“Tasty breakfast buffet, but stupid. Very good otherwise.” 3 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Danbury
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tijeras, New Mexico, United States
“Tasty breakfast buffet, but stupid. Very good otherwise.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

At breakfast, I learned I wasn't a morning person. My business-paid room came with a free 'full' breakfast, enabled with a breakfast card. It is a nice breakfast buffet, with lots of things, including delicious scrambled eggs that look like scrambled eggs. The sign says "Please wait to be seated". Why? There was nobody there to seat me. The breakfast staff has not figured out how to deal with single business people. They think that each wants to sit at a separate table, but each table is capable of holding 4. So the eating area was full, at 1/4 capacity, and they wanted to put me in a corner. I refused, wanting to sit in the middle so I could see the TV. But the only available middle table held 6 or 8 people. I sat down and ate there anyway. When done, the bill for $15.90 came, even though the card was laying on the table. I asked him what he wanted me to do with the bill. He said to fill out both the card and the bill. This is annoying to this newly-discovered non-morning person. I DON'T WANT A BILL IF I HAVE A BREAKFAST CARD. (management, did you read that?) If you're trolling for tips, put up a sign saying something like "Tips are appreciated" next to a tip jar at the entrance.
To alleviate the capacity problem, where 1 person uses a table meant for 4 people, I think they should put a row of tables side-by-side across the middle, and individual 4-person tables on the outer edges. Change the sign to "Please seat yourself". Most of the adults that eat breakfast there will figure it out, and enjoy polite greetings with the stranger seated nearby. This was the breakfast buffet layout at the Hampton Inn next to La Guardia airport a day later.
The front desk staff is very friendly and competent. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent (excellent!) with good service and good food. The room was nice; bed was comfy. Very quiet hotel, even though I was on the side with the freeway (8th floor).
The tennis courts had no nets (really!). Hopefully, this hotel will buy a couple nets and offer tennis rackets to borrow (for free) if someone wants to play tennis. Good tennis rackets cost less than $15 at the thrift stores. I stayed at a resort in Hawaii that did this.
I'll stay there again; but, if they don't have their complimentary breakfast thing worked out, I'll look elsewhere. This was my first stay at this hotel in Danbury, but my 4th trip to Danbury.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Spent one night at the hotel on a business trip. Room was acceptable but food service in the Fusion and room service was well below acceptable. Room service order placed and verified. After one hour called to ask when food would be delivered. They didn't note room number so they basically didn't fill the order. Told me another 45 minutes since the bar service was the priority not the room deliveries. When it did arrive food was cold. Next am the Concierge Room was not ready at 6:30am as stated so went to Fusion. Bagels stale, food average service for coffee refills terrible.
Net there has to be a better option or pack your own food.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Columbia, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had to find overnight accomodations and decided to try a blind reservation through a website. We didn't know where we would be until the reservation was finalized. We chose a 3.5 star hotel and were very glad when it was the Crowne Plaza as, historically, it's a good place to stay. The danbury locale did not disappoint. Even with the discounted rate we were given a king sized bed on one of the upper most floors. The bathroom is a bit tight but other than that, no complaints. We would stay there again.

Stayed April 2015
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Rooms and bar area have been recently renovated and are pretty nice, breakfast area and elevators need some additional work, also you should ask for a room facing the opposite side of the highway, too much noise comes from it specially in the morning where I84 is very busy.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Alexander P, Manager at Crowne Plaza Danbury, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Cucarachos,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and giving us the opportunity to serve you, We appreciate any and all guest feedback as a learning tool for our strive for service excellence and we will use your review in our ongoing efforts.
Watertown, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2015

This hotel appears to be recently updated. The elevators on the other hand can use a face lift. Overall our room was spacious, quiet and clean. It had all the extras one comes to expect from the Crowne Plaza brand. My only other complaint is that the service in the bar restaurant was on the slow side. The overall net is that I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Michael V,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Danbury and for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry to see that there were a few kinks in our services for you during your stay but we are glad that you enjoyed your time here overall. Please come visit us again soon.
Melville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2015

Teh hotel has been recently updated and is very nice on the inside. his place is very clean. The lobby, restaurants, and bar are all very attractively decorated. The food in the bar was good, and they had a nice selection of draft & bottle beer, as well as a decent selection of scotch. The room was really great, clean with very comfortable beds. I recommend getting a room on the Executive floor. It's not much more expensive and they have nice walk in showers in those rooms. The only thing that is not so nice about the hotel is the outside, it looks like prsion, but the inside is really nice especially for the low price (free wifi and free newspaper). Also, the breakfast buffet had really fresh items, the frut was great, but the "scrambled eggs" were fake eggs - real eggs could be made to order but would need to be purchased separate from the buffet price.
Overall, a really nice hotel that I will definitely stay at again if I'm ever back in the area..

Room Tip: Get an room on the executive floor.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear GiovanniMinaldo,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Danbury and for taking the time to review our hotel. These reviews are a very important tool that our staff uses in order to better ourselves and we appreciate any and all feedback given. We are so excited that you seem to thoroughly enjoy our hotel and our staff and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Lockport, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2015

Downside
* Housekeeping thinks its fine to come around to your room at 9 AM - bothering my daughter's sleep. Put the sign out front for Do Not Disturb.

* Went downstairs for morning coffee so as to not disturb my wife. Urn of coffee was full of grounds, so I mentioned they might want to look into it at the front desk. They decided to pull the urn, and semblance of coffee. Ultimately, there are a great many responses to this situation and I don't think this was near optimal.

* Hotel is down a steep slope. Snow had fallen earlier in the day - at least, several hours before. I felt the snow removal in and around the hotel to have been really pretty poor.

* We had stayed at a CPlaza in Austin where more effort was taken in the folds of bathroom linens and such. A small thing, but important.

* Bed linens were scratchy, unwelcoming. No fluffy quilt ... just a fair night's sleep.

Upside:
* Rooms were large, and well appointed.
* Nice décor throughout the rooms and hotel.
* Lots of room, the overall appearance of a nicer hotel. Certainly has the feel of a place that targets business conferences.

We had a great trip in Austin at a Crown Plaza. This one, not so much at all. Again, for the area and panache the price was right, but the hotel failed at some simple things within their control and some larger things (linens) that maybe they couldn't.

If you are looking for a place to eat, Stanziato's pizzeria is about 5-10 minutes away, uses excellent ingredients (organic, fresh, local) and has a hip feel about it. No booze, just wine and beer. The four of us left bloated, had two glasses of German wine, four cans of Coke, a dozen wings, salsa/chips, salad and three pizzas, four great ice screams ... $120 including a generous tip. For the area, and the quality of the food, we felt that was pretty fair price.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Danbury, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear AlexCherie7233,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I certainly apologize for the issues you had during your stay. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Danbury? Share your experiences!