“A great luxurious building, unfortunately run down by bad management” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Maron Hotel & Suites

Save Saved
You added Maron Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Maron Hotel & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   42 Lake Avenue Extension, Mill Plain Road, Danbury, CT 06811   |
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Danbury
Berlin, Germany
“A great luxurious building, unfortunately run down by bad management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I just did check out after a three week business stay. Their king suites are spacious and gave me a good comfort of living. But it took me a couple of days to find out, how to operate the last century control devices of the air conditioning. It seems that even the staff does not know, how to operate them. If set properly, there is no problem to even heat up to 80 degrees. Maybe that is the problem and they do not tell the customers, because it could cost them some dollars, if everyone has a warm room. But that is only conspiracy.

The building must have been constructed for a luxury hotel once. It has a garage inside the house, which is accessible from the back side. Space their is limited, because they are also parking old broken cars there. But because many guests might not know about that facility I always found a parking lot close to the elevator, which did bring me directly to the 3rd floor, where I had my room. A great comfort in winter time!

My room was in better condition than the one that they showed me on my advance visit. No wall-papers hanging down. Sorry, I also did not find any bed bugs like some other guest did. One thing: behind the curtain they are storing an unused frame with a mosquito net. It has very sharp edges. You might hurt yourself, when you try to open the window. SO WATCH OUT. It already did damage parts of the nice curtain. This house has plenty of technical rooms. Why they cannot store things like this over there?

The breakfast is also a joke. Just white bagels and toast bread. They give boiled eggs. But take care! Sometimes I did catch also a raw one from that bowl. In the first days of my stay, they did serve also a few yummy sourdough bagels. But that service did run out. I was expecting a little bit more, as they have a fully equipped kitchen.

The business center has no scanner. Even there was no software on the computer. I had to download and install adobe reader and libre office to be able to do some basic things. I also did download an antivirus scanner, but did not find time to install it. Maybe the next guest can do it ;-). The wifi is good, but was only available in the front room of my suite. In the bed room it was to weak to be used with my smartphone. The line to the internet provider freezes many times during the day. I always had to phone the front desk, that they reset their devices. This was a BIG PROBLEM to me, as I have to do remote work on my customers network sometimes. In every laundromat I find better facility.

No washing machine for long-time guest is provided.
No towels in the spa.
Even the bill looks messy.

My suggestion:

PLEASE, DEAR OWNER OF THIS HOTEL, CHANGE THE MANAGEMENT IMMEDIATELY.

With a few inexpensive improvement that place can become a great hotel again. But if the run-down continues it will become worthless at all very soon.

Room Tip: central AC is in back of building. So I expect more noise over there.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Long Island City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I am never the type of person to leave a review but I just got back from this hotel with my boyfriend and we had the worst time ever!! I have always been the type of person to check on reviews but this was a surprise from my boyfriend for an early valentines day present and it was a disaster. The rooms are filthy here!!! The carpet was so disgusting that had stains throughout it and was completely ripped. The towels and sheets looked like they had dry blood on it and the heat didn't even work that I am so sick. We switched rooms thinking it would be better and just like the other room that had no heat, no phones that worked, no television, it was the same. The Wifi connection was horrendous and we thought we could rent movies on my computer since their TV's were the worst! We couldn't even call the front desk because their phones didnt work. The food is absolutely horrible, the staff seemed absolutely miserable to be there. ALSO, bed BUGS that I have a rash all over me and their blankets are like paper towels. This place is dark and dreary that I felt like I was in a murder scene abandoned hotel. This was not worth the money!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfield, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I didn't like the hotel from the moment I pulled in the parking lot...which is semi-shared with Stop & Shop. The lobby was probably the nicest part of the hotel. The staff was friendly and courteous but the accomodations were less than desireable. The carpet was ripped, stained, and everything in the room looked very cheap and junky.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Dark, dirty and outdated. Looks like an office building that was converted to rooms. Staff looks mortified working there. This property is in need of some newly updated furnishings and paint. The rooms are dark and gloomy. The carpeting in the rooms is old and stained. The parking garage is not lighted and poses a safety risk. The people working there seem to have no choice. Other guests felt the same way. Perhaps a complete overhaul is in order. What are the owners thinking? I didn't feel like there was an hospitality and no attention to detail. The price was on par with other branded hotels in the area. I couldn't get a reservation at any of those. So I was stuck at this unsightly mess of a place and couldn't wait to get out of there!

