“Nice hotel, but no food served after 10pm” 4 of 5 stars

Save 20%
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Danbury
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Monroe, New York
“Nice hotel, but no food served after 10pm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for an overnight the beginning of the month. My wife & I arrived here late it was a little before 10pm. The outside of the building is kind of drab looking just brown brick. Inside the hotel is very clean and contemporary looking. The front desk wasn't right were you walk in the door like most hotels, you have to walk through the big lobby first before you get to it. I found that kind of odd. By the time we got our room key and got settled in the room we wanted to have dinner. It was a quarter after 10 now. Come to find out all the restaurants in the hotel were already closed. They also stopped room service at this time. I walked down to the bar while my wife stayed up in the room as they were the only thing still open. They have the menu displayed right outside the door. I went in and asked if I could place an order. I was told they don't serve food after 10pm only drinks. I found that very odd as most hotel bars still serve at least appetizer foods through the night. My wife & I were too exhausted to venture out so we just didn't eat that night. Another thing was that the blanket on the bed was very thin & light for the winter time, no comforters. No big deal just turned the heat up. Don't get me wrong, we did enjoy our stay here & would stay here again my main thing is that I just wish they would serve food here at night even if it is just the bar or room service or even arranged something with some outside delivery service.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Christine M, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Danbury, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Digitalgpbandit,
We appreciate our guest reviews, they are what help us strive to meet and exceed our guest expectations.
Thank you for your review.
Warm regards, Christine Mazzoli, Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ridgefield, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel building was vacant fo several years and Crowne Plaza took it over and did a terrific renovation. The hotel is attractive, clean, convenient and deserves at least a half-star more than its three-star rating.

I booked my room through Priceline.com and got an amazing weekend price (after all taxes, etc. the room was $75). There are not many three-star hotels in Danbury, so you have a very good chance of getting this one or another good one on Priceline if you specify three-star.

There was one oddity about the room. The building, which was a hotel in the past, had been unused fo several years. It was purchased and renovated by Crowne Plaza, which did a very attractive job. In the bathrooms, however, there is one glitch. The shower stall floor was raised about nine inches from the bathroom floor but the shower head was not. I am 5'8" and the shower head hit the back of my head (I had to crouch to shampoo/rinse my hair). Hotel staff told me that in the future I should request a room with a bathtub because then I would get a normal height shower head. This is my only criticism of the hotel. Otherwise, everything was great

Room Tip: ask for bathtub
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Christine M, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Danbury, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear TigerDiner,
Thank you for your review. The hotel became a Crowne Plaza in 2013 and went through a major renovation. We continue to make changes to add more value to our guest. The bathroom shower design was done during the renovation (prior to the new ownership in July 2014) and is a concern we have heard of before. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel and hope to see you back soon.
Mystic, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I do have a Hospitality Field background...but it honestly doesn't make me hard to please, in fact it makes me generally more understanding when things aren't "just right"...because I know "stuff happens"! And for those who've read my other reviews I could probably be criticized for rarely having negative stuff to say (I could hear folks saying, "does this guy just like EVERYTHING? haha). However, this was not a place I'd return to.

Unlike our last family trip for a gymnastics event (yep, 8am the next morning), we arrived comfortably in late afternoon (a good thing). I only ever found one luggage bell cart (but it's HUGE hotel) which I saw the next morning--sure maybe they were in use. Ok. so that's not too important. For what I figured would be a busy holiday (Valentines) weekend coupled with a USA Gymnastics event the next morning nearby, there was only one person at the desk who, I'm sorry, made me wonder if he had just worked a double...I kinda' felt like I was troubling him. Pleasant enough once you engaged him and he perked up when he was joined by a second associate a few hours later.

The hotel obviously has some well-traveled years on it and is enormous...function rooms, ball rooms, couple of restaurants, yep the whole nine yards. However, the pool area including the family game room was just simply a mess...you could tell it hadn't been attended to from whoever partied there the night before. The pool and the seating, however...wow, nice (once you finally find where it is...long trail to get there)!

Fitness room was huge, very well equipped and clean. The lobby pool/billiards table was a blast (only had one working cue stick...but one is all it takes). My son and I played for hours. Breakfast was a full buffet and it was excellent...so were the servers. The room was fine as well...a little cold draft coming under the under-the-window PTAC heating/AC unit (which is common for these systems) but otherwise it was fine. Had trouble connecting to WiFi which is usually a ridiculously easy 2-step process. Ended up using my Verizon air card. Oh well.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Christine M, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Danbury, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Fusiller RFD,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate all of our reviews as they only help us to continue to better our service.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The hotel is a nice quite place to stay while visiting Danbury, one of the first exits when leaving New York. The hotel Concierge floors have a great selection of happy hour Tapas and drinks included in the room price. Dinner is not required after visiting this lounge.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2015

Found this place by accident. Great place clean and modern. Plenty of free parking great amenities awesome staff. Really cool bar with a piano. I would stay here again no doubt. If your in this area enjoy.

Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
Christine M, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Danbury, responded to this review, January 28, 2015
Dear Orie;
Thank you for your review. We are glad you found us, even if it wasn't intentional. We do hope to welcome you back when your in the area again.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2015

Booked a one night stay at the Crowne Plaza while in the Danbury area for a wake and funeral. When my mother arrived (we were traveling separately), the mamager assisted her with her bag and took her to her room...nice touch! Rooms are nice and appeared to be clean...until the morning when we actually saw a few disturbing things. When brushing my teeth, I noticed caked on toothpaste spatter on the lamp housings on each side of the mirror. Ok, a little gross, but it didn't touch me so I was willing to let it go...until...I sat at the desk to do my hair and makeup and found a used lollipop stick had rolled under the edge of the coffee service tray. You wouldn't have seen it unless you sat at the desk. However, it is clear to me that the countertops are not wiped down after each guest or if they are, the cleaning staff simply wipes around anything that might be in their way. Gross! I would probably give this place a second chance, but the cleaning staff needs to be better supervised.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Christine M, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Danbury, responded to this review, January 16, 2015
Thank you for your review. Please accept our sincere apologies our guest room were not up to par during your stay. We have addressed this with our housekeeping staff and hope you do give us the opportunity to show you we have improved. Thank you again for your review.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2015

Was there a few times never have iit liike this the new management is not the giving you the best services thay r not cleaning the same as the old one rooms was dirty & came in the morning was before check out was closed the ballroom that we paid I'm not advising groups to go there come to paying thay r over charging hope thay will get better

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Christine M, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Danbury, responded to this review, January 15, 2015
Dear Ely,
We do take our reviews very seriously and we are disappointed in your review. The hotel is under a new ownership and management, we are very proud to be working for both. We have made changes to our level of service and based on many reviews we see we are moving our service levels to better serve all of guest.
To post a poor review on a social tool in order to receive compensation from the hotel is just as unfair as the business paying for positive reviews. We do not partake in either practice.
The hotel had a signed contract for this event along with a food waiver and indemnification clause. It clearly stated that the hotel would charge a cleaning fee if the ballroom needed to be cleaned. Based on how the room was left when the staff came in the next morning the cleaning fee was warranted.
Sincerely, Christine Mazzoli, Director of Sales

Been to Crowne Plaza Danbury? Share your experiences!