“Awesome alternative to going downtown for tapas!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
New Haven, CT
“Awesome alternative to going downtown for tapas!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We live on the New Haven/East Haven line, and even though it's only a few minutes away we just don't always feel like going into downtown New Haven for places like Barcelona or Ibiza (although I love those!) due to parking, etc. So we decided to check out Bistro Mediterranean, and were very pleasantly surprised at how great it was!

The tapas prices are similar to Barcelona but you get more food - you could easily be satisfied with 2 tapas for dinner rather than 3-4 at other places. We most recently had the grilled calamari (which was in this yummy lemony tomato sauce with lots of garlic and cannelini beans), pork medallions on crostini, the roasted beet salad w/goat cheese (yum!!!), and then we split the paella, also delicious. All that plus we shared a large glass of wine and our bill was around $45.. how can you go wrong?

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

New Haven, Connecticut
“rocky start, but overall great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Ate dinner here last night using a groupon promotion. At first, we were told since the groupon expired on Aug 1 (day of use) we would not be granted the full $50 but only what we paid for it, $25. We made quite a stink about this and once the owner caught wind of this he was very apologetic for the confusion and checked in with us numerous times during our delicious meal, even comping out dessert. The overall dining atmosphere and ambiance of the place is lovely and the bar seems like a great place to socialize over drinks. We got three small plates (gambas a la plancha, the goat cheese dish & the portabella mushroom salad) to start with and the seafood paella as an entree, WOW! Everything was delicious, freshly prepared, and unique tasting, the portions were also suitable for tapas style dining. For all the food and one cocktail each the bill was only $58! Definitely will be returning, the entire staff is wonderful and eager to please.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New Haven, Connecticut
“Did not live up to reputation...slow service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

Service was extremely slow spent over an hour and a half there. The waiter was slow to take our order and even slower bringing out the tapas. He was extremely apologetic and gave us a free dessert but unfortunately it wasn't good. The food just ok nothing spectacular. I expected a lot more. The atmosphere was relaxing inviting. I don't think we will ever return.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
West Hartford CT, USA
“Rainy day surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Found ourselves in the New Haven, Connecticut area and decided to have lunch. My wife recalled a positive NYT review of a tapas restaurant in East Haven. Her smart phone revealed it was close by. East Haven is about tem minutes from New Haven home of Yale and Ikea. The restaurant was tastefully decorated. Great service, fantastic food and reasonable prices. The dinning area was roomy and the acoustics were quiet (recent NYT article reported on deafening noise levels in certain Manhattan restaurants). They had great daily specials and since Long Island sound is a few blocks away, they have great seafood access. I usually skip deserts but Can not resist Flan, yum. To quote Arnold S., "I'll be back".

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Southbury Ct
“Out of our way but so worth it!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I saw this on Groupon and immediately checked out the reviews here to find them quite good. So even though a 40 minute drive I decided to buy the Groupon so we would have to try it out. We arrived for a late lunch on a beautiful Saturday. We had the restaurant to ourselves and found it to be both attractive and charming. Place is owned by three brothers from Ecuadour and they clearly all take great pride in the restaurant. Eldest brother is the chef and the other two serve and seem to keep busy prepping and cleaning the place to perfection. I do not eat a lot but wanted to try a lot. We started with a white gazpacho for me...a lovely blend of cucumbers,grapes, peppers. It was superb while my husband had the mussels..fresh,succulent. I doggie bagged some of my soup so I could keep sampling.Next we shared the baked beet, goat cheese salad which was quite good. I packed some of that up too. We also shared a bay scallop appetizer with beans etc. while I think they do wondrous things with their sauces..the bay scallops were tasteless. I got the skirt steak for a main course served with potato and mixed summer vegetables. The steak was cooked perfectly medium rare. My husband had the fettuccine with seafood which he loved and devoured. Me?...I made another doggie bag as I barely made a dent on my plate. We had no room left for dessert but they sure sounded delicious. Here are my overall impressions. Service was excellent and not overbearing. Staff clearly wanted to make sure we enjoyed the food they are clearly very proud of. Prices here offer an excellent value at lunch but dinner prices are very good also and there are many more choices for the later meal. We will definately return and I have already recommended it to my daughter in New Jersey. When they visit we babysit and they have a date night. This place qualifies as a great date night place for an adventure in eating. My husband likes to eat he cleaned all his plates but he seldom raves about a restaurant. Not so here..he would love to go back and so do I!!! Give it a try ...it is so worth it!!!

• Visited July 2012