“Many happy returns” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Colebrook B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Many happy returns”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

This was our second visit to Rock Hall (first was in July 2010). Stella and Michael are wonderful hosts. The house and grounds are beautiful. The area has activities all year round. Stella and Michael suggested some wonderful restaurants and activities. We had a wonderful relaxing time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Hillsborough, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

If you are looking to retreat from the pressures of everyday life and relax in elegant comfort in an early 20th century estate, have I got the place for you!
My wife and I celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary at Rock Hall Bed & Breakfast in Colebrook, Connecticut this weekend and it was everything I hoped this special occasion would be. Rock Hall is an impressive stone and stucco manor, set on 22 park-like acres in Colebrook, CT in the northwest part of the state. As you pass through the large wrought iron gates with the words "Rock Hall" affixed on them, you get the feeling you’re entering a special place. Further up the gravel drive you wind under majestic trees and pass the private apple orchard and tennis courts. Finally, around the circular drive at the front of the house, the house appears sitting up high in its entire splendor. You suddenly get the feeling you’ve been taken back in time. Back to a nostalgic time, a time that F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote about in the Great Gatsby. Rock Hall is a gem and not at all what you think about when you think B&B.
Our hosts and inn keepers, Stella and Michael Somers’ greeted us at the front door when we arrived and were gracious and attentive throughout the weekend. We walked up to our room and there waiting for us was a beautiful arrangement of red roses that I requested. I thought to myself it’s so nice to stay in a place where the inn keepers are so competent! The room I reserved was the original master bedroom with a spacious bathroom including a unique multidirectional shower original to the house. The king sized bed was extremely comfortable, soft and cozy making it difficult to get up in the morning! When my wife and I finally did awake and make my way downstairs to the dining room, we were rewarded with a first class breakfast. The table setting was elegant and the breakfast extraordinary including a variety of breads, artisan cheeses, granola, fruits, much of it obtained locally with flavors that beautifully complemented each other. My two favorite dishes were the freshly smoked trout and the frittatas filled with fresh ingredients like baby bok choi, tomatoes and goat cheese. All the cooking was expertly done by our host, Michael (including the smoked trout), while Stella engaged us and the rest of the guests at the table with interesting conversation all the while making sure we had what we needed.
After a morning of shopping and site seeing in the area, my wife and I returned to Rock Hall where we walked the beautiful grounds with the many specimen trees. Later we enjoyed a soothing and relaxing couple’s massage in our room arranged by our hosts. That evening we had dinner in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, a quintessential New England town with quant shops and restaurants. Topping off the evening we traveled to Norfolk, Connecticut to the Infinity Theater to attend a solo concert given by recording artist, Lucy Kaplansky. Lucy is a gifted and talented composer and guitarist and pianist with a delightful stage presence and my wife and I found her music thoughtful and performance very entertaining.
The next morning we awoke to another wonderful breakfast and said goodbye to our most gracious hosts Stella and Michael. As we left Rock Hall, Stella handed us a bag and encouraged us to go to the apple orchard on the property and pick some apples for the ride home to New Jersey.
I’ve stayed a many B&B’s throughout New England and I have to say my stay at Rock Hall was undoubtedly the finest experience I’ve had. Stella and Michael are passionate about Rock Hall and make sure that all who stay in this marvelous place have an unforgettable time. I whole heartedly recommend you visit Rock Hall in the near future for an unforgettable experience of your own. Thank you Stella and Michael for making our stay such a memorable one!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

This is a gorgeous early 20th Century summer "Cottage" (most of us would call it a mansion) on 23 beautifully manicured grounds with large free-form in ground swimming pool, in Colebrook, CT, close to the Yale summer music school and festival in Norfolk. The location is also reasonable distance from Tanglewood and other cultural attractions of the southern Berkshires. The hosts, Mike and Stella Somers are lively, engaging and hospitable. Mike, a former investment banker, is also a gourmet chef and makes delicious homemade gravlax which he serves at their sumptuous breakfast. The house is filled with marvelous architectural detail, tastefully decorated and furnished. This is an idea spot for a romantic restful getaway, just two plus hours from New York City. Tremendous value! We would recommend it

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Rock Hall this week and loved it! The house is absolutely beautiful, the decorating is outstanding. The house is full of things to do, fitness room, movie room, billiard room, game room, etc. Our bedroom was just spectacular and the grounds are beautiful as well, great pool, tennis courts and walking trail.
Michael, the owner, was one of the nicest hosts we've ever encountered at an inn. He made us great cocktails and the best guacamole we've ever had! We really enjoyed talking with him, he's very interesting.
Awesome breakfast, again, the best we've ever had at an inn. Healthy and delicious.
A stay at this inn is a must!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

The term "bed and breakfast" does not do Rock Hall justice. It would be like calling Times Square as merely the intersection of Broadway and 7th Avenue. Especially the bed in Chamber 2, which is so soft and luxurious and the breakfast that is meticulously prepared in a grand dining room under a tremendous chandelier. Our group of women chose Rock Hall to celebrate our birthdays. Our expectations were far exceeded by the scale and luxury of the estate. We had the entire run of the mansion, from the billiard room to the screening room, complete with old school style popcorn and candy. The fireplace is so large that we all fit INSIDE! What a perfect setting for late afternoon cocktails and snacks lovingly prepared by the innkeepers. Stella and Michael made sure that every aspect of our stay was perfect, from our restaurant selections to spa appointments. Take your girlfriends and plan your visit to Rock Hall for a girls' weekend you will never forget! I am hoping to visit again in the summer to take advantage of the inground, heated pool and hot tub plus tennis courts. What B&B has all this??? And no hotel has this level of personal service! Book your rooms and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

We have had the pleasure of staying at Rock Hall for both summer and winter weekends. Everything said previously is true and more. The accommodations are luxurious and tastefully done, the grounds are magnificent summer and winter, the service provided by hosts Michael and Stella both professional and friendly, and the breakfast unique and delicious. Whether you want to swim, ski, antique, shop in Berkshires, watch a movie in the in-house theater room, listen to music in town or just sit by the fire and read, Rock Hall is a great place to stay. For everything Rock Hall offers, it is priced fairly compared to most other comparable places.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

Many times when I have stayed in bed and breakfasts I have been disappointed by the overly cute atmosphere. This a historic property that has been lovingly restored with a restrained hand. Run quite professionally, the welcome is warm but I did not feel like I was staying n someones house. furniture, sheets, amenities were all of the highest quality. We feel asleep to a roaring fire at our feet in our spacious room. I'd love to see the extensive grounds and pool in the warmer months!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Been to Rock Hall Luxe Lodging? Share your experiences!