“This is a rather weird hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Maron Hotel & Suites

You added Maron Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Maron Hotel & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   42 Lake Avenue Extension, Mill Plain Road, Danbury, CT 06811   |
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Danbury
Ames, Iowa
“This is a rather weird hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding, and while comfortable, it was a little weird. The entire place felt kinda soul-less (I know hotels don't really have "soul" but this one made me notice it. It was slightly run-down. The lobby made me think it was a bank or mall or something. We upgraded to a suite which was absolutely huge and cavernous.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
BRISTOL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This single-location family-owned hotel has good points and bad points:

Good
• Garage parking available at no charge (first come first serve).
• Refrigerator and freezer in every room.
• Smoking and non-smoking rooms available.
• Complimentary self-service breakfast includes hard-boiled eggs, juice, milk, oatmeal, fresh fruit, and more.
• Housekeeping staff member sprayed freshener in smoking room for me.
• Per my request, switched me from smoking to non-smoking room.
• Attractive facility, includes skylight and fountain in lobby.
• Allowed me to check in prior to official stated check-in time.

Bad
• Desk staff member failed to apply stay-two-get-one-free promotion even though I specifically mentioned it when I booked over the phone. I mentioned this to a manager on the second day, and she too failed to apply the promotion. At check-out, my bill was for the full three nights. Staff member first tried to deny me the promotion, saying I didn't book in the correct manner (phone versus Internet). It took me a half hour to check out, while she went to get "manager's approval." The first amount she tried to revise the bill to was incorrect, in the hotel's favor. She finally applied the promotion, but insisted she had to do so at a certain higher rate. What it boils down to: it seems they play games with your bill. Staff member tried to make me feel like she was doing me a favor by adjusting my bill, instead of honoring what they had advertised and agreed to to begin with and apologizing for the bill being wrong.
• Comedy Central and E! did not work in my room even though they are listed in the channel lineup. These channels did work in the restaurant. I reported this repeatedly to staff and even by the time of check-out three days later these channels did not work. It appears to me they did not have an in-house staff member research the problem or contact the provider; instead, they just blew offmy complaint. If you want to watch E! or Comedy Central do not stay here.
• Local calls are 75¢, including toll-free calls.
• Rugs have spots and burn marks, even in non-smoking rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is one of the worst Hotels I have ever stayed at. It is tired and worn down. The carpets in our room were stained, there was a white moss growing in the drinking glass, the TV remotes did not work and the cable had a terrible interference. The bed is lumpy. The phone in the room did not work. The service is terrible. We just had a overall bad experience.

Room Tip: Rooms in another Hotel is the way to go.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hopewell Junction, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

I spent 1 night at the hotel. This was no Marriott, but you get what you pay for, right? The staff was nice (although I found it bizarre that the manager had to actually go to the room to see if it was ready). I didn't go into the bar/restaurant because there were lots of bars, restaurants, and eateries within a very short distance to the hotel, which was quite easy to find. Lots of signage. The room was very nice. Could use some fixing up, but overall I have no complaints other then that the lobby was as hot as a sauna for some strange reason. I'd stay here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Haverhill, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were pressed to get a place to stay on a ride home from MD when we found this place. The rooms were clean, breakfast was fair..just enough to get you going. We had a inside room and it was quiet. The lobby was muggy but the AC in the room cooled it down real quick. No complaints from the 2 of us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This hotel has changed hands a number of time in the past. I'm not sure why properties here don't last as the location whilst a little out of the way isn't that bad.

From the outside the hotel doesn't look that bad. It's odd that it's next to a supermarket but that's also a convenience. Inside the hotels past starts to show. The lobby is clean, the stairs show the hotel is in disrepair. From the outside at the back of the hotel, the lack of care shows.

Check-in was slow, the clerk was quite friendly. As someone else noted, they want to make a copy of your driver's license. This is a bad start.

The room itself was pleasant, clean, tidy, and reasonably laid out. If only the hotel could deliver beyond that basic item.

Breakfast is a joke. A few packets of wretched oatmeal (I like oatmeal, but flavored oatmeal? - disgusting), some horrid looking muffins, white - I kid you not - white bread, and hard-boiled eggs. Oh yes, terrible coffee.

The bar has a happy hour, it's mostly empty. The barman or manager, not sure who, was rude and confrontational when I went to enquire as to what they had on offer for happy hour.

The worst part is the noise. I'd rather sleep in a train station, it would have been quieter. At 11 PM, 12 PM, 1, even 2 in the morning there were people running around the halls and sitting in the lobby screaming, making noise, calling to each other. I'll say that again, even at 2 in the morning people were yammering and hollering in the lobby and the desk staff couldn't care less. I complained one night and it was quietened, the same thing happened the next night. Such lack of consideration for their guests sums up the attitude and quality of this hotel.

I hope not to return to the Maron.

Room Tip: As far away from the lobby as possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Punta Gorda, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Booked even after reading the comments on TripAdvisor. Staff make the facility. Great all week. Room clean and bathroom very clean. Continental breakfast OK. Price was best in the area and well located. Restaurant in hotel had good selection of draft beer and food was fine. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Maron Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!