“not very consistent” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
“not very consistent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I wrote the glowing review above, about a Sunday night dinner here. It was flawless, fresh, etc. Sadly, we went back a few weeks later, for the same deal on a Wednesday night. It was only OK. I ordered the same entree, as I had loved it so, the first time: Clams in a red linguine sauce. I am something of a 'foodie', and admit I am discerning about food. To be honest, I felt like I was eating microwaved leftovers; somewhat 'gluey', not fresh-tasting at all. It was obvious that it had not been made to order. It was very disappointing, to say the least, because the first time, it was fresh perfection, and obviously prepared at the time I ordered it. I suspect that Fucci and Bucci were not in the house that night, as I saw a young man come out and talk to some people at a table, and he was dressed as if he might be the chef. Whatever, we will probably try it again, and that will be a final decisionmaker for us.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

East Haven
“Wonderful Italian and seafood!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The restaurant has been renovated after being decimated by Tropical Storm Irene and is on a street that dead-ends at a gated condo community. The parking lot is on the left, and the Long Island Sound is on the right. Thankfully, they didn't change the food during the renovation!. My husband had the penne arrabiata, and I ordered the shrimp over angelhair pasta, and requested the same sauce. The sauce is a marinara made with ground sirloin, onion, hot cherry peppers and basil, terrific over any pasta or protein. They even made it extra spicy for my husband. Not on the menu, but they made it without question - garlic bread with mozzeralla. The crust on their homemade bread is crisp with just the right amount of garlic and oil. Everything was fresh and cooked perfectly, and there's a full bar available. In the dining room, try to get a table with a view of the water. In the summer, there's also an outdoor dining option, overlooking a salt marsh. For special events, check out the second floor space. Our server, Anthony, was attentive without being pushy. We'll be back soon for another wonderful meal.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
“absolutely excellent value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We went in on a Sunday, for their Wednesday/Sunday special: a real bargain for $15.95 per person. (Choice of soup or salad; entree; & dessert) We had seen the ad in the NH Register several times, and decided to find out what it was all about. We had also read that the restaurant was virtually destroyed by tropical storm 'Irene', and that they had taken the opprtunity to completely remodel it, so we were curious, and it is close to where we live..
It will be a new favorite of ours, as we loved the friendly service; food and the decor.
The house salad was super fresh, & delightful; my entree of Clams with Linguine was wonderful, and afforded me a tasty lunch the following day. My companion had salmon and loved it too. Dessert choices were rice pudding, and chocolate mousse. Both were wonderful, and we have every intention of going back regularly. We have nothing but good things to say about the Beachhead. I have read their regular menu online; it seems fabulous, and very reasonable, so we will go back soon!!
Sincerely, Patricia A. Garcia

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
CT
“Nice & Cute Cozy beach restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I went with my husband, I have no idea the restaurant was open or I had a nice beach rest 4 blocks from my house! Anyways, the food was good- nothing to wow about, however it seems the prices were too high for the quality, area and type of restaurant. They do offer some specials on weekdays, which the price was good. Rest. is cozy & cute, is across from the beach, it would of be nicer if it was next to it, but if they sit you on a table that will have a partial view to the water will be good. Service was good, very attentive a courteous. I would recommended and perhaps return (only special weekdays) :)

• Visited August 2011