“beautiful lobby, lack of amenities” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ethan Allen Hotel

You added Ethan Allen Hotel to your Saves list
Ethan Allen Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21 Lake Avenue Extension, I-84 at Exit 4, Danbury, CT 06811   |
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Danbury
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stamford, Connecticut
“beautiful lobby, lack of amenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We stayed at the Ethan Allen Inn for a weekend getaway. Danbury mall as well as some nice restaurants are located closeby. The hotel is big with long, beautiful bright hallways leading to the rooms, and a light-flooded, mansion-esque lobby which suggest a top class hotel and reminded me of the Waldorf in NYC (but smaller, of course). We were surprised that the front desk staff seemed a little stressed out, or cold. The rooms are a really good value since they are big and clean with a separate seating area, however the lack of amenities was striking: no microwave or refrigerator in the room, the ice vending machine in the hallway was broken, and no free coffee in the lobby in the morning!! Besides, the walls and doors are very thin and everything that is spoken in the room can be heard in the hallway. However, the hotel was very quiet in general, especially during the day.Plus thee outdoor pool is tiny. The food we ordered via room service was very good and the ac was working well. All in all, however, i would say it was a memorable stay just because of the hotel size size, nice lobby and overall traditional style.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Bloomfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

BACKGROUND

I stayed one night at this hotel in conjunction with a meeting. I really did not spend very much time there, but I thought it was perfectly good if you have a reason to be in the area.

This hotel is apparently owned by the Ethan Allen furniture purveyor and is thus decked out in their merchandise. While I am not really a fan of the colonial style it was tasteful and in good repair.

When I arrived, there was a bit of a struggle to locate my (Orbitz) reservation, but the receptionist (Chris) was courteous and kept me engaged as he checked in various places. After a few questions he either located it or rebuilt the record. Delay was not more than a few minutes.

LAYOUT

The ground floor of the hotel is a large open square with a pool in the center surrounded by guest rooms. In addition there is a "tower" six floors high towards the back of the structure. The tower (and thus the elevators) are a long walk from the lobby so those who do not feature a long commute may wish to request a room on the ground floor closer to the entrances.

Meeting and banquet rooms are in the back of the hotel beyond the lobby and -- as mentioned -- there is a conservatory type area which is a nice place to relax.

ROOM

I had a 350-square-foot suite (they have a variety of room sizes and configurations) which was about $89 plus tax, and when I saw it I was surprised it had been so cheap. This would have been considered a deluxe room in many hotels. The door opened into a sitting room with a sofa, chair and desk, television, coffee setup, etc. The only downside if there was one to this room is that it was windowless and -- even with the curtains open in the adjoining bedroom -- dark.

The bedroom itself had a king-sized bed and large TV credenza. About the only thing I could find fault with was a shortage of electrical outlets. Everyone brings things (phone, camera, etc.) they need to charge overnight these days and it would be nice to be able to do that without disturbing the furniture. I was okay but if you had the four adults this room is touted to accommodate, they would have been looking for a power strip.

Wireless Internet was provided and in fact there were a number of routers competing for my business, I suppose due to the large footprint of the hotel.

The bathroom was spotless although there was some sort of poltergeist in the drain which made a helicopter noise that I was concerned would wake my neighbors. Very nice Gilchrist and Soames amenities were provided along with plenty of towels.

FOOD

I did not eat in the restaurant but ordered a sandwich in the bar late in the evening while having an informal session with my group. The bartender had a certain sternness to him but he was certainly attentive. The food was certainly acceptable if not memorable.

DRINK

There is a bar in the lobby, which I got the sense we kept open later than usual. Drink prices were a little high for a suburban hotel but not enough to raise a New Yorker's eyebrows.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

I stayed at the Ethan Allen for 4 nights while attending the Connecticut Film Festival in May 2010. Everything about my stay was great. The staff was pleasant, but not saccharine; the restaurant and events had the place lively, but not crowded. The rooms are clean and well furnished, though (obviously, being the Ethan Allen hotel) it's kind of an older style that didn't appeal to my personal aesthetic.

I didn't have a car (took planes and trains between San Francisco and the NJ/NY/CT tri-state area), so the complimentary shuttle was a lifesaver and a standout service in an area where I otherwise would have had trouble getting around.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

Upon arrival and check-in we found the front desk clerk to be unfriendly and not welcoming in the least. SInce we were coming to CT for a job interview for my husband this didn't really create a positive impression of the area. We asked for a recommendation of a nice seafood restaurant in the area upon which she told us that she only knew of Italian restaurants which was not what we wanted. Upon further thought she came up with the recommendation of "Red Lobster" which I would hardly say was local to the area. The staff throughout our visit was not helpful or warm and didn't seem to care if we needed anything at all. In fact they seemed annoyed when we asked.
The room was spacious and had a sitting area separated from the bed by a half wall which was nice. The furnishings and decor in the room were not nearly as current or upscale as one might expect since the hotel is owned by a well-known furniture company and did not reflect the level of taste found in the Ethan Allen stores by any means. It was much more of the typical mid-level hotel. The room and the bathroom were very clean so that was a positive. The bed was not very inviting with the typical old-fashioned hotel quilted bed covering and the sheets were positively AWFUL! They were stiff and rough and we joked about how they resembled sandpaper. It was very unpleasant. The TV was small and old and the reception was fuzzy. Also, we could not get the sleep timer to work.
We ordered room service twice and it was fair. The first day the croissants were hard and the second day they forgot our oj and milk and had to come back with them. Also, we couldn't even order room service until 7:30 on Saturday which annoyed us since we were up early and wanted to get going. On a positive note the coffee maker in the room brewed each cup individually and was great. It would be nice if they had fridge and a microwave in the room though.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

Ethan Allen in Danbury, CT is near Patterson, NY where I have friends.
Staff were attentive & pleasant.
The room was large, 2 double beds, dresser, desk, nightstand, table, armchair & still plenty of room to move around. There were ample toiletries.
I least liked: Saturday night there was a party -wedding? Hallway conversations came thru kind of loud.
I liked best: hotel looked very classy - I felt relaxed & safe. good/convenient location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

good location, but the hotel is overrated. room looked like it had seen better days. old room, good location, over priced. find another place.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on Christmas night. My sister also booked a room, one of the VIP suites and the rooms were identical with the exception that the VIP suite had a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Our room actually appeared larger since the wall dividing the sitting room and bedroom was in a different place. Overall, they were the same square footage and decorated identically.

My room, 164... was as far away from the front desk as possible. Don't know if it was because I checked in with my 5 month old son or not but it was quite inconvenient. Also, the door to our room SLAMMED shut every single time. The remote control to the TV in the sitting room did not work as well. Oh, and the desk clerk had us go the long way to get to our room. We basically did a lap of the ground floor and later realized he could have sent us a shorter way. We had a baby, car seat and luggage so it would have been nice to get to our room sooner.

On a positive note... the pillows were soft and the bed was very comfortable. The continental breakfast was nice, small pastries and the like but my husband and brother in law said the coffee was terrible. I had the tea and it was fine.

Overall, I would probably stay here again due to the how convenient it is to I-84, Danbury Fair Mall and my mother's home.

• Liked — comfy bed, continental breakfast
  • Disliked — slamming door,crappy coffee, no remote for tv
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ethan Allen Hotel? Share your experiences!