“Sunday Brunch / Great” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Continental
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Route 5
Description: Nutmeg is dining at its best, in a perfect setting. We feature continental foods such as Rack of Lamb, Veal Oscar, Steaks, Chops, Seafood and many other wonderful dishes. Please come in and visit us.
Tennessee
“Sunday Brunch / Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We had a family gathering and this place is ready and able to handle good sized groups with an excellent buffet and bruch. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Well worth a visit

Visited May 2012

South Windsor, Connecticut, USA
“Excellent Mother's Day Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

What a wonderful spread! The buffet was groaning with flavorful choices...a little pricey, but it was worth it. The ambience is wonderrful. We left there as very happy diners...

• Visited May 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
CT
“uh oh”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

It's high quality menu items are not matched by the chef's skills. Started with escargot and oysters rockefeller. The escargot was over cooked and the oysters, although cooked perfectly had a bread stuffing that was saturated with oil. Our entrees were the veal oscar and shrimp scampi. The shrimp was super quality, but flavors were overpowered by fresh herbs and there was no hint of garlic. If you like to taste nothing but thyme and rosemary, you may have liked it. For me, it killed the wonderfully clean and large shrimp on the plate. The veal ocsar had great lobster, but the veal was served not with some sauce, but in a soup. A shame, as the veal was tender and perfectly cut. the chef is overthinking the ingredients and making the accompanyments overpowering. Not to mention the asparagus on my plate had been steamed to a mushy consistency. Don't spend your money here, even if you have the coupons. Maybe their buffett would be better. Afterall they do have a bereavement menu on their website... UGH.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
East Windsor, CT
“Had my wedding here, and it was excellent :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

We have been to the Nutmeg a couple times for lunch/dinner, and it's pricey but good. We chose it for our wedding because of the convenience and the coziness of the place. The same goes for my wedding - it was pricey, but it was worth every penny to Scott and I.

The Nutmeg Restaurant is very quaint - 'New Englandy' is the term I use most often to describe it. My family is from everywhere but Connecticut, so I thought that kind of charm would be a lovely element to bring to the wedding. Our ceremony and reception were held there. Everyone loved it - people described the whole thing as "precious," "one of the most personal weddings they've been to" and "the nicest ceremony (not at a church)".

People raved about the food! Get the prime rib - it's worth the extra price pp. Unfortunately, I only had three bites of mine - no fault to the Nutmeg - what a busy night! They gave us a bottle of each kind of wine they served that evening, with the Nutmeg label - a nice memento.

People also loved the dance floor, because they were on it the whole night. I must also give credit to my DJ here :)

Rosemarie was nice. I was a little intimidated by her at first (she's got a wedding planner air about her, and I didn't know much about weddings), but she was a fantastic go-to person. She also put up with my manic, frantic questions as the day came closer. I came to really rely on and appreciate Rosemarie's expertise. Thank you!!!!

Connie was Scott and my helper for the wedding, and she was wonderful. Everyone liked the service, but at the end of the night, they close down right on time. One of the helpers started throwing everything out on the tables (he seemed new), but he was stopped by other employees when he threw out the restaurant's own vases.

One of the only downsides to the place is that there is a trailer park across the street. Once people are inside, it's fine, but several of my family members mentioned it. They never brought it up again after the great night they had at the Nutmeg, though.

Overall, we were really happy with everything, and we would recommend it for a nice dinner or a big event (of up to 125 people). The cost pp below is for dinner, not the wedding cost. Cheers!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York State
“Outstanding Meals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

While I am not in the food business, I have dined at numerous restaurants throughout this country and Europe. I can honestly say I could rate the Nutmeg in the top 10.

My wife and I dined there last evening and the food was excellent. We started with a scallop casino appitizer. Homemade on a large scallop shell, the scallop and stuffing were very tasty and fresh.

My wife had a filet mignon which could be cut with a fork. I can agree with one of the reviewers of this restaurant that the bernaise sauce was bland and left much to be desired. My pork chops with a bourbon sauce were also very good. Both of our entrees came with seasonal vegetables which were extremely fresh. The smashed potatoes were as good as I have had anywhere.

Although I am not a big fan of bread pudding, we ordered one to share and it was outstanding. Homemade and fresh.

The waitstaff were very attentive and the owners showed great concern that everything was to our satisfaction. It was!!

Our bill after frequent diner discount, tax and 20% tip was $103.00. This included the above, plus two glasses of house wine and two cocktails.

I live approximately two hours from the Nutmeg, however frequent the restaurant every chance I get. OUTSTANDING!!