“Favorite Breakfast Place!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Lebanon, Connecticut
“Favorite Breakfast Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

It feels like you're in your aunt's kitchen. Everything is fresh, everything is tasty. There are characters sitting at the counter as they read their paper bantering with the cook and waitress. It just feels like home.

It is an old home... it has it's charm and its quirks. It could use some freshening up but it is always clean and always friendly.

Visited October 2012

Colchester, Connecticut
“Solid and simple. Fine tuned by years of experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is a classic working class diner. Simple and honest. Eat with hard working Colchester folks as they prepare for their day. All the standards and basics are represented on the menu here and they open very early. This is the only game in town for a diner-style breakfast.

Visited December 2012
Colchester, Connecticut
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Service is awful unless you eat theere regularly. Place is dirty, but draws a good crowd ? ? Price is right.That gets them one pt. rating

Visited January 2012
Glastonbury, Connecticut
“Eat local, but not always”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Sorry Peg. I was new in town and rushed in for a quick breakfast. Peg's does appear to be that small-town vintage diner where everybody knows your name.

I was famished, and the service was very attentive. Coffee was served right away and I wasted no time ordering eggs, bacon and toast. As I waited the short time for my meal I took a moment to look over the interior. Vintage = good....Lack of cleanliness = bad. I will admit, I place a huge amount of judgement on the cleanliness and upkeep of a place I am trusting to feed me without ending hooked up to an IV with my intestines cleared out.

I cannot place my trust in Peg's. I'm all for vintage, but this was just poor upkeep and lack of a really good and necessary cleaning. I will say the place was hopping for a mid-week morning and all seemed to be regulars but me. When my breakfast came, I ate few bites and then left quickly assuring the waitress I just wasn't as hungry as I thought I was. And this was certainly true after examining the surroundings.

The food was average enough to be a dependable breakfast stop; but not with a good sanitizing. Sometimes when you've been in a place so long, you don't really see it anymore and that may be the issue with Peg's and the regulars. Take it from an outsider, clean it up Peg.

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Cheap good food but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Food was your typical greasy diner. The plus side is that the prices are good, portions are large and staff is very friendly. Downside is that it's very bare bones, both in terms of menu and furnishings. It could use a bit of a deep cleaning and some new furniture. Our coffee was strong but the misses said it had a cigarette taste to it. My eggs however were very tasty, as was the bacon and toast. In the end I don't think it was enough on plus side to draw us back anytime soon with other options around town.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere