“Didn't love it” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in East Hartford
USA
“Didn't love it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We stayed on our way to New England. Got in after midnight. Had to speak to the desk clerk through a glass.
There was a lamp in the room that was flickering more off than on. We joked that someone was warning us via Morse code. The manager attempted to fix it saying the plug was just loose but the lamp went right back to flickering after being "fixed".
Room was fairly plain with an odd layout. The closet/luggage space seemed inordinately large. The room otherwise seemed small with a table, full-sized bed, and TV.
The shower was narrow and difficult to turn in without striking the walls of the stall.
The place served it's purpose - just a quick way-stop. Otherwise, I could see this place being kind of depressing.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I booked this place based on some positive reviews and am very let down. The check in was quick and painless... well there's the good. The room is beyond tiny, (microtels are way bigger if that gives an idea) sucks for closterphobic people . They have very old tv's, bubbled wallpaper and carpet, and stained linens. The carpet (even though bubbled) seemed clean. To make things a bit worse, I had some strange and impossible to kill bug crawling on my leg (see pic). Odds are I wont come back unless absolutely no other options.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these East Hartford hotels

Northampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This isn't the prettiest hotel with the best amenities, but I knew that going in. It was a cheap option when I stayed in town overnight, exactly the way I expected. The room was clean, the staff was friendly; the only thing I was disappointed by was the "free breakfast", which consisted of orange juice and doughnuts. Not even toast?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ian G, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge - East Hartford, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Sylvie,

Many thanks for your review of Econo Lodge East Hartford. We are so glad the hear that you found the rooms clean and our staff friendly, and we thank you for staying with us!

All the best,
Naugatuck, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Had to spend a quick night in Hartford, and this was the most affordable combination of price and rating. It's a bit off the beaten path (which is less desirable) but not too remote. Check in was quick and pleasant. As with so many hotels nowadays, this one has no lift, and even with overnight luggage, a second floor was a mild challenge. A small fridge and/or microwave may have helped, but these were not to be expected at this star rating.

The bed was quite comfortable, but this comfort was markedly disturbed by a very loud air-conditioner unit (more possibly some defect rather than normal). The face basin was incredibly small; shaving or face-washing was not possible without a mess.

The breakfast was merely sweetbreads, coffee and juices - neither protein nor fruits included. The price, though not pricey could have been less, in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with other travelers on TripAdvisor. If you should happen to stay with us again, please feel free to request one of our room types that comes with a microwave and mini-fridge. They generally are available and are an excellent value. Thank you for staying with us, and please keep us in mind if you find yourself traveling through the Hartford area ever again!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I'm going to lead with the positives: the room was clean. And basically furnished. If I was aware of a microwave and fridge when I booked the room months in advance I had forgotten by the time we arrived--so these were pleasant surprises. There was also plenty of hot water. And the location was convenient to I-91. Within sight of exit ramp but the property is set back so there wasn't excessive highway noise. Also conveniently located near good food (try the NY Pizzeria a few blocks south on Main St.). The price was also amazing; room w king bed, five nights, for less than 300 including taxes. The less than wonderful aspects follow--just keep in mind that this is a budget level property so you have no reason to expect luxury. The room was on the small side so there was no arm chair (just room enough for 2 upholstered chairs and a smallish round cafe table. there was a largish walk in closet are without a door; unfortunately this cut into the space allocated to the tiny bathroom. Having lived in my share of small apartments the small size of the bathroom wasn't really an issue but I have never seen a bathtub/shower so small. Who knew they made apartment sized bathtubs? I estimate it was approx. 24" wide and 48" long which would make it ideal for a child or a young teenager but not really comfortable for fully grown adults. Here come minor annoyances that weren't deal breakers but were a constant reminder that this was a budget location. Upon arrival I noticed the toilet ran intermittently. I know the sound well, it is the sound an old-fashioned toilet makes when its flapper valve is no longer seating properly in the tank. It wasn't terribly loud and therefore didn't interfere with sleeping or TV viewing but was annoying. The week we stayed had unusual weather--sometimes requiring heat and other times A/C was called for. The heater/AC unit was effective but had a mind of its own as its control knob fell from heat to A/C at one point when no one was nearby. My biggest gripe was with the bedding. Yes, it was clean and bedbug free--so what more can you ask for in a budget motel? Well, the king size bed was incredibly soft without almost any support. Yes, I know everyone has different preferences along the mattress softness/firmness continuim. We both happen to prefer firmer mattresses so it was an adjustment for us to make over five nights. However, a major annoyance is that the bed was made only with flat sheets which, by the way, were too small. We're talking about a a king sized bed not only having a flat sheet substituted for what you would expect to be a fitted sheet--but the flat sheet was too small! I'm guessing it was a queen size flat sheet as there was perhaps an inch of overhang which means at most there was an inch of sheet available to tuck under the mattress. Try and imagine how twisted and undone the bottom sheet became during the night as two adults tried to sleep. It didn't help that the underlying mattress pad was, I kid you not, twin size. The result is that every morning one of us woke up wearing the bottom flat sheet as if it were a sari. The bottom line is that the room was clean, conveniently located and comfortable enough for us to get 5 nights of sleep. Next year, however, I think we'll scrimp elsewhere so that we can upgrade to a motel that uses fitted sheets.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Terry,

Thank you for your detailed feedback from your stay at Econo Lodge East Hartford. We are pleased that you found our location to be convenient (close to dining options and offering easy access to the highway). Thank you for keeping in mind the great value that we offer here; it would be our pleasure to serve you again the next time you travel to the area!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

i looked this hotel by using trip advisory, i was a bit confused to have there because of the reviews i had seen here before getting the room. i had to see someone at Pratt & Whitny and it was the closest place to say. upon arrival ,it looks ok more than average . i already had reservation , so i did not have any problem to check inn. the attendant was very polite and nice. i requested him to give me a nice room, so i got some good one. the room was good, it was properly cleaned and managed very well. T.V was old fashion but cable was too good to complain , more than 60 channels. internet was above the expectation. breakfast was not that good but if compare to the price i feel happy , i had no hard time, no noise at all either. i think , if you wanna a cheap room you have to be a little bit compromised . i would suggest you to go there one time if you gotta stay at there ,its a good place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Nunez,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to hear that Econo Lodge East Hartford suited your needs as a great value for an overnight stay close to Pratt & Whitney. We hope to see you again in the future!

Monroe, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Other negative reviews nearly scared me off, but I was pleasantly surprised for the most part.

Room was spacious A
Cleanliness was typical B-
TV, fridge, microwave worked A
Easy chair besides two chairs at table was a bonus A
Bedding deficiencies noted in other reviews C
Bathroom functional, hot water adequate B+
Room heating was not too effective C-
Noise: highway- none, overhead tenant (despite 10% occupancy rate, there was a tenant overhead, whom I heard stomping around from time to time) B-
Breakfast - uninspired. OJ, donuts, coffee C-
Staff - very little interaction, but polite & efficient A
Ice machine only in lobby, bit of a hike C
Proximity to bus stop A+
Neighborhood: working class, some signs of decline, but I felt safe C
You're here for the rate. Don't expect too much. But I've seen much worse for more money. I was much more comfortable at night knowing what I saved on lodging and downtown parking by staying here and riding the bus in to town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rich,

We greatly appreciate your detailed feedback regarding your stay at Econo Lodge East Hartford. Thank you for mentioning the great value that we offer in such close proximity to downtown Hartford, and the convenience of the nearby bus stop! Please keep us in mind the next time you return to the greater Hartford area.

Econo Lodge East Hartford

Been to Econo Lodge - East Hartford? Share your experiences!