Room Tip: Find another place to stay. Trust me.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was very happy with this hotel. I had a great room, excellent customer service. I just read some bad reviews, which make the hotel look bad, however it seems those bad reviews are from the same wedding party. The hotel gets booked for a reason, it is because they have an excellent reputation. I believe Mary Elizabeth is the woman who runs the hotel, and she treated me like I was home. Actually, I have my son three days and nights a week, and he also loved it. Whoever is reading those wedding party reviews, I guess they should be looked at as one poor review, because the numerous reviews said the same things from the same wedding party. In the past I threw my brothers bachelor party in the Vivo Bar and Grill area of the establishment, and that was also excellent. I dont know, maybe I am different than others, but I will continue to stay at this hotel. Keep up the good work. My name is Paul V from the Danbury area, and from what I know of Mary Elizabeth, she works very hard and runs a great place to stay and she has been very hospitable, especially in the hectic weeks of Sandy (Hurricane).

Room Tip: My son actually said he felt like he was on a cruise ship, because he loves vacationing and to him i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Oswego, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I had limited choices of where I could stay in Danbury, so I booked this hotel in spite of what I read in the reviews. Maybe it was becuase I was expecting the worst, but it was fine. I arrived on Thanksgiving evening, at about 5:30. THere was a young man at the desk who was very pleasant and friendly. He had my reservation ready, it took less than 3 minutes to check in. He volunteered info if I wanted to get a snack (the hotel restaurant was closed because ot the holiday). I had a suite, which was very spacious. Yes, it is most definately in need of updating, but very clean, which is probably the most important thing to me. As a matter of fact, I was happily surprised that the bed linen smelled like it just came out of the dryer. Maybe I just got lucky, but everything was fine and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Burlington, Vermont, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We came to Danbury for a wedding from Vermont. We arrived at 1:15 and were told that the room was not ready but she took our phone number and she said she would call us when it was ready. We said fine - could we use the fitness center and the gal said yes. We found bathrooms, changed and headed to the fitness center. Unfortunately the machines were many, many years old and really not very functional. We ended up heading outside to walk instead. When we returned at 2:00 we checked with the gal and she said no it was not ready - closer to 2:30. The other person (who we would come to learn was the manager - mary beth) said if people stopped asking us questions they might get their room faster. I was a bit taken aback, but decided to just sit on the couch and wait. In the mean time many others were checking in and the service continued to deteriorate. The manager was so rude and people were just asking when the rooms might be ready. At 2:50 still no room and someone offered for me to shower in the groom's mother's room as she had left and they had just done so. I went up and was soon joined by the groom's mothers sister and her daughter and daughter-in-law. I finally finished getting ready about 3:30 and headed down and Neil still did not have a room (he had been waiting in the lobby). Just as i got there he was given a room key - we go to the room and someone elses clothing (a ladies) are in teh room - we were given someone elses key). I must say that people who were given rooms before Neil arrived way after we did - we were not very happy! Neil stayed in the room to change as the bus was leaving promptly at 4:00 and I got in line. What I saw while waiting in line was embarrassing. There were 5 people behind the counter trying to get poeple in their rooms but one after another people were returning saying there were beer bottles and/or cigarettes or simply the rooms were not clean. Then Mary Beth starts saying very loudly - 'who did this' refering to some paperwork. One of the gentlemen behind teh counter tried to say that it's not important who did what right now, we need to get people in rooms. She said " I want to talk toyou in the back". How unprofessional is all I have to say. I finally asked for a piece of paper let them know I was checked into room 207, but it was someone elses room and that we would be back after the wedding and we certainly hoped a clean room would have our name on it. We got back at 11 and all was fine for us. We had a key and it worked and there were no other clothes in our room. Our friend Mary Beth was still there and still very cranky. I should let you know I have never taken the time to do a review before - but this service was the worst service I have ever witness and expeinced in my 58 years of being on this earth! I don't know what Mary Beth's problem was, but one huge apology was due from her to all the CUSTOMERS she enountered that day. Thanks for listening!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Maron Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!