“"Come "back" to 4 Styles Chicken!"” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #73 of 332 Restaurants in Bridgeport
Bridgeport, CT
“"Come "back" to 4 Styles Chicken!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stopped in for a quick bite, stayed awhile and I "have to come back!" It's a bit of the "Island" flavor in the food and in the service, makes you feel "real good!" I only ordered rice and peas and cabbage, but wit was served with lettuce tomato and fried plantains that were soooooo goooood!!
A small place, but big on service and taste! I plan to try some of the fish and if it's anything like the meal I had, it's got to be good! My friend had the oxtails and rice and he loved every morsel!
As often as I've passed by, I'm glad I finally checked them out! If you want a good meal, with good flavor and at a good price, try them out and I'm sure you'll also be saying, "I've got to go back to 4 Styles Chicken! Maybe I'll see you there!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Martinsville, Indiana
“Hard to find, looks like a neighborhood dive, but the food and service, GREAT!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I found this place with my GPS while visiting the Shelton, Connecticut area. I typed in "chicken" as a search code for Restaurants, and was intrigued with the name: "4 Styles Chicken."
Upon finding this restaurant (and it is not far off a main drag, so it's not that hard to find) I entered to find the owner and one other person.
Originally, I thought: "Oh, my. No customers." But it was rather late.
Then I took one of the menus (this was going to be a "take away" order) and noted that there was only one type of chicken listed. I asked: "What are the 4 Styles?"
To my amazement, I found that this was a Caribbean-focused eatery. The owner told me that she had curried goat this evening. (One of my favorites!) She then proceeded to tell me about the "brown chicken."
This delicious chicken is first fried, then braised in s succulent brown gravy with wonderful spices- and none too "spicy." I am a real weenie when it comes to super spicy food, and indeed, some Caribbean cuisine takes that flavor.
Not this. It was absolutely great!
These (the goat and the chicken) were served with white rice in rather surprisingly large portions. There was a vegetable included, and I cannot place it. Perhaps julienne and sauteed jicama? Whatever, the combination was truly well worth not only the trip, but the finding of this non-mainstream restaurant. It's a gem!
Oh, they did have one Jamaican meat pie left from the day, and I passed on this. The owner of 4 Styles Chicken said that she usually has pork, chicken, and beef pies.
There was a vegetable offering, and varying types of shrimp dishes.
I'll be back.
But when you go, don't go looking for a high-class joint. Just a place that serves really good, really filling, really tasty, and really "realistic" Caribbean cuisine.
For the take-away orders of curried goat and brown chicken?
$16.00.
The owner had trouble getting my credit cards to go through the card reader. I "suspect" that cash is the best form of commerce.

• Visited November 2012