“Pleasant Experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Maron Hotel & Suites

You added Maron Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Maron Hotel & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   42 Lake Avenue Extension, Mill Plain Road, Danbury, CT 06811   |
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Danbury
Oswego, New York
“Pleasant Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I had limited choices of where I could stay in Danbury, so I booked this hotel in spite of what I read in the reviews. Maybe it was becuase I was expecting the worst, but it was fine. I arrived on Thanksgiving evening, at about 5:30. THere was a young man at the desk who was very pleasant and friendly. He had my reservation ready, it took less than 3 minutes to check in. He volunteered info if I wanted to get a snack (the hotel restaurant was closed because ot the holiday). I had a suite, which was very spacious. Yes, it is most definately in need of updating, but very clean, which is probably the most important thing to me. As a matter of fact, I was happily surprised that the bed linen smelled like it just came out of the dryer. Maybe I just got lucky, but everything was fine and I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Burlington, Vermont, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We came to Danbury for a wedding from Vermont. We arrived at 1:15 and were told that the room was not ready but she took our phone number and she said she would call us when it was ready. We said fine - could we use the fitness center and the gal said yes. We found bathrooms, changed and headed to the fitness center. Unfortunately the machines were many, many years old and really not very functional. We ended up heading outside to walk instead. When we returned at 2:00 we checked with the gal and she said no it was not ready - closer to 2:30. The other person (who we would come to learn was the manager - mary beth) said if people stopped asking us questions they might get their room faster. I was a bit taken aback, but decided to just sit on the couch and wait. In the mean time many others were checking in and the service continued to deteriorate. The manager was so rude and people were just asking when the rooms might be ready. At 2:50 still no room and someone offered for me to shower in the groom's mother's room as she had left and they had just done so. I went up and was soon joined by the groom's mothers sister and her daughter and daughter-in-law. I finally finished getting ready about 3:30 and headed down and Neil still did not have a room (he had been waiting in the lobby). Just as i got there he was given a room key - we go to the room and someone elses clothing (a ladies) are in teh room - we were given someone elses key). I must say that people who were given rooms before Neil arrived way after we did - we were not very happy! Neil stayed in the room to change as the bus was leaving promptly at 4:00 and I got in line. What I saw while waiting in line was embarrassing. There were 5 people behind the counter trying to get poeple in their rooms but one after another people were returning saying there were beer bottles and/or cigarettes or simply the rooms were not clean. Then Mary Beth starts saying very loudly - 'who did this' refering to some paperwork. One of the gentlemen behind teh counter tried to say that it's not important who did what right now, we need to get people in rooms. She said " I want to talk toyou in the back". How unprofessional is all I have to say. I finally asked for a piece of paper let them know I was checked into room 207, but it was someone elses room and that we would be back after the wedding and we certainly hoped a clean room would have our name on it. We got back at 11 and all was fine for us. We had a key and it worked and there were no other clothes in our room. Our friend Mary Beth was still there and still very cranky. I should let you know I have never taken the time to do a review before - but this service was the worst service I have ever witness and expeinced in my 58 years of being on this earth! I don't know what Mary Beth's problem was, but one huge apology was due from her to all the CUSTOMERS she enountered that day. Thanks for listening!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We were here for on a wedding package. When we stopped by early to ask about the checking time we the manger yelled at us that check in was 3, not sooner. We mentioned the wedding was at 5:30 and asked what time the shuttle service, which the hotel arranged for about 30 of us, would be picking us up. The manager said 4:00. My wife asked hoe two of us could get ready and be down for a bus in less than a hour. The manager got rude and yelled at us. She actually told my wife she should not need more than15 minutes to prepare for a wedding. I asked if she knew a large group would be staying there and it was going to be difficult to get us all checked in and ready for a bus in less than an hour. She made a point of telling us it was "her hotel" and that she was not going to let anyone check in early I suggested perhaps she could just make a couple of rooms available for people to shower, put on make up and get dressed. She really got rude and yelled at us. She turned to her front desk clerk and ordered her not to check anyone in early. Well it turns out they did not start checking people in until 3:30. Several people got rooms other people were already in. Most of us were forced to get dressed in the lobby restrooms. The manager, who we learned is the owner's daughter made no attempt to accomdate people, expressed no regrets nor apologies and was rude to everyone. She even yelled at the groom. When another guest asked what ever happened to "the customer is always right" she told her " the customer is never right". The manager (owner's daughter" clearly was over her head and clearly had no hospitality service training. She should not have any job requiring interface with customers as she has no concept of customer service, courtesy or empathy for her customers. We also noticed she was public ally abusive to her employees. All in all she did all she could touring the wedding. She even had the nerve to tell us we had better all be ready for her 3 shuttle vans at 4;00 or they would leave without us, even though some of us didn't get rooms until 3:50. I am happy to say the actual wedding and reception were wonderful, no thanks to the hotel and their "wedding package".

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here during Hurricane Sandy and this hotel was so bad we couldn't wait to get home to our powerless house. Our reservation got screwed up and I got screamed at by someone at the front desk. Although they made an exception for our pet our arrival only got worse. The manager and owner was beyond rude. I killed her with kindness and told me she didn't like my tone. The phones didn't work, the water was brown and the room was bare and depressing. There was a gigantic crack in our window covered in electrical tape which thankfully sustained the rain and wind. The location is great in that it is close to a lot of convenient places and next to a grocery store. I will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel is dingy, the rugs, bed linen old and the whole place is depressing. The electricity went out the next morning, and they do not have a generator so we had to get ready in the dark. There was no breakfast as promised and the hotel gave no vouchers or made any effort to make up for the mishap. Avoid. There are plenty of good alternatives in the area at similar price points.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ames, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding, and while comfortable, it was a little weird. The entire place felt kinda soul-less (I know hotels don't really have "soul" but this one made me notice it. It was slightly run-down. The lobby made me think it was a bank or mall or something. We upgraded to a suite which was absolutely huge and cavernous.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BRISTOL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This single-location family-owned hotel has good points and bad points:

Good
• Garage parking available at no charge (first come first serve).
• Refrigerator and freezer in every room.
• Smoking and non-smoking rooms available.
• Complimentary self-service breakfast includes hard-boiled eggs, juice, milk, oatmeal, fresh fruit, and more.
• Housekeeping staff member sprayed freshener in smoking room for me.
• Per my request, switched me from smoking to non-smoking room.
• Attractive facility, includes skylight and fountain in lobby.
• Allowed me to check in prior to official stated check-in time.

Bad
• Desk staff member failed to apply stay-two-get-one-free promotion even though I specifically mentioned it when I booked over the phone. I mentioned this to a manager on the second day, and she too failed to apply the promotion. At check-out, my bill was for the full three nights. Staff member first tried to deny me the promotion, saying I didn't book in the correct manner (phone versus Internet). It took me a half hour to check out, while she went to get "manager's approval." The first amount she tried to revise the bill to was incorrect, in the hotel's favor. She finally applied the promotion, but insisted she had to do so at a certain higher rate. What it boils down to: it seems they play games with your bill. Staff member tried to make me feel like she was doing me a favor by adjusting my bill, instead of honoring what they had advertised and agreed to to begin with and apologizing for the bill being wrong.
• Comedy Central and E! did not work in my room even though they are listed in the channel lineup. These channels did work in the restaurant. I reported this repeatedly to staff and even by the time of check-out three days later these channels did not work. It appears to me they did not have an in-house staff member research the problem or contact the provider; instead, they just blew offmy complaint. If you want to watch E! or Comedy Central do not stay here.
• Local calls are 75¢, including toll-free calls.
• Rugs have spots and burn marks, even in non-smoking rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Maron Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!