“Don't waste your time or money” 1 of 5 stars

860- 828-3571
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Entertaining clients, Bar scene, Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: At The Hawthorne, it's the cuisine that brings guests to us from far-and-wide! With Patrons from all over New England we strive to offer the very best in dinner faire, including a variety of beef from the grill and succulent seafood items. Our extensive wine menu wonderfully compliments our vast array of beef, poultry, seafood and more. With a variety of dining options our guests are able to enjoy a meal in their cozy booth or reserve a private table. Searching for the ultimate private dining experience? Request our Wine Cellar Room to enjoy fine dining in a gorgeous brick walled room with chandelier lighting and rustic decor. For even more privacy contact us to book one of our 12 private function rooms seating any amount of guests between 8 and 350. We work with you to make your dining experience special and unique!
Hartford, Connecticut
“Don't waste your time or money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The other night The Hawthorne Inn in Berlin CT crossed the line of a restaurant. It started going bad shortly after we were seated to find out items on the menu online were not available and some for quite a long time. Mainly the Wedge Salad which believe it or not, was the reason we picked this place over Mill on the River because my wife loves the Wedge. It took over 30 minutes for the Appetizer of Fried Mozzarella to arrive. I am certain it was over 30 minutes because it was an additional 25 minutes after I looked at the time because it was taking so long. The kitchen could not have been backed up as there were only 6 other tables and they had 3 servers. The cheese looked good, but as soon as we cut into one, we realized that they were cold. No oozing cheese. The server, Abigail, who was nice, but not a great server, came by to ask how it was. We were honest. She asked if we wanted to send it back and one thing we have not done in well over a decade was send food back. We told the server that we prefer not to send things back and we would just take them home for our kids. Then the meals came. I ordered the Prime Rib because they are “famous” for their prime rib and my wife ordered the Spaghetti, meatballs and sausage. My prime rib also came out cold and had very little flavor, just a little salt and pepper around the edge. But, I was hungry. I did not have a scale with me but I also doubt it was 20 oz when the 12 oz ones I get from Chicago Sams are always much larger. My wife's meal was completely awful. The meatballs lacked any flavor, they were like eating a round hamburger with no seasoning. The sausage was cold and not tasty at all and the pasta was extremely starchy.
Here is where they crossed the line. Abigail came walking to our table with the Chef. I thought that was nice that he was concerned enough to come out and apologize for a less than tolerable meal, but right after Abigail said, “This is Chef Anthony”, he started laying into us about not wanting to send our food back. He came out in attack mode. He was rude, offensive, and very unprofessional. Even if we were wrong, he should not have come out like that. Abigail tried 3 times to get him to shut up and walk back to the kitchen. I just said, “we’ll take the check now” and my wife threw in, “and send the manager over”. Both the Manager and Abigail were extremely sorry for the Chef’s behavior and offered to comp Laurie’s Pasta. We said that was not necessary as we were also going to take that home for the kids. But, now that I am thinking about it, we should have walked out of there without paying for anything after being treated like that.
The next day, I was still very upset. I called the restaurant and asked to speak to the general manager who happened to be the manager that was on the night before (so he said). He said he was sorry but that was about it. I asked that the Chef either calls, emails or mails me an apology. It has been one week and nothing.
Feel free to go there if you dare, but if you do not like the food, you better not say anything or you may be berated bye an angry chef.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Farmington, Connecticut
“Bar 2421”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Everyone knows by now that the food at this place is below average. What had been great over the last many months, however, was the bands playing at Bar 2421. They were packing the place in every single Saturday night even though they still have inferior food and refuse to reintroduce the bar menu. Now come to find out they messed up their entertainment contract and no longer have bands on Saturdays; are you kidding me? The one thing they had going right they managed to mess up. New ownership seems to have no clue whatsoever on how to run this place.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dear Dan,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review on the Bar 2421. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our bands throughout the year. Due to the summer being the slow season and many bands choosing to perform at bigger venues it was mutual decision between the entertainment company and ownership not to have any bands till the month of September. The ownership has continued to bring in the best bands available and will do the same starting back in September. In September we will be introducing a new bar menu filled with appetizers and small plates for our customers to enjoy each and every Saturday while dancing, and listening to the band. I am sorry to hear that you feel our food is below average, I would love for you to come down to the Hawthorne Inn and try our new menu which will still features the Prime Rib as well as the lobster special. Next time you are in please ask for Ali and I will make sure that your visit is fabulous and as pleasant as possible. Thanks once again for voicing your concerns. I look forward to seeing you at the Hawthorne Inn.
Poinciana, Florida
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Had dinner here last night July 5 and was very disappointed. There were few cars in the parking lot and It is not the Hawthorne of years past. After we had been there a while and had our drinks, we were informed that there was no prime rib and no lobster this evening.

The Hawthorne was known for its prime rib. We won't be going back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear Donna,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review about your recent visit at the Hawthorne Inn. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the food, and had an unpleasant visit. Due to the popularity of the prime rib and lobsters on that particular day we did sell out of those items both items that we get in fresh every single day. I would love for you to come back and enjoy our famous Prime Rib and and Lobsters. Every Monday we have a .99 cent per oz special for the prime rib and we would love to have you in for that. Once again thank for your review, we will do everything possible to make your next visit as pleasant as possible.
Connecticut
“Uneven food service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I went to the Hawthorne Inn for dinner and to listen to the lounge band after. His meal was fantastic. Mine was terrible. The lounge after was a terrific experience with a smoking band (MassConnFusion) and a great atmosphere with people dancing and enjoying the night. Next time we'll skip dinner and just take in the dancing in the lounge. The restaurant's spiffed up renovation is attractive and we felt comfortable in the venue.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dear Noreen,
Thank you for coming in to enjoy our bands and taking time out of your day to write a review on the Hawthorne Inn. I am sorry to hear that our food service was uneven the day you came in to enjoy both a fabulous meal as well as the great band. I am sorry to hear that your meal was not as fantastic as your husbands, recently we have changed the menu and would love for you to come in and give our food another try. When you do plan on coming in please for me Ali in the front and I will do everything in my power to make sure you have an outstanding experience.
Meriden, Connecticut
“fine place to dine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

this place has great prime rib queen or king size also a banquet place a little bit pricey but well worth it

Syed B, Manager at Hawthorne Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience and would love to see you come back for our fabulous prime rib special on Mondays when each oz is 99 cents. Thank you once again for taking time out of your day to write such a wonderful review.