“Good value and great bed” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Danbury
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston MA
“Good value and great bed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My first time staying here, and I prefer it to the Springhill Suites where I stayed on my 2 previous business trips. The room was very nice, with a great bed. The breakfast was excellent. Wifi bandwidth was adequate. My only complaint was that the HVAC system was extremely noisy. Even when I turned off the AC, the sound of the fan went away, but there was still a continual noise. Maybe it was coming from the AC in the room next door? There was a large compressor of some sort right outside my room; maybe it was that.

Also, the workout room was very tiny, but that seems to be the standard in hotels of this level.

Overall, I will use this hotel on subsequent trips (but ask not to be placed next to whatever HVAC unit was making all the noise).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at our hotel, we appreciate your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We can certainly accommodate room location requests in the future, and we also offer complimentary passes to a nearby fitness facility should you like a more extensive workout on future visits! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Carmel, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn, Danbury CT really came through for us in a bind. It was 2am on a Monday morning when my husband decided he couldn't deal with the power outage any longer. He uses a BiPap machine to sleep (he has sleep apnea) and he was exhausted from a day walking around Brooklyn with his family, all he wanted was to come home and crash for the night. Well our power had been out since around noon on Sunday! So around 2am we packed a small suitcase with enough clothes/pjs/toiletries/phone chargers for one night and left for the Danbury Hilton with no prior notice because we had no phones to call and see if they had availability, or to ask the cost. We were literally flying by the seat of our pants. When we arrived about 20 mins later (almost 3am) the parking lot was JAM PACKED! I was fearful that we weren't going to get a room because they were super packed. we parked in some remote dark corner of the parking lot, far away from the main entrance. My husband went in to check and see what their availability was. He came out a few minutes later with a room key card and said, "It's 2 double beds...but, it's only $99 so we lucked out." We sauntered into the beautifully decorated, well lit lobby and up to the 4th floor. Our room was just a few steps from the elevator (and thank god because we were both dead on our feet from exhaustion). We stepped into a gorgeous room. Large double closet, big bathroom with that lovely bowed-out shower rod so the liner doesn't touch you, one of my fave features in any hotel! The beds were white and appeared to be fluffy (more on that later). Large flat screen TV, desk, full length mirror for primping if you so desired. The carpets were beautiful too, dark with large (i mean really large) flowers, maybe they were poppies? Everything was great, maybe except for the beds. My husband & I are used to our tempurpedic, so when I'm reviewing I try not to be TOO biased about the bedding when we stay someplace. These were good attempts at tempurpedic actually, but they were extremely, extremely firm.. kind of a side sleepers nightmare. But luckily I sleep most often on my back. My husband fell RIGHT to sleep, I tossed for about an hour and finally dozed off. We had to be up, showered and out by 8am so we didn't get to enjoy the late check out.. 12pm! I dont know if it was just because we checked IN so late or if they always offer 12pm check out, but I thought that was an awesome feature.. a lot of the hotels we've stayed at have a 10 or 11am check out. They offered us breakfast at 10.95$/pp which I thought was alot. I'm not sure if it was because we had the smallest room? Maybe king rooms have breakfast included. Overall, we loved this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate the feedback! I am so glad to hear that we were able to provide you with a respite on what sounds like a very long day!
Clayton, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Another very good Hilton Garden Inn! Cleanliness is the most important feature we look for in choosing a hotel and this one did not disappoint! We especily like the clean sheets and clean bed coverings provided. The hotel is close to I 84. Our room was very clean, quite and of a nice size. The elevator carpet was quite soiled and needs replacement.

Hotel staff was pleasent and helpful and breskfast was very good!!

Hilton Garden Inns meet our expectations for cleanliness and value!

• Stayed July 2012
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate all guest feedback! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, please come back and visit us again soon!
Rutland, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

i chose this hotel the first time because it was the closest to my work, but continued to come back because it had everything i needed. It is very easy to find from the interstate, yet quiet. First impressions are clean, light and airy. There is a small restaurant as well as room service and the food is pretty good. Also, laundry machines, pool and fitness. A 3 minute walk along a side walk will get you to a small shopping center that has everything you might want if you are there for several days.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel, your feedback is appreciated! I am glad that you find the hotel and area to have everything needed for an enjoyable stay. Please visit us again soon!
boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I was here for two nights, during a friend's wedding weekend. Great location, right off 84. Used HH points for the stay, so the price was right.

The room was excellent, very clean and comfortable.

Service was very good too, I believe it was Christian at the front desk who checked me in and provided some recommendations for restaurants - she was great.

The business center, while small, was convenient. Computers were quick.

One area of disappointment - housekeeping was very loud in the hallway, walkie-talkies were on full volume for some reason and they seemed to be a bit more social than normal housekeepers as they did not stop chatting. Very loud. Perhaps this is thin-wall syndrome, but they were quite boisterous. Too bad to put a black eye on an otherwise excellent stay, but should be easily corrected.

Room Tip: Based on my housekeeper challenges, I'd request the end of a hall - hopefully less traffic!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate all feedback from our guests so that we may continually improve our service and amenities.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for making us aware of the noise level in the hallways, we will address that!

Please visit us again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Very easy to find the hotel,off Interstate 84.The pool was not crowded, not too small and open late and early!The breakfast room is very pleasant and the full breakfast buffet offer a very large choice.the rooms are comfortable.A very good experience!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel! We hope to see you again soon!
Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Overall, a good experience. We got a great rate on our room which, now that I think about it, is probably why they put us in the handicap room and skimped on supplies.

Check-in was prompt and the staff member was friendly and helpful. As Hilton Honors members, we received 2 bottles of water upon check-in which was greatly appreciated after our drive from JFK. The room was a good size and clean. There was a mini-fridge which was busted and missing a foot and it didn’t really keep anything cool, a microwave, and a coffee maker. I like the fact that they offer free wi-fi in the guest rooms and that it is a smoke-free hotel. Great TV with a nice picture and a few HD and movie channels. They do offer room service which we did not use and they have a breakfast buffet for an additional $10.95 which we didn’t do either. One of the best things about this hotel is the location as it’s right off of I-84, however if your room is facing I-84, which ours was, you can definitely hear the road noise. But, it’s within walking distance to Starbuck’s, Trader Joe’s, DSW, Desert Moon Café and Rite-Aid. There’s a sidewalk going directly from the hotel to the shopping strip which is a huge plus. They have a small room (“business center”) off the lobby which we used to print our boarding passes. They also offer a pool and fitness center neither of which we had time to enjoy.

As mentioned in other reviews, the bed was terribly uncomfortable, but we didn’t have a Sleep Number bed. Our bed was a hard foam mattress with what looked like a shearling top (see photo) and my back hurt for a few days afterwards. Like most of these chain hotels, the walls are thin and you can hear everything going on in the hallway. Though the bathroom was clean, I hated the fact that there was no bathroom fan to keep the moisture/humidity down while showering. It’s also nice to have when sharing a room for additional privacy if you know what I mean.

The one major complaint was with housekeeping. There was no shortage of housekeeping staff and we always saw 3 or 4 carts in the hallway each morning. But, this particular group was loud. Each morning we could hear them having conversations with each other (couldn’t understand them as they were in Spanish) and when they’d enter a room, we could hear them slamming dresser drawers and closet doors. As for our room, they did a very poor job of replenishing supplies and towels. By the end of our stay, my poor husband was left with a hand towel to dry himself off and we had 1 little bar of soap to use to wash our hands, but then had to remember to bring that bar of soap in the shower to get that job done. Not a big deal and we would have called down to the front desk to get more if the phone hadn’t been dead. These are things that we could deal with – not a biggie. We got a good rate. Nothing is perfect. Move on.

However, what really got to me was when housekeeping threw away some personal items. Whether we paid the rack rate or half price, I don’t expect any of our items to be taken or discarded. There were packets of eye cream, foundation, and cosmetic strips that go around the eyes all of which were thrown out. I had specifically placed them on the plastic tray where the complimentary shampoo and lotion normally sit, and when I arrived back at my room, they were gone. I can’t imagine housekeeping took them to use themselves, but I have to say my husband & I did notice a new Trojan packet sitting on top of one of the housekeeping carts on the way out which we thought was strange. If you found that in someone’s room, wouldn’t you just throw it out? So, I don’t know if they took these things to use themselves or if they were too busy talking and just dumped whatever was on the tray into the garbage. Who knows?
After we got home, we did receive an email from one of the hotel managers apologizing for the housekeeping issue and it’s nice when management does acknowledge a compliment or complaint. Would we stay there again? Sure. But, I would make sure that whatever you want to keep, you lock up tight.

Room Tip: Odd-numbered rooms on 2nd floor face I-84.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review on our hotel. We value all feedback! I am glad you enjoyed some of our great amenities, such as our HD TV's, complimentary wireless internet and smoke-free rooms! We are also very proud of our helpful and accommodating staff.

We have a great in-house restaurant, the Great American Grill, which offers a hot, cooked to order buffet daily, as well as room service, lounge service and dinner nightly. I hope you have the chance to enjoy our restaurant on your next stay!

We do have a great location, right off the highway with a plaza next door with a Starbucks, mexican restaurant, pizza restaurant, pharmacy, package store and gas station. We are set back from the highway quite a bit with a local road in between us, but we are always happy to accommodate requests for rooms facing the wooded area of the building.

All of our rooms were outfitted with new bedding last summer. We are proud to offer our Garden Sleep System bedding in all rooms. Each bed has a dial on the matress to "turn up" the firmness or "turn down" the softness to suit the individual comfort of each guest. All rooms do have a shearling mattress pad which is removable.

I do apologize for the shortage of bath supplies in your room! Our housekeeping staff is always happy to provide any extra amenities desired upon request. Our housekeeping staff is very diligent when cleaning rooms and they do remove everything that may seem intended to be discarded, so I do apologize for that. I am glad you were able to speak to a manager while here as we always want to be sure our guests have a pleasant stay.

I hope that you will give us another try when passing through the area so that we can WOW you!

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Danbury? Share your experiences!