“Very acceptable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 East River Drive, East Hartford, CT 06108 (Formerly Hartford Plaza Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in East Hartford
Bismarck, North Dakota
“Very acceptable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We are finding more and more Holiday Inns seem to have it together. The past few, this one included, have nice properties, reasonable price, and no problems. We found the room clean, roomy, and a well stocked bathroom. Check in/out was without incident and the pool and exercise room were very acceptable. The only flaw I would find for this specific property is that it seems to be in the middle of nowhere thereby requiring you to drive a short to medium distance if you require a place to eat or shop. However, we did find it very convenient to access the downtown area. The big advantage here is that while you do need to drive a short distance, crossing a bridge, to get to the downtown area; you save considerable money over the other hotels in the downtown area. Well worth the short trip!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Johan L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you so much for your review and rating of our hotel. We are delighted you had a great stay and we appreciate your comments!

Johan Liebenberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I came in and immediately loved the place. The woman at front desk was very friendly, but when I said I wanted to extend my stay, she said I may want to check and see if something was going to be available Friday and because of a wedding party booking the hotel. I shrugged it off and continued to my room.
The doors were kind of tricky, mine got stuck a few times because it wasnt properly leveled and seemed to lean against the area its supposed to close around. I had to make sure the door would at least slam shut, which I know annoyed my neighbors, whose door was inches away from mine.
When I went out to venture downtown a young man and woman were sitting outside of a room near mine in the hallway, which was awkward as, they were talking to a woman who was leaning out of the room they were sitting near and I found that odd. By the time I returned they were gone. It's like, if you know the person, why not go into the room?
There is a small shop with a microwave and an ATM, and vending machines on each floor.
I extended my stay for another night because I do like this neighborhood and the walk across Founders Bridge is just amazing. I made a mistake and took the other bridge and it was terrible and full of graffiti. Either way you end up in Downtown and around the restaurants
(There are no signs near the bridges, if you plan on taking the bridge, or going for a walk, make a left out of the hotel go under the bridge and then up the stone stairs to the right.)

Otherwise this was a great stay and I hope to book this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
dweber2014, Manager at Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for your positive review of our property. We are looking into the concern you had with your door and will remedy the issue immediately. We look forward to seeing you again if your travels bring you into the Hartford area.

Regards, David Weber
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

This place did not only offer clean comfortable rooms, but, the resteraunt/bar experience was acceptional. Spearheaded by lead bartender Terry, the bar experience was second to none. Her outgoing demeanor, coupled with her in depth knowlege of the industry made her a top notch server/mixologist. I would recommend a trip to this bar to anyone, including locals looking for a friendly bar experience!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
dweber2014, Manager at Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Greetings Christian ,

Thank you for your kind review of our property. I will be sure to share your bar experience with Terry and more often than not she will remember your name and usually your choice beverage should your travels find you in our area. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we very much look forward to seeing you in the future.

David Weber
Hartford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Last night we had our Delegate Assembly at this hotel. The staff crushed the scene...they responded quickly to every request. Provided food for 60 people more than planned on with smiling faces and speedy responses. Other staff came in to help in the bar and all orders were met. As the event planner, I especially appreciated all their work.

Terrific! Thanks so much everyone for your professionalism and making our event a success. :)

Melissa B.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Johan L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Melissa,

We truly appreciate your kind comments! Thank you so much for your feedback and favorable rating.

We hope to see you again for your next event.

Northport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

I stayed here Saturday night, May 3, 2014 and would highly recommend it. The room and bathroom were very very clean, the free wi-fi was fast 1.8 mps, the king size bed was nice and firm and the variety, firm and soft, of pillows were great and everything was comfortable. The front service desk was very helpful and friendly. The parking was free and the lot was large.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Johan L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you very much for your positive review of our hotel. We hope to see you again soon.

New Providence, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Never stayed here before but we decided to break up our trip to Boston. We were pleasantly surprised. We arrived at night but it was a snap to get to from the highway. Everything looked pretty new and the room was very comfortable and clean. We were happy with everything and the price ($99) was nice too.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your positive review of our hotel. Many travelers comment on the accessibility of our location and how easy it is to get onto Route 2, I84 and I95 from our hotel.

We hope your travels bring you our way again soon.

Thanks again,

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

The hotel has no hot water.
The hot water did not work the night before and this morning was still out. And no refunds or discounts offered. Avoid the hotel. It is clean and nicely appointed but the absence of hot water and the poor response kills the quality,

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Paul,

I am so sorry that you were affected by our boiler breakdown last Wednesday, please accept my sincere apologies. I would greatly appreciate to make this right by you. Please feel free to contact me on my direct line at 860-528-2305.

Apologetically,

Johan Liebenberg

Been to Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area? Share your experiences!