“Very Nice Place” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melville, New York
“Very Nice Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Teh hotel has been recently updated and is very nice on the inside. his place is very clean. The lobby, restaurants, and bar are all very attractively decorated. The food in the bar was good, and they had a nice selection of draft & bottle beer, as well as a decent selection of scotch. The room was really great, clean with very comfortable beds. I recommend getting a room on the Executive floor. It's not much more expensive and they have nice walk in showers in those rooms. The only thing that is not so nice about the hotel is the outside, it looks like prsion, but the inside is really nice especially for the low price (free wifi and free newspaper). Also, the breakfast buffet had really fresh items, the frut was great, but the "scrambled eggs" were fake eggs - real eggs could be made to order but would need to be purchased separate from the buffet price.
Overall, a really nice hotel that I will definitely stay at again if I'm ever back in the area..

Room Tip: Get an room on the executive floor.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Lockport, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Downside
* Housekeeping thinks its fine to come around to your room at 9 AM - bothering my daughter's sleep. Put the sign out front for Do Not Disturb.

* Went downstairs for morning coffee so as to not disturb my wife. Urn of coffee was full of grounds, so I mentioned they might want to look into it at the front desk. They decided to pull the urn, and semblance of coffee. Ultimately, there are a great many responses to this situation and I don't think this was near optimal.

* Hotel is down a steep slope. Snow had fallen earlier in the day - at least, several hours before. I felt the snow removal in and around the hotel to have been really pretty poor.

* We had stayed at a CPlaza in Austin where more effort was taken in the folds of bathroom linens and such. A small thing, but important.

* Bed linens were scratchy, unwelcoming. No fluffy quilt ... just a fair night's sleep.

Upside:
* Rooms were large, and well appointed.
* Nice décor throughout the rooms and hotel.
* Lots of room, the overall appearance of a nicer hotel. Certainly has the feel of a place that targets business conferences.

We had a great trip in Austin at a Crown Plaza. This one, not so much at all. Again, for the area and panache the price was right, but the hotel failed at some simple things within their control and some larger things (linens) that maybe they couldn't.

If you are looking for a place to eat, Stanziato's pizzeria is about 5-10 minutes away, uses excellent ingredients (organic, fresh, local) and has a hip feel about it. No booze, just wine and beer. The four of us left bloated, had two glasses of German wine, four cans of Coke, a dozen wings, salsa/chips, salad and three pizzas, four great ice screams ... $120 including a generous tip. For the area, and the quality of the food, we felt that was pretty fair price.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our family got together, the hotel was clean, the furniture and decor is modern and very new. We had a fantastic stay. The hotel staff were very accommodating. Can't wait for the next family event. The banquet manager was very helpful leading up to the event, everything was very smooth. loved it.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Everything at this hotel was great. The bed was extremely comfortable and you are given a pampering kit to do at bedtime to help you relax. We didn't order room service or need anything extra. There was a large group in the hotel and our stay was not effected at all, completely quiet. Very affordable, actually was cheaper than some other hotels in the area that were rated as less stars. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Great value, very nice hotel!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Monroe, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed here for an overnight the beginning of the month. My wife & I arrived here late it was a little before 10pm. The outside of the building is kind of drab looking just brown brick. Inside the hotel is very clean and contemporary looking. The front desk wasn't right were you walk in the door like most hotels, you have to walk through the big lobby first before you get to it. I found that kind of odd. By the time we got our room key and got settled in the room we wanted to have dinner. It was a quarter after 10 now. Come to find out all the restaurants in the hotel were already closed. They also stopped room service at this time. I walked down to the bar while my wife stayed up in the room as they were the only thing still open. They have the menu displayed right outside the door. I went in and asked if I could place an order. I was told they don't serve food after 10pm only drinks. I found that very odd as most hotel bars still serve at least appetizer foods through the night. My wife & I were too exhausted to venture out so we just didn't eat that night. Another thing was that the blanket on the bed was very thin & light for the winter time, no comforters. No big deal just turned the heat up. Don't get me wrong, we did enjoy our stay here & would stay here again my main thing is that I just wish they would serve food here at night even if it is just the bar or room service or even arranged something with some outside delivery service.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Christine M, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Danbury, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Digitalgpbandit,
We appreciate our guest reviews, they are what help us strive to meet and exceed our guest expectations.
Thank you for your review.
Ridgefield, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel building was vacant fo several years and Crowne Plaza took it over and did a terrific renovation. The hotel is attractive, clean, convenient and deserves at least a half-star more than its three-star rating.

I booked my room through Priceline.com and got an amazing weekend price (after all taxes, etc. the room was $75). There are not many three-star hotels in Danbury, so you have a very good chance of getting this one or another good one on Priceline if you specify three-star.

There was one oddity about the room. The building, which was a hotel in the past, had been unused fo several years. It was purchased and renovated by Crowne Plaza, which did a very attractive job. In the bathrooms, however, there is one glitch. The shower stall floor was raised about nine inches from the bathroom floor but the shower head was not. I am 5'8" and the shower head hit the back of my head (I had to crouch to shampoo/rinse my hair). Hotel staff told me that in the future I should request a room with a bathtub because then I would get a normal height shower head. This is my only criticism of the hotel. Otherwise, everything was great

Room Tip: ask for bathtub
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Christine M, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Danbury, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear TigerDiner,
Thank you for your review. The hotel became a Crowne Plaza in 2013 and went through a major renovation. We continue to make changes to add more value to our guest. The bathroom shower design was done during the renovation (prior to the new ownership in July 2014) and is a concern we have heard of before. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel and hope to see you back soon.
Mystic, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2015

I do have a Hospitality Field background...but it honestly doesn't make me hard to please, in fact it makes me generally more understanding when things aren't "just right"...because I know "stuff happens"! And for those who've read my other reviews I could probably be criticized for rarely having negative stuff to say (I could hear folks saying, "does this guy just like EVERYTHING? haha). However, this was not a place I'd return to.

Unlike our last family trip for a gymnastics event (yep, 8am the next morning), we arrived comfortably in late afternoon (a good thing). I only ever found one luggage bell cart (but it's HUGE hotel) which I saw the next morning--sure maybe they were in use. Ok. so that's not too important. For what I figured would be a busy holiday (Valentines) weekend coupled with a USA Gymnastics event the next morning nearby, there was only one person at the desk who, I'm sorry, made me wonder if he had just worked a double...I kinda' felt like I was troubling him. Pleasant enough once you engaged him and he perked up when he was joined by a second associate a few hours later.

The hotel obviously has some well-traveled years on it and is enormous...function rooms, ball rooms, couple of restaurants, yep the whole nine yards. However, the pool area including the family game room was just simply a mess...you could tell it hadn't been attended to from whoever partied there the night before. The pool and the seating, however...wow, nice (once you finally find where it is...long trail to get there)!

Fitness room was huge, very well equipped and clean. The lobby pool/billiards table was a blast (only had one working cue stick...but one is all it takes). My son and I played for hours. Breakfast was a full buffet and it was excellent...so were the servers. The room was fine as well...a little cold draft coming under the under-the-window PTAC heating/AC unit (which is common for these systems) but otherwise it was fine. Had trouble connecting to WiFi which is usually a ridiculously easy 2-step process. Ended up using my Verizon air card. Oh well.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Christine M, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Danbury, responded to this review, February 20, 2015
Dear Fusiller RFD,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate all of our reviews as they only help us to continue to better our service.

Warm regards, Christine Mazzoli, Director of Sales

Been to Crowne Plaza Danbury? Share your experiences!