“Fun, lively vibe and busy! Great place for casual food!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Deep River
Cuisines: American, Sandwiches, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Red House provides an array of food and drink that keeps customers wondering what is coming next. Whether it is seasonal menus, southern bbq, hot trends we keep are customers coming by keeping our ingredients fresh.
Westbrook, Connecticut
“Fun, lively vibe and busy! Great place for casual food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Went on a Friday night- made reservations because we had a party of 10. Our table was ready when we arrived and was waited on immediately taking our drink order we also placed and order for nachos buffalo wings and fried pickles. Everything came out pretty quickly. The waitress was very attentive even though she had other tables. We placed our entree order and it came out in a reasonable time even though the restaurant was very busy as well as the bar area. I had a cheeseburger cooked rare as ordered and one if the best burgers I have ever had- my husband had the bourbon glazed chicken with Brussels sprouts and was also very good - the others at the table had buffalo chicken wrap- crispy chicken- brush eat sandwich all of which they said was very . good. We were never rushed even though at this point there were people waiting out the door! This is a great casual food restuant with some interesting choices on the menu.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

A TripAdvisor Member
“Didn't have to do the dishes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I wouldn't go out of my way to visit Red House. Apparently others feel the same way. Stopped here on. Sunday afternoon with friends for a light lunch and a few tasty beverages. Nothing was awesome. Service, grub and grog were all good...but not great. Something is missing here, just not quite sure what it is.
Lunch menu was being served which did not include ribs (no ribs at a BBQ joint?). Also wanted to try Mac n Chz, but alas...only served at dinner. So we asked and were happy to be told that the kitchen would oblige. We were the only table in the joint so the server explained that they could make an exception "just don't expect the same accommodation next time you come back"....
Hey server lady...I wouldn't worry about that happening.

chester, connecticut
“Disappointed Again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Because we are planning on opening a bar/tavern in the near future, I will admit that I am critical of food, drinks, atmosphere, and service. So here are some things I have seen and will try to avoid. The inside is nicely decorated with music albums and pictures reminiscent of the sixties. There are a couple of lava lamps as well. The crowd is "usually" made up of friendly people that come in with friends and family. I hear the dining area is fun for families with children, but that is not what I am looking for, so...
The service is OK most of the time. The women bartenders seem attentive and actually have spoken with me at times. The male bartenders could lighten up a bit and acknowledge that we are spending money and tipping, and that we are the customers, not just people who should never comment on the service or food. A little bit of " hi, how you doing...nice out today hey?" would be a nice touchh.
The food. yesterday I ordered a hamburger. I don't eat fries, so I asked if they could be replaced with something...anything for that matter. I was told that there would be a mark up for anything other than the fries. So I guess the fries are worth nothing? no value? I mean all I wanted was like a slice of tomato or a spoon full of rice. The burger had two issues. For one, there was a tiny slice of tomato, about as thin as three playing cards, and the color was pink. No seeds or juice in it, just the skeleton of a tomato. I showed the male bartender, who looked at me with amazement in his eyes, as if I was not supposed to say anything or give any feedback. The top of the bun was burnt black. I showed it to him and he said, "do you want me to get you a new bun?". I told him that he never should have brought it out to me like that in the first place, and that now it was me who was the problem? I knew the burger was taking too long, so I am not surprised that it turned black if it was under heating lights waiting to be picked up.
My wife had a salad that was supposed to have balsamic vinegar on it. It tasted like some type of motor fluids, but not like vinegar we have ever tasted. She had it taken away and reordered.
The drinks are good. Most of the female staff are pleasant and friendly. The acoustics are terrible, so everyone can hear what you are saying in the bar area (concrete floor and metal ceiling). The bartender said, "you always complain", which isn't true. But like I told him, "others say the same things in town, at least I am telling you". It is almost as if they are so convinced that their food is perfect and their staff is the best, that they refuse to listen to anyone who is not satisfied. It is called inflexible, like with the fries. I think the management has a well oiled machine with regard to cost controls, etc., but it becomes a problem when I feel I am part of that cost control. So this place is not working out for me as a "bar" to take a break or socialize. When I told the bartender about the burnt bun, some younger locals at the end of the bar kept yelling at me to go somewhere else, and they wished I would get hit by a car. The bartender also allowed this to happen. So these are some things I am learning for the future. No, I won't be going back, but I guess they don't mind.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
new york
“Fun Family Dinner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Good menu , fun for kids, nice drinks for the grown-ups! Nice table up front with lots of space for kids to move around.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
East Haddam, Connecticut
“Great drinks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We have been a few times and we enjoy this restaurant. It is kid friendly however bc of the acoustics of the dining room, it is very loud on weekend nights. It was very difficult to talk to my family and after about 30 minutes we were all annoyed with the noise/sounds of the room. We went another time before the dinner crowd (around 4pm) and the atmosphere was better for us, quieter. They have a great drink menu. I highly recommend the kiwi strawberry margarita! Yum!

• Visited August 2013