay by 3pm or leave. I often get multiple knocks and calls and some of the statements are delivered rather neutral while a few have been outright nasty from a particular housekeeper. I am living with severe, debilitating depression and now a lot of extra stress and every single day after those interactions I cry and am very upset.

The staff is one of the best I have ever dealt with, and everyone here busts there butts to care for this property. After the change I no longer want to be here but the only places this cheap in the area are dumps. I have given them over $8,000 in the few months I have been here and it's the dead winter season and now I get treated like they really want me out. I am a rewards customer though and earn free nights frequently and they are a huge help that I don't want to give up.

The staff here is the only human interaction I get most days and to be treated like I am unwanted hurts deeply. I have given them a lot of money, never given them problems and I'm staying here so they clearly know how to find me if I don't pay so I don't understand why it's an issue for them in the first place. If I was a business owner I would not complain about a customer like me paying late in the day and I would honestly let it go if they paid a day or two late every now and then!!! Let's assume I didn't pay for two days, they finally question me about it and I say I will be right down to pay then I hurriedly pack and drive off into the night. Did those 2 days really hurt them? Would that be a bigger loss than if I left now because I'm tired of people being rude to me? No. From a business standpoint it is far more lucrative to allow me to pay late, but retain me as a happy customer who stays a few more months in a room that would otherwise have been empty. So as a compassionate human being and a business owner, hounding me to pay isn't the best option. On top of that, they know exactly where to find me and history has already shown I am reliable and deserving of their trust to pay late, but ultimately, pay!!

I'm just so hurt and think it's uncalled for. They also just upped my daily rate by $9 a night and claimed it is out of their hands and in a company decision in preparation for the much busier spring season, but it's the middle of February, so I find that questionable.

As I write this I think it's clear they are trying to make me leave and I'm guessing that would be best, but it will result in me compromising already bad finances or the quality of my accommodations, neither something I deserve!

The rooms are very spacious, and very clean and are great for the price. They recently switched from dish to cable so there are many channels, all with crystal clear images unlike before.

I guess to sum it up this is a great place with great service and nice rooms for the price, but do not piss the manager off or your stay becomes very unhappy very quickly.

I wrote a glowing review for them with 5 stars about a month ago, but my internet wouldn't cooperate so I gave up and thought it was finally time to get it done. So they earned and did deserve 5 stars, but I have clearly upset someone and since they seem to want me out there's no way I could score them that high at this point.

Ultimately I am hurt and disheartened at a time when I'm short on kind treatment and need it more than ever. I find this very unnecessary and truthfully, unfortunate.

• Stayed February 2014
Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

this past saturday i stayed in enfield at the red roof inn. two of the workers,beth and kendra were delightful to talk to. very friendly and informative. the room was clean,tv work and the bed was very comfortable. the shower water was very hot-just the way i like it. i find that the red roof inns seem to be the most consistent hotels-very reasonable prices and comfortable convenient stay. I haven't been to a bad one yet.

Room Tip: i stayed on the ground floor-chipoties was in walking distance and the food was delicious.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to Red Roof Inn? Share your experiences!