“Pub atmosphere but very pricey” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Milford, Connecticut
“Pub atmosphere but very pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Went to BPH for the first time last night as someone's guest. Menu has typical pub fare items like meatloaf, burgers, salads, sandwiches, soups and something that caught my eye - fish and chips. To say I was somewhat disappointed is an understatement. There were three good size pieces of fish but the batter wasn't crisp, it was more doughy, but the fish itself was excellent. The fish was topping a cruet of french fries on an oversized plate that had a red and white check paper covering. To cut the fish you had to put it on the paper, not a problem until you tried to cut the fish and the rubbery texture of the batter made it really hard to get a clean cut and ended up tearing the paper. The side of cole slaw also came on the paper rather than in a bowl. I'm not a big fan of having my food not served in or on plates but it was tasty. The fries were unedible. They were overcooked and hard. For $17 I expected much better quality. Maybe I caught the chef on a bad day since there seemed to be a rather large party on the other side of the restaurant so they may have been overwhelmed. My friend ordered the mac and cheese special. Kind of looked like something grandma used to cook, a homey comforting dish which she said was very good. The atmosphere of the restaurant was very nice. Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing on the wrong night but when most of the dinner selections are $17 and up, I doubt I'll go back. The deserts were very good, but again way overpriced. A piece of cheesecake - $7 and chocolate mousse served in a tall glass also $7. For those prices I'll go to a steak house and get a nice filet mignon.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Nice spot to go with your loved one...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The food was tasty. Very comfy. Chicken and waffles good Mac and cheese with a kick and salad was great. Grown up atmosphere

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Haven, Connecticut
“Great Local Beer Selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stopped here on a Friday night for dessert. My wife and I shared the pumpkin cheesecake and brownie sundae, while I also enjoyed a couple of local CT brews in the bottle. Good atmosphere and a good location. I didn't realize that downtown Bridgeport was relevant anymore, but there is a bit of a resurgence here, and the Barnum Publick House is at the center of it all.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Connecticut
“Attentive bar staff - Very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stopped for dinner prior to a show at Webster Bank Arena. The place was booked with reservations, so we sat at the bar. The bar was very comfortable and attractive. The bartender was excellennt. Ther was also another in training who was doing his best while learning. We started with the house made chips and sour cream dip. They were very good to munch on while we enjoyed our drinks and decided what to order. We both started dinner with Tomato soup which was excellent. The best I have tasted. My wife had the meatloaf which was good - not great. I tasted it and liked it better than she. I had the braised short ribs stroganoff. The noodles were homemade and perfectly cooked. The meat was very tender and delicious. Really enjoyed it. The prices were reasonable especially considering the quality of the food.

Bridgeport, Connecticut
“Food Circus!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

This is our favorite local haunt. The burgers are incredible, the menu super kid-friendly (corndogs), and the beer flowing. If you're lucky enough to be in town on a Sunday, hit the brunch at BPH: have a bottomless make-it-yourself Bloody Mary, order the chicken and waffles and call it a beautiful day. Rob, Tom, Justin, Ashleigh, and the entire crew rock.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere