“Great campground, friendly staff!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nelson's Family Campground

Nelson's Family Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Hampton
Nelson's Family Campground
You added Nelson's Family Campground to your Saves list
71 Mott Hill Road, East Hampton, CT   |
Murrells Inlet
“Great campground, friendly staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in our travel trailer. This was a great campground and the staff was very friendly. Want to especially thank Kathy who worked in the front office and was absolutely fantastic to deal with - she is a 'star' employee for these guys for sure!!! The place reminded me of the type of campground I use to stay in as a child - fun, great rec. hall, plenty of activities and gatherings, etc. Seemed to have plenty of activities for the kids and adults alike, very clean environment and outbuildings and yummy food at the snack bar. I would definitely stay here again. I will say I was nervous about booking here because of the reviews I was able to find - they seemed negative - but thank goodness I was able to figure out that they were just from some disgruntled 'seasonal' campers who seemed to have 'ganged up' on management for their own 'cause'. Pretty sad that something like that would happen to a family campground that has been around for so many years - well PLEASE don't let a few 'bad apple's' sway you! This place was absolutely wonderful, and again I would recommend it in a heartbeat. Hope to get back again that way soon - and hope to see you again soon Kathy you were a great welcoming 'concierge' after a long trip from South Carolina and a great host while we there!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Windsor Locks, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have camped at our share of Family and Resort campgrounds in the last 10 years! This one is not a resort but is a solid old fashioned campground for families and friends. There is a so-so store but it has ice cream and candy for the kids! The pool is decent and they have a steady line-up of kid and family activities on the weekends. I have heard some of the negative feedback about the owners but it seems like they are working on changing their image. The staff is friendly and accommodating, willing to work with you on site changes,etc! Overall...a good little campground!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New Britain, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is the worst place to camp. They are money hungry, greedy people who nickel and dime their campers,to death. They will squeeze every penny they can from you, with nothing in return. They will lie to you with a straight face. Both Michelle and Glen should use some of the money they take from campers to get some people skill classes for,themselves. The only pool there is dirty....and the pond is disgusting. Certainly is not the same place that Nelson and his wife ran many years ago. They knew how to treat people. These 2 need some lessons in courtesy. I will never go back there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Farmington, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is our 2nd year seasonal and last year was fine, however I have just recently experienced the wrath of Michelle. I have been told by several seasonal campers that she is rude and treated her customers horrible but, I did not believe it! Well...it is true!!! She has no customer service and I personally cannot wait to sell our camper and leave that campground. I am a mature adult, and believe that I should be treated with respect, and not like a child..Michelle speaks to people like she would her children!!! I am thinking she needs customer service training. Or, maybe she needs to stop working there?? Find a job where she is not dealing with people!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I first started camping at Nelson's 6 years ago at the suggestion of a friend. We absolutely LOVED being seasonal.. As it gave us a relaxing and fun place to get away too!! Michelle & Glenn (the owners) are kind, caring, very involved in all aspects of the campground! The staff was always helpful and friendly!! My children always look forward to going camping and I love that they are running around outdoors and not in front of the tv or computer!! If you follow the rules and take advantage of all Nelson's has to offer you will have the time of your life!!

• Stayed May 2013
Milford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I am a sesonal camper and have been for the last 10 years. Loved it, loved it, loved it but I don't love it now. Something has to give. I am a pond person and use to swim daily in the pond but you wouldn't catch me dead in that pond this year. It's disgusting and nasty!! If things don't change for next year you will see the water and enviromental people there weekly. The pond stinks, muck is taking over even in the so called sandy area, overgrown weeds that are right on the beach and grass that needs to be cut so kids can swin. I have never had a probelm with Michele or Glen, they have been nothing but courteous to us. There are many more activites that can be done for the kids. I camped at Moose Meadows for 17 years when my kids were young and I never saw them, they were constantly entertained. The pond needs some serious care. We finally got the fountain back after many excuses. I went right to Nelson and the next week it was in. Wee need a DOCK or a floating device desperately. The kids have no where else to swim except that pool which is way over crowded. Kids need the pond. There should be structured games in the pond to keep them busy and entertained. I think Michele and Glen are missing the boat when it comes to this gold mine of a pond. Kids need to be kids and by letting them splash around and hang with their friends keeps them out of trouble. The crap floating on top of the pond can be easlily removed but it's not. No one cleans the beach. I use to take the grand kids there all the time but not anymore as there is more geese poop etc. on the beach if you want to call it a beach. You can't even let kids play in the sand it's so gross. C'mon Nelson,s you have a fantastic place that is quickly going down hill. Hire some people to clean the beach every day, not justWoody picking up cans. The geese are a huge problem but that's another story for another day. Many other seasonal have spoken to me about thier dissappointment in the upkeep of the campground. If things don't improve for 2013, I know of 11 families that will be heading out. Please, please do something??

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I have been going to this campground for about 3years now, last year we finally went seasonal thought it was going to be great turned out to be the worst camping as a seasonal seems like the first year you are there as a seasonal you get picked on and scolded like you are a child. they don't know how to talk to the customers that are the ones that bring them their money,but of that is all they care about is the money not how they treat their seasonals, they charge an unreasonable amount for your electric bill every month way more then the electric company charges for my electricity at home !If things don't change with the attitudes from the owners MIchele and Glenn alot of people i know who are seasonals are thinking of going elsewhere us all knowing that your gonna find rudeness everywhere you go but not as rude as these people . They haven't had any new activities for the last 2years the kids are bored and they get in trouble But maybe thats what Michelle wants is to yell at them i think yelling at kids and adults gives her some type of satisfaction,who knows. All it is doing is upseting seasonals and giving bad reviews for her business,both her and glenn should know that when you own a business you should expect that when you treat the most important people that fund your business like children they are going to talk and talk is what gives you business or hampers it. They really need to rethink how they treat their seasonal campers because if they don't i foresee that more and more seasonals are going to go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Nelson's Family Campground? Share your experiences!