You added BEST WESTERN PLUS New England Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Haven, Connecticut
“Bed Bugs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I am really having a hard time with this review. My husband and i stayed here about 2 years ago and we were extremely pleased. This time, not so much. I awoke to two bedbugs traveling across my pillow. I put them in the ice bucket and we packed up and went to the front desk (4am!) I showed the clerk the ice bucket and told her to look inside. I told her I wanted my money back and that she should let the management know there is an issue. I know there has been a problem with these critters lately, I don't blame the hotel staff. She gave us a full refund and was extremely apologetic. 2/19/2012

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Great hotel....with microwave and refrigerator in rooms which made this very helpful when traveling with little ones. The hotel was super clean and the courteous staff made us feel right at home. My children (ages,1 and 3) really enjoyed the breakfast the next morning, especially the Belgium waffles! Overall, a great stay at a great value! Would definitely return!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Andover, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

We were in town for a wedding and booked the Best Western based on positive reviews. What a massive disappointment! We arrived between 20-30 minutes before check-in and without making eye-contact, greeting us, or even asking if we had a reservation, Bob the front desk clerk said there was no chance we would be getting into a room early and that it would be quite a while. We asked if any room was available as we needed to get ready for the wedding. Bob still has yet to make eye-contact or take his face away from his computer screen. Without answering us, he continued on his computer, then dealt with another guest, finally asking for our credit card and handing us a room key. This odd, rude, hello is still the highpoint of our stay. We appreciated the extra 15minutes in our room, but once we got off the elevator, the hallway had a strong odor of thick stale cigarette smoke. It was disgusting. Our room did not have the same odor, but our bathroom had a rank odor when the fan turned on. The bathroom was very clean, but we were given only one single bath towel and three face cloths. The room was outdated and dark, but clean enough. I did check the mattress and upholstry seams. I can't believe how much we paid to stay in such a rat hole. I have stayed in hostels in Eastern Europe that are better and even have more gracious hosts than this place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Stayed here with my husband & son on a college visit to Wesleyan. Nice exterior, lobby, breakfast area & room. Comfy beds & pillows, free wi-fi, friendly, helpful staff. Normal breakfast offerings. Small indoor pool. Nice & quiet & clean. No problem getting extra pillows. Would definitely stay here again. Yes, it was maybe a 15 minute drive from Middletown, but worth saving some money on.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quietest.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

My son and I stayed here on a visit to Wesleyan University. Although not in Middletown it was only a short drive away. Consistent with what other reviewers have had to say, this is an excellent hotel for the money. It was clean and in very good condition, had a helpful staff, good breakfast, the room was fine. Certainly if you are staying in the Hartford area and don't want to pay a lot of money you will probably not find a better place to stay.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Chino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Front Desk (Kimba) was friendly & helpful. She directed us to eateries nearby, but FYI, it's really a bit of a ways down the road. I guess "close" is a subjective word. Make a stop @ Stew Leonard (she recommended this place, as we needed to get juice for my 1 yr old son)--it's a really cool place to shop. Breakfast was good. They had eggs, muffins, bacon, sausage, waffles, juice, coffee, cereal, etc. The bathroom was fairly clean. We didn't have towels though, so I had to wait awhile at the front desk, to get the towels. Seems like they have towel shortage 'cause there were none at the pool as well. But Kimba was there to help, bringing us freshly dried towels. Their pool (although heated) needs some remodeling, if not upgrading. The walls of the pool seems like it's peeling---needs paint touch up---looks like dirt or mold in the pool.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

On the surface, the hotel was a step up normal Best Westerns and comparable to hotels like Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and others in terms of style and amenities. The staff were pleasant and the breakfast was comparable to other chains.

However, the room itself was not up to the standards of these others - although non-smoking, ours smelled of old smoke and had a dank, humid feel that the A/C didn't clear up. The carpets were worn and somewhat stained, and the high ceiling destroyed any feeling of coziness.

However, it was considerably less expensive than those other chains in the area, so I feel I received a good value for what I spent. Just don't expect it to be amazing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS New England Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!