“Simple, Clean, and affordable” 4 of 5 stars

Americas Best Value Sundowner Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   78869 US Hwy 40, Winter Park, CO 80482   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Winter Park
Denver, Colorado
“Simple, Clean, and affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We just stayed at the Sundowner Motel this past weekend, Friday and Saturday night, and I was pleasantly surprised. It was simple, but clean, older, but conveniently located next to Deno's and across the street from "the mall".

The staff was very polite, and placed our party of 8, in near by rooms. All and all, especially for the price, you can't beat The Sundowner.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor, so you're above others.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I had a great time at Winter Park and the Sundowner is the perfect place to stay if you are staying in town. I had a queen room. It is not large but was perfect for me. It had everything I needed and then some. It was clean and well lit, had a table and chairs, a desk, a microwave, fridge, plenty of room at the sink/bath areas. There was lots of quick hot water. The Sundowner has a pool and spa; I visited the hot tub each night. It does not offer a continental breakfast, but if you know this ahead of time you can plan accordingly. It is located right across the street from the shuttle bus stop to the mountain. it isn't the hotel's fault, but the shuttles don't seem to run frequently enough. I did find this inconvenient while carrying all my equipment. About two doors down is a great restaurant that I visited three evenings, Deno's Bistro. There is also a Subway close by. I would recommend the Sundowner.

Room Tip: I had a queen room on the ground level.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Bologna, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

The Sundowner offers exactly what I expect from a motel: excellent location in the heart of downtown, definitely clean rooms, friendly staff and very good rates. I spent at the end of september 2013 4 nights in two different rooms both located at the second floor and I have to admit that my stay was better than expected. Whenever it is possible I try to stay on a budget without giving up what I consider to be the basic comforts and the America Best Value Inn allowed me to do it. Beside the cleanliness my rooms offered plenty of space, fridge, microwave and coffee maker, exactly what I was needing. Despite I didn't use it I was surprised to find a large covered heated swimming pool, a rare treat in this motel range. Guests in the morning are offered a basic breakfast in the lobby offering coffee, juices and pastries. The only flaw I can mention is that the wi fi connection wasn't always working well. I have no doubt that the Sundowner will be my first choice when back to Winter Park. Would I recommend it? Definitely YES.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
stafford, va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had to leave our vacation lodge on the Big Thompson near Estes Park due to the flash flooding. Drove out over the mountains and ended up in Winter Park where we had to wing it for a room. The hotel is older but is well-maintained, clean and comfortable - not a Hilton or Marriot but for 59 dollars you couldn't beat the price. We had breakfast in town so can't comment on that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

As the name suggests, this did turn out to be a good value Hotel. We chose this hotel for it's location near the Rocky Mountains/Estes Park. The town is scenic and peaceful with good cool weather in the summer - when we visited. The hotel rooms were very well thought out and it had microwave and refrigerator (see photos). There is a hotel swimming poo but it appeared to have been covered over (maybe for maintenance). Rooms were clean and updated. Would surely stay hear again and recommended for family too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Barnhart, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had to leave our comfortable hotel in Estes Park in a hurry due to flash flooding. Decided to move on to Winter Park but we were not able to check TripAdvisor ratings for hotels there so just had to wing it. We asked to see the room before we checked in and the owner very graciously showed us the room and explained things to us. The hotel is older but is well-maintained, clean and comfortable. We paid for a two-night stay but after the first night decided to move on to Western Colorado because the weather just wasn't very good where we were. The owner refunded the charge for the second night's stay with a smile on his face and wished us well in our travels. You just don't get that kind of service with the big chain hotels.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, TX.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had stayed here in 02 and had a nice big room, very clean, courteous staff and right in the middle of the town. Again we had a pleasant stay. My buddy and I showed up early and stayed a day longer just so we could soak some extra R&R before our friends met up with us. The owners were great hosts and the whole place only got better over the years. Nice trees and flowering plants along with the migrating hummingbird's were just a nice touch. I give an A+++. I'll make this my exclusive place to stay in Winter Park, Co.

Room Tip: Dino's Bistro is 2 doors up the block and has excellent atmosphere and food and drinks
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Americas Best Value Sundowner Motel? Share your experiences!