“Seems to be a favorite place for locals” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 21 things to do in East Haddam
Massachusetts
“Seems to be a favorite place for locals”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

The first "camping weekend" of the season seemed to bring out lots of people who wanted to camp in groups despite the rain. We had a Class C RV and we were the only RV there. All of the rest were in tents. Initially thought the place would get a bit rowdy at night, but not so. It seems to be a good place for fishing; lots of the twenty somethings and the older peopls were doing some serious stream fishing. We moved to site #16 -- it had a nice view of the stream flowing by. Site #14 was right by the garbage cans. The surrounding area is nice for walks and hikes; the falls are great, but we won't be returning for the camping experience.

Visited April 2014

Benton Harbor, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
“Devil's Hopyard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I just stopped by for a break from driving The picnic area was so peaceful! Right by a stream running along the road. I hiked into the woods and followed the stream a ways but had to turn back, unfortunately. If you are a person who likes the outdoors, this is a place to visit because there are places for the children to run and climb, and it is always enjoyable to be outside in nature. The paths take you to a waterfall and the Hopyards. There are stations set up with maps and the history behind the Hopyards. When I get a chance I will go back and hike the entire area.

Visited February 2013
Halifax, Canada
49 attraction reviews
“Nice falls, not great for camping”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Pros: Falls were nice, close to road and easy to find

Cons: Camping area was an open field, with no real distinction in sites, no flush toilets/showers

I ended up coming to Devils Hopyard for a camping trip. I should have spent a little more time looking into things before deciding to camp here. Although the falls are beautiful, the lack of even basic campground necessities were disappointing.

When I arrived, I attempted to find a ranger station, or at least a reception desk, but was unable to locate anyone. I decided to at least go and set up my tent and then venture out again to try and find something. When I arrived at my spot (which was reserved online) I was surprised to find that another group had already set up camp. When I talked to them about it, they said they set up on the wrong site and the ranger said to allow me to have their spot. Not a big deal (I actually became good friends with them in the 2 days I was there).

The campground was $26 (If I remember correctly) for campers out of state. This is quite a bit since there was no running water, just an outhouse, and no staff that I saw for my entire 2 day stay.

Conclusion: Its a great little trip outside Hartford for anyone to make. The falls are a good height with lots of water. Crowds were limited and there were lots of hiking. If you plan on staying the night make sure you have all the supplies you need as you won't be able to get anything on site.

Visited May 2013
Norwich, Connecticut
32 attraction reviews
“Surprising Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I only recently ventured into the Devil's Hopyard recently. Tons of well maintained trails, great places to picnic, and a great place to drive through. I can not believe I have never been to the park before.

Visited August 2013
“nice day for a hike”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very nice trail system for all levels of hiking. Awesome views and well maintained. Our dog just loves the place. There's nice falls at the bottom, great place for some family photos and a little dip will do ya:)

Visited June 2013

Been to Devil's Hopyard State Park? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Devil's Hopyard State Park, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.