“Awful and overpriced!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cornwall Bridge
New Jersey
“Awful and overpriced!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

One of the worst motels I've stayed in. For starts, to check in, we had to press a buzzer to be allowed into the so-called office. The room had two double beds, as we requested, but the big disappointed was the bathroom. A room that appeared to be approximately 2 feet by 4 feet had a toilet and a tiny shower shoved into it. The sink was in another area sharing space with the closet. That evening when we returned to the room, we found the same guy who had checked us in, who may or may not be the proprietor, in our room hooking up a portable heater. He told us the heat wasn't working, that it might be fixed by the next day. It wasn't. Fortunately for us, we did not spend much time in this room. A problem for the traveler who wants to stay in this immediate area is that this place is the only motel. My suggestion is to find a place a bit farther away, perhaps a bed and breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I'm very thankful for this little place called Hitching Post Motel. It has allowed me to get out of manic New york City and escape to beautiful Litchfield County (while living on a tight budget).

This is a great find because we all know how expensive this area can be.

There are no perks or luxuries. The rooms are older but have all the basics: bed, bathroom, a/c, heater, tv, fridge and microwave.

If you come out to enjoy a good hike, skiing or town-hopping on a small budget give this place a try.

Tips:
- Get snacks and drinks to bring back to the room in the evenings.
- Ask for an extra blanket in cooler months
- Bring instant coffee. A great plus for the morning as there is a microwave

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

This is always a great place to stay with easy access to all the local areas and activities. The family that runs the motel is very nice and they go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. The rooms are being renovated and include a flat screen HDTV and private bathroom. The beds are comfortable and the rooms also have refrigerators which is helpful. There is free WIFI which runs at good speeds. Basic facilities with great service and a great location make this a comfortable choice.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

At over $100 for the night you would expect to have a decent shower. The shower is very small and the water temp could not be regulated. The room is very small. The price mentioned at check in turned out to be higher when we checked out. Beware!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I'm generally a supporter of roadside motels, especially independent ones, finding they often offer a great value and more personality than your standard mega chain. However, I was disappointed with my stay at the Hitching Post. The room was incredibly small, the dark carpeting was old and smelled musty, and the bathroom was cramped. The place was so tight on space that the sink and mirror was in what appeared to be a former closet on the other side of the room from the bathroom.

For an outrageously expensive weekend rate of $120, it was a rip-off.

Just to be fair, I should say that the front-desk person, who may be the owner, was incredibly friendly. Too bad the property was so grim.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Framingham, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

There was no online booking for this hotel so I filled out the online form to find out price, availability, etc. I did not receive a call back until later the following morning and as my trip was only the next day had already booked elsewhere. The person I spoke with started asking me why I had booked elsewhere. When I tried to explain I had needed to abook a place immediately she stated 'well why did you bother sending us an email'. To which I replied 'sorry to have bothered you - it won't happen again' and then she answered 'ok'. Not only will I make sure to never bother her again with my own reservation questions - I will complete a review so others won't bother her either.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

I reserved 5 rooms at this motel for family to stay in who were visiting from the UK for my wedding, and I was told the booking was fine and all confirmed. However, apparently the "reservation" was merely written down on a scrap piece of paper... lo and behold, this paper was "lost" and I received a phone call 2 WEEKS BEFORE MY WEDDING stating that there is no existing reservation and that the motel is now full. This left me with the impossible task of trying to accommodate 13 people for one night in the middle of June around Lake Waramaug (without spending $400 per night).

• Stayed June 2009

Been to Hitching Post Country Motel? Share your experiences!