“Much improved” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ethan Allen Hotel

Save Saved
You added Ethan Allen Hotel to your Saves list
Ethan Allen Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21 Lake Avenue Extension, I-84 at Exit 4, Danbury, CT 06811   |
Ranked #6 of 14 hotels in Danbury
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Much improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here for Thanksgiving night 2011 and wrote a mediocre review. Decided to stay again this year (Thanksgiving 2012) and am more impressed. Rooms are unusually well-appointed for such an inexpensive venue, and very clean. Bed was very comfortable, shower was fine. The lobby is huge and elegant. Staff was friendly and professional. My only complaint was that I couldn't connect my laptop to their wireless internet (connection kept timing out). We had no trouble connecting on our iPad though. Will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay in wing behind the conference rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TripJanice, General Manager at Ethan Allen Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Ed,

Thank you for choosing the Ethan Allen Hotel in Danbury, CT! We appreciate your business and welcome your feedback.

We are delighted you returned to our hotel in 2012 and discovered we improved. We are glad you enjoyed our well appointed and clean guest rooms and found our staff both professional and friendly. We pride ourselves on hiring and retaining the "best" employees in the market.

We apologize our wireless internet was not working properly during your stay. Rest assured, this is not the norm and has been rectified.

Once again Ed, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please feel free to call me directly at (203) 448-7100 so I may personally assist you with your reservations.

Best,

Janice Perna-Nicholas

281 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The staff are very friendly and professional. The rooms are kept very clean. The beds are very comfortable, which is something we have not found in other hotels. The lobby is very lovely. We stay there every time my husband and I go to visit his parents. Some people have stated that the decor is outdated. It is not that bad. The TV's are outdated, but we are not there to watch tv, so that is Ok

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sharon,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Ethan Allen Hotel! We appreciate your business and welcome your feedback.

We are thrilled you had a very nice stay and ranked us 5 out 5 for overall service! We are pleased you found our staff both friendly and professional; our rooms clean and the beds comfortable.

We recentely renovated the entire first floor of the hotel and all meeting space and delighted you like it. Please know our guest room renovation will begin in February and we can't wait for you to see it!

sharon, the next time you plan to return to Danbury, please contact me directly so I may personally assist you with your reservations. Thanks again!

Best,
Janice Perna-Nicholas
Brandon, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stay at the Ethan Allen Hotel each summer on our way to and from Bar Harbor. It is very clean and has the most comfortable beds on the eastern seaboard! We love the current Georgian style and hope the updates are similar. Great, friendly staff. Really nice event rooms (I asked for a tour). We haven't eaten there, as I am from the area and we have our favorites. Always a comfortable night's sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside(poolside) corridor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Deborah,

Thank you for choosing the Ethan Allen Hotel! We truly appreciate your business and welcome your feedback.

We are delighted you tagged us as "Clean & Comfortable" and rated us 5 out of 5 for overall service!!!

We are thrilled to provide you with a good night's sleep, "best on the Eastern Seaboard"! We are further pleased you like our Ethan Allen furnishings; found our staff both wonderful & helpful and liked our newly renovated spaces.

The next time you plan on returning to Danbury, please contact me directly so I may personally assist you. Deb, thank you for choosing the Ethan Allen Hotel - we look forward to welcoming you back again soon and often!

Best, Janice Perna-Nicholas
White Plains, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I attended a party at the Ethan Allen hotel and stayed the night as the room was a good price and it made the party much more enjoyable knowing I didn’t have to drive home. The lobby is nice and appears updated and the room we were in for the party was also good, but the rooms themselves leave a little to be desired. The lighting was terrible-they definitely need to add some extra light fixtures-it was hard to get ready and put on make-up with the limited amount of light we had. The furniture looks worn out and I expected nicer furniture for an Ethen Allen hotel. The TVs are OLD, I’m talking one that looked like it was from the late 80’s (in the sitting area of the room) and another that looked like it was from the mid 90’s. The TV from the 90s was off-color, the reception was shaky and the channel selection is limited-we didn’t even attempt to put on the older TV. There’s free wifi but my signal wasn’t very strong and was cutting in and out. The positives of the room were that it was clean and it was pet-friendly (I was sharing the room with a family member that brought a dog) and it was hard to tell that pets are even allowed in there, as there were no pet-like smells and it appeared to be like any other non-pet room. I don’t know if I would go there for a special occasion or a get-away but it was definitely great for staying over after a party and the price made it a good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Holliston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just came back from a weekend there for a show. Beds are simply the BEST....rooms are a bit outdated but they are working on that. Our king size bed with seating area was exceptionally clean. Are these beds available for purchase in the store? Only had 2 disappointments....no robes in room as advertised and I had ironed the first morning there...left ironing board up because I could not close it ...when cleaning people came in they did not close and put away but left in the middle of the room. I think that should have been part of the cleanup. Food this trip was plentiful and better than the last few years...2 years ago they had run out. Staff we had for the show was very attentive and helpful. Love the renovations that have been completed. Will be back next year!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Avon, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

First, let me say that the personnel couldn't have been nicer- front desk,bar, restaurant. The lobby and public areas have recently been renovated and are very functional and appealing. A room renovation is in the process. Our handicap room was shabby. A double bed for two individuals.
The bathroom was a significant zero. I called the week before our arrival and was assured that the room had a walk-in shower anda handicap toilet.Well,no walk-in shower nor handicap toilet Once, your standing in the tub which only has low grab bars on the wall for bathtub usage. You need assistance to get out.----nothing to hold onto.Should you use an electric razor you need a long cord since the plug is approx. three feet away. There is no counter space at the sink. There is a small stand near the door that contains --kleenex, hair blower etc. You have to bend low to retrieve. It also houses two glasses (by no means am I an expert on handicap orchestration). It does seem to me, however that an individual with walking issues could easily knock the stand over smashing the glasses.

These concerns may sound trivial but not to an individual who requires caution.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Recently stayed over a weekend with family. We had two rooms. One was a standard double which was clean and comfortable with two double beds. Television in the room was an older (non-flat screen) that worked well but with limited channels. The second room was a "suite" that included two double beds and a separate "room" (that was really just the alcove as you came into the room) with a sofa that converted to a single bed. It was a very nice feature (for the same price as the first room with two double beds) and allowed us to comfortably sleep our college age son. Family did not eat breakfast in the restaurant but my husband did and said it was a limited buffet not worth the $10 charge. The kids and I ate happily and comfortably at the Duncan Donuts and McDonald's that were just across the street from the hotel. Parking was free and adequate. There was an exercise room and pool but we didn't use either so I can't evaluate. It is a very convenient location -- near the large Danbury Mall with many stores and eateries -- about a 7-minute drive. Cleaning staff was pleasant and helpful. The bar was lively at night - but not fancy. Just a bar, a few tables and room to dance to recorded music. It was small and a little too noisy for us. Several nice seating areas in the lobbies (one in front, one in back). This wouldn't be the hotel for a special getaway - more a serviceable location for visiting family in the area, or a brief stop on your way to another location. I did see but did not use a business center - so it may be a good choice for business travelers as well.

Room Tip: If traveling with a family, request the suite with the pull-out single bed. It's a nice feature...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ethan Allen Hotel? Share your experiences